General Motorcoach Spottings & Photos

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I don't get to see very much of the older fleets for Diversified down here in Calgary, so it was nice to see this one today by the CP Rail Alyth yard. (Yes, Its a new coach to Diversified, but not a brand new coach) I only seem to see the newest equipment come done as far as Calgary (Mainly 2500 series Prevost X345's)

2731.jpg

2731r.jpg

Today in Calgary, Hawk Coach Lines MCI MC-7 #22 parked at the Greyhound Bus Depot. Overloads for long weekend? That old MC-7 is still in original looking shape.

Also the past two days, I have been seeing Cardinal MCI 102A3 #1734 now decalled as "First Canada". Interesting.... Oh and I seem to see Southland Commuter Coach MC-8 #990 out daily! Nice to see that bus still running around after all these years.

And a photo of #1734:

1734left.jpg

• Board Admin
TheStar.com - Ontario - Tourists on flipped bus tossed 'like a salad'

3e4b5bc24463892bfa54d31ec8de.jpeg

MICHAEL IVANIN PHOTO

Paramedics transport a victim who was injured after a passenger bus accident flipped on the eastbound QEW, between Burlington and Oakville.

March 25, 2008

DANIEL NOLAN

Torstar News Service

The driver of a bus carrying Mexican tourists that crashed on the QEW Monday says he was aiming to avoid causing a bigger accident when he pulled on to the shoulder and his bus toppled over.

Drago Halusan, 59, also said his bus was hit at the rear as he was bringing the tourists back to Toronto Monday afternoon from a day trip to Niagara Falls.

"I checked that and, as I was looking back, the traffic was really slowing down," he said.

"I went from the centre lane to the right lane and it was still getting too close so I went to the shoulder.

"I was basically stopped and it was on a slant and (the bus) slowly went over."

OPP received a call at about 5:15 p.m. of a bus striking a Honda vehicle and then rolling over into a ditch on the QEW just east of Appleby Line.

"It appears at this point that the driver was taking evasive action because of traffic all blocked off and for some reason (the bus) went off the roadway," says Const. Graham Williamson of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Thirteen of the 48 people on the bus were taken to area hospitals, but none had serious injuries.

The remainder were taken back to their two Toronto hotels by buses dispatched by Canadian Tours, which organized their one-week vacation.

The injured ranged in age from 11 to 45 and included students from a Gr. 6 class from Mexico City.

The accident occurred between Appleby Line and Burloak Dr. in Burlington.

The bus landed on the fence that separates the South Service Rd. from the highway. Passengers climbed out through the roof hatch or the front window.

Carlos DeLeon, 12, was talking to a teacher when the accident happened. "I heard some screams," he said. "Everybody went like a mixed salad."

Halusan has been charged with careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act.

With files from Chris Jai Centeno

Tour bus flips on QEW

13 taken to hospital as Mexican visitors jolted

By IAN ROBERTSON AND KEVIN CONNOR, SUN MEDIA

BURLINGTON -- Almost 50 Mexican tourists crawled out through the smashed front windshield and roof hatches after a tour bus flipped on the busy QEW late yesterday afternoon.

OPP Const. Graham Williamson said 13 of the 49 bus occupants were taken to Joseph Brant Memorial and Oakville-Trafalgar hospitals with minor injuries after the mishap around 5:10 p.m. east of Appleby Line near Burlington.

Most of the 48 passengers aboard the R&J McMynn Leasing coach, which was returning to Toronto from a day trip organized by Canadian Tours to Niagara Falls, were from Mexico, Williamson said. The youngest were several Grade 6 students, aged 10 to 12.

He said the crash occurred when the driver "took evasive action due to congestion" on the freeway packed with holiday and rush-hour travellers.

Passengers reported a vehicle driving too close just before the bus went into a ditch and rolled onto its side.

One of the four east-bound lanes was blocked by OPP and Halton Regional Police cruisers, plus ambulances and two trucks, while vehicles eased past in the other three lanes.

Passenger Jesus de la Paz, 23, said he was dozing when a conversation between nearby passengers woke him.

As he listened, de la Paz became aware of a white Honda SUV close to the bus.

"The driver tried to avoid the car, but the left side of the bus hit the Honda," he told the Sun.

Passengers were tossed around, but quickly kicked out the front windshield to escape. Others passed dazed small children through the two roof ports.

Everyone was wearing warm clothing and no one appeared seriously hurt, said de la Paz, a psychologist who flew with his parents and sister to Pearson airport from Guadalahara on Sunday for their first visit to Canada.

Passengers were placed in a Burlington transit bus while alternative transportation arrangements were made to get the shaken group back to Toronto.

"I'm surprised how calm the children are. I'm more nervous than the kids," said tour operator Oscar de la Mora, who was travelling in a second bus with other Mexican tourists.

"Many want to phone their family back home and we can help with that.

"We are going to try and make sure they enjoy the rest of their trip."

SUV DISAPPEARED

Police said the bus driver was unhurt, as was the driver of a small car that followed the bus into the ditch to avoid traffic.

The Honda SUV disappeared.

The crash occurred on the de la Paz family's second day of a one-week visit, he said. "There was nobody hurt and things happen."

Their next stop -- Ottawa today.

Provincial police are still investigating the incident and say it is too soon to know if any charges will be laid, Williamson said.

• Board Admin

L&M Charters 116 is a Prevost LeMirage XL-45. They might be the owners of that Q-Bus that has a scheme similar to Calgary Transit's triple stripe one. Their yard (or some other coach company's yard) is right nearby.

lmcharter116.jpg

• Board Admin

Diversified 2707 is black, was turning from 97 Street onto Yellowhead EB. 2749 was at Fort Road Bingo (no red stripe along the side), and 2746 was turning from 137 Avenue onto 97 Street SB.

Calgary Motor Coach A3

dt2749r.jpg

• Board Admin

Saw Diversified 2712 southbound on 97 Street at Yellowhead Trail.

Forgot to mention yesterday I saw Loran Charter 219 from Hanna, AB, which is a MC-9. Blue on white colored scheme.

Also forgot to mention a few days ago that there were a crap ton (probably at least 10-15) of LeMirage/X3 entertainer coaches at Rexall Place.

perhaps they are going to be used for shuttle purposes?

That's what I have been thinking. Last summer they were testing a D4505 on the Ice Fields shuttle run along side their MC-9's and 102A3's. The MC-9's are getting up there in age being 1981-1983 models and they may be thinking about replacing these units. Another idea I was thinking was maybe these new D4505's are to replace the older 102A3's and C3's that are still in Charter service and then the latter will replace the MC-9's.

That's what I have been thinking. Last summer they were testing a D4505 on the Ice Fields shuttle run along side their MC-9's and 102A3's. The MC-9's are getting up there in age being 1981-1983 models and they may be thinking about replacing these units. Another idea I was thinking was maybe these new D4505's are to replace the older 102A3's and C3's that are still in Charter service and then the latter will replace the MC-9's.

I like the second idea better, place all the remaining A's and C's into Snow Shuttle service and new coaches would be for charter/touring services. Also it would make more sense that way, I mean why put brand new good looking coaches onto shuttle service when you can impress charter passengers with it, passengers that will be riding the coach for the whole day or multiple days. Passengers who might otherwise get an older C series MCI.

International Stage Lines adds two clean-diesel J4500s to all-MCI fleet

SCHAUMBURG, IL — March 31, 2008 — International Stage Lines, Richmond, British Columbia, has taken delivery of its first new J4500s with clean-diesel technology. The coaches are equipped with Detroit Diesel Series 60 engines, ZF ASTronic transmissions and Blaupunkt entertainment systems.

Brad Sidjak, director of sales and marketing, is pleased about going green. Pointing to the growth of travel sites that let travelers assess their carbon footprint and buy carbon credits, he believes the clean-diesel J4500s can help reach eco-conscious travelers. "Consumers are becoming very well-educated on carbon emissions. They are more aware of the impact their vehicles have, and I think it’s a great time for the coach industry to demonstrate its desire to be part of the solution. We're impressed with the clean diesel, and I see a great advantage to promoting it."

The new J4500s join an all-MCI fleet of 40 coaches. Twelve of them are J4500s, the industry's most popular tour coach. "We choose MCI because of the reliability of the MCI product," said Sidjak. "The J is a very modern-looking coach, and our customers are pleased with them. Everyone loves those buses.

http://www.mcicoach.com/enTouchCMS/app/vie...ument?docID=597

• Board Admin

The one in the picture appears to be 999, so I'm assuming the other one is 998 or 1000.

You have a photo of 988 (J4500). :lol: On my website there are photos of 990, 992 and 996.

Diversified 1943 was in town today too.