General Motorcoach Spottings & Photos

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• Board Admin

Some interesting stuff about the new Department of National Defence Setras...

NDP campaign protests DND bus contract

OTTAWA - NDP MP Pat Martin (Winnipeg Centre) and NDP Defence Critic Dawn Black (New Westminster-Coquitlam) were joined in Ottawa today by Dave Ritchie, Canadian Vice-President of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), to present a national postcard petition campaign calling on the Conservative Government to put Canada first in military procurement contracts.

“We make the best buses in the world right here in Canada,” says Martin. “Both Motor Coach Industries (MCI) of Winnipeg and Prevost Industries in Quebec can build top-notch Canadian buses to carry our troops, but because of this government’s asinine procurement policies, neither Canadian company won the contract.”

SETRA, a subsidiary of DaimlerChrysler, won the contract to build 30 troop carrier buses by less than 0.5%, which represents approximately $2000 per unit on buses that cost nearly $500,000 each. But the IAMAW is now calling on the government to cancel this order for carrier buses and re-tender the contract in a competition between the Canadian bus manufacturers.

“How does this make sense?” asks Dave Ritchie, Canadian President of IAMAW whose Lodge 1953 represents the workers at MCI. “Not only do we lose the jobs to an off-shore competitor, but the government loses all the income and business tax revenue which would have paid for a big part of the total cost of the buses!”

“The Canadian manufacturing sector is getting slaughtered out there,” says Ritchie, “and our own minister of public works is giving jobs away. Government spending should create jobs at home, not in Germany!”

Black says military procurement contracts should provide the best equipment at the best value for Canadian Forces, but the government must seriously consider the industrial benefits to Canadians. "Harper’s Conservatives are on a multi-billion dollar spending spree to beef up the armed forces, but I'm concerned that everyday Canadian workers are not feeling the benefits of this spending."

“If we don’t support our Canadian manufacturers, who will?” said Martin.

From http://www.ndp.ca/page/5825

IN THE NEWS: Buy Canadian buses, postcard campaign urges Contract unfair to Motor Coach: MP

Tue 30 Oct 2007.

PUBLICATION: WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

PAGE: A7

Byline: Mia Rabson

Thousands of postcards from angry Canadians demanding that the federal government rethink a military bus contract will be dropped off on Prime Minister Stephen Harper's doorstep today.

Winnipeg NDP MP Pat Martin and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers put together the postcard campaign after the Department of National Defence awarded a $14-million bus contract to a German company, over a competing bid from Winnipeg-based Motor Coach Industries that was only $60,000 more.

Setra, a division of auto-manufacturer Daimler-Chrysler, offered to make 30 troop-carrying buses for about $2,000 less per bus.

"For the price of a set of tires, Stephen Harper chose to sell out 1,000 Manitoba workers," Martin said.

He said the government should have used its made-in-Canada procurement policy to award the contract to Motor Coach or accept another bid from a Quebec firm.

"Our tax dollars are creating jobs in Germany," Martin said.

He argues the bids from the Canadian companies are worth more, when you factor in the taxes generated from creating or maintaining Canadian jobs. Motor Coach has previously estimated about $2.5 million in economic spinoffs were lost when the contract was awarded to Setra.

Martin also said the difference in cost was so small it would be wiped out just by sending national defence officials on one fact-finding mission to Germany to view the manufacturing facility there or inspect the buses before shipping.

He said because the department already has Motor Coach buses, it has staff who are trained to service and maintain those buses.

With new buses from Germany, there will have to be training paid for, as well as a new parts storage system.

"We've got a fairly compelling case here I think," Martin said.

The protesters are asking Ottawa to yank the German contract and retender it to the Canadian companies.

Manitoba senior MP Vic Toews said Martin is trying to politicize an independent tendering process that awarded the contract without political pressure.

He said the process was established by the former Liberal government in conjunction with all provincial governments, to prevent inappropriate political interference.

"As much as I would like to see work awarded to local Manitoba firms, it would not be appropriate for me to ignore the rule of law as Mr. Martin has suggested," Toews said. "If adopted, his advice could result in a massive legal liability and damage our international business reputation." Toews said his office has encouraged MCI to appeal the contract through the Canadian Internal Trade Tribunal, if the company feels the contract was not awarded properly.

• Board Admin

A coupe of H3-45s on 63 Avenue at 99 Street - one maroon Dudding Coach Lines one, and behind it was a bus numbered 188, possibly National, but the scheme was a generic one.

Diversified 2551 was at the Jubilee Auditorium.

A bunch of coaches were at Rexall Place, not sure what was going on there. Lots of school buses and RVs and cars too. Saw a MCI C or D from Ogopogo Lines?

It's a MCI J4500, sorry to correct you there. Spotted 2 Northwestern MCI EL3s along with Cantrail, Universal Prevosts and Universal EL 3s and International Js as well.

In downtown, spotted numerous CBLBC Prevosts, 2 Traxx Prevosts, and well as this MCI F series with frameless windows. Also spotted Super Sightseeing Tours Setra and Hesselgrave Vanhool near Chinatown.

• Board Admin

In town today...

ga262.jpg

Golden Arrow 262

dvba111.jpg

Drayton Valley Bus Association 111

glc925.jpg

Greyhound 925... I believe this is no longer with GLC. Decals were removed, and only the blue part of the side paint scheme was left on the bus.

glc925.jpg

Here is a photo I took of it in Vancouver in August 2007. Different plates and logos were still in tact then!

glc925.jpg

Greyhound 925... I believe this is no longer with GLC. Decals were removed, and only the blue part of the side paint scheme was left on the bus.

Ex-Greyhound 923 and 928 are both now with Thompson Valley Charters, so I suppose it's possible the same is true for that one. Hard to tell though.

I keep seeing this one MC-9/MC-12 hanging around Newmarket lately. Seen it twice, but have never been able to get a good look. It has no decals or company names, just pure grey with a black rear cap, so I think it is privately owned. If I can see it again and have my camera on me, I'll take some photos.