TTC Service Changes

Mike

I'm sorry but these cuts are unfair.

Residents fought for years to get service on 96C/F and will have it cut in an instant. Why not cut the empty 11 Bayview durung late evening? The ridership is comparable to 51 Leslie and they both service hopsitals. Keep 11C running you have to.

43B is understandable cut.

Also why not 82 Rosedale? Late night service on that route is also ineffective.

115 Silver Hills is a cut I'm not surprised to see at all same for the 5/6. Plain empty at night.

122 Graydon Hall? Less than 12 rides per hour? When did they ride it the last run?

Either way they had better increase service on 95 since it is jam packed with these routes at night

162 is not a surprise either but the 167/169 are going to hurt many residents.

I just hope TTC re allocates some of these buses to the core routes such as 7/25/29/95 etc.

Unless you are one of the passengers that has come to depend on these services!

Stop the gravy train; the war on the car is over! The war on the transit rider has begun!!

The list only included services to be eliminated. Services to be reduced are not included. So, hopefully, there will also be many frequency reductions all around. It is time for the TTC gravy train to end. The time of the latte-drinking, transit-riding, downtown spending elites is over. It is time for the Average Joe to take over Toronto. Time for people who know the value of a dollar, who know what it actually means to spend money. Rob Ford is a millionaire-by-inheritence, so no doubt he knows the value of a dollar and has more experience controlling spending better than anyone. I can't think of anyone better than Rob Ford at representing the hardworking, Average Joe Torontonian. STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN!

The list only included services to be eliminated. Services to be reduced are not included. So, hopefully, there will also be many frequency reductions all around. It is time for the TTC gravy train to end. The time of the latte-drinking, transit-riding, downtown spending elites is over. It is time for the Average Joe to take over Toronto. Time for people who know the value of a dollar, who know what it actually means to spend money. Rob Ford is a millionaire-by-inheritence, so no doubt he knows the value of a dollar and has more experience controlling spending better than anyone. I can't think of anyone better than Rob Ford at representing the hardworking, Average Joe Torontonian. STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN!

If you lived on one of those affected routes you would have a different opinion. So quit running your mouth like an idiot!

Rob Ford is a millionaire-by-inheritence, so no doubt he knows the value of a dollar and has more experience controlling spending better than anyone. I can't think of anyone better than Rob Ford at representing the hardworking, Average Joe Torontonian. STOP THE GRAVY TRAIN!

As opposed to someone who's worked hard and earned their millions? Or someone who's studied the best places to allocate money in a transit system?

It's like someone learning martial arts. They spend years learning and mastering the skills, and by the time they do they have also learned not to use them for doing harm, which is a built-in check. But if you hand over those skills to someone without them taking time to learn and respect them, they're going to wield it like a kid finding their fathers gun.

Lets stop the gravy train, add some cheese curds and french fries and send it Rob Fords way.. even better for a man of his size.

yum!

and ngdvd you sound like a idiot who would buy into rob ford.. guess you agree on rob ford's belief on castrating the homeless as well?

Hear Hear!

Hear hear, indeed. Castration of the homeless and other population control methods are the key solving Toronto's fiscal woes. It's exactly as Rob Ford said: Toronto should ban all immigration because the city's infrastructure woes are caused by immigrants. Just stop all immigration, and problem solved: no need to spend so much money on the TTC - that's Rob Ford's solution. People should be encouraged to find their own way to get around anyways, because Canada is not supposed to be a communist country, people shouldn't be so reliant on the government.

I'm sorry but these cuts are unfair.

I second that. I was really pissed off to see that they want to cut 86D service down to rush hour only. The thing that pisses me off here is that they want to cut it down to worse service than it was before the November 2008 improvements. According to my research, 86D has had weekday service all day until 7pm since at least 1984 when it was the 114 and now they want to cut it down to rush hour service only? There are a ton of people who rely on 86D because 54A is unreliable along with the fact that 86D riders have a much longer walk from 54A to their homes, or even jobs (along Coronation). It might not have 12 riders in both directions like the Toronto Star article says these route cuts are partially based on but it definitely has 12 riders in at least one direction depending on the time of day. For example, in early evening service it has at least 12 riders going east of Morningside. If anything I think they should at least have the following service on 86D: Monday-Friday service goes until 10pm while weekend service runs until 7pm. If they go ahead with the reduction of service to peak periods only then they better improve 54A service considerably as the loss of 86D will increase trip times for many people headed to/from the subway. I find it hard to believe that routes like 33 has more riders to warrant midday service and routes like 127 and 135 have more riders to warrant weekday and early evening service. Whenever I've ridden these routes at those times they only have about 2-5 passengers.

A route like 116A/E could be saved if they tweaked service. For example, 116E service could be changed to service 86E stops along Kingston Rd on weekends and possibly even during evening service. Ridership could be increased in this way. They aleady added Markham/Eglinton to the stop list so why not the other 86E stops between Celeste and Morningside.

Could anyone provide me with the list of proposed service cuts from 2007?

Doing away with vehicle registration tax: -$60

Increase to TTC Riders annually: $60

Coinkydink? He's just shifting the cost of getting rid of that tax to transit riders. It would have been better if there was a compromise to make everyone happy. Lower the tax to $30. Lessen the blow to transit riders.

I would suggest the elimination of Saturday and Sunday services on the 196A, there may be some small demand but there are alternatives.

Afternoon rush hours Express buses to Seneca College are also redundant, local service may be useful in supplementing the section between Don Mills & Yonge.

I would suggest the elimination of Saturday and Sunday services on the 196A, there may be some small demand but there are alternatives.

Afternoon rush hours Express buses to Seneca College are also redundant, local service may be useful in supplementing the section between Don Mills & Yonge.

They just added these services so they wouldnt touch them. I can see them eliminating service on 199 in the future.

That can be said for a lot of the service they want to cut. A lot of the service proposed to be cut was added in November 2008.

I'm kind of surprised the 91A branch wasn't a casualty. This service is not only very lightly used (especially at the north end) but schedule adherence by most operators is nothing short of abysmal. However, even improving that last aspect isn't going to change the ridership much.

Doesn't the 199 service all the usual express stops: Bayview, Leslie, and Don Mills? I haven't taken Finch East since summer, but I took it back and forth to Seneca College from September '09 to last summer. There are a lot of Don-Mills-bound people on the "express buses to Seneca College", whether in the morning or the afternoon. There is very little demand at local stops east of Leslie. I've been on local 39 buses that have run non-stop from Leslie to Yonge.

Keep in mind that another reason for express service in the non-peak direction is to get buses quickly back to the other end of the route to start collecting passengers on the peak direction. There's also a fair amount of counter-peak travel in Finch East, especially westbound to Yonge in the afternoons.

72 Pape No 72A service south of Eastern Avenue to Commissioners and Union Station after 10:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday, September-May. No 72A service south of Eastern Avenue to Commissioners and Union Station after 7:00 p.m., Sundays and holidays, September-May.

So no service to the distillery district after dark. Great! And no service to all those people who live on Esplanade.

94 Wellesley No service west of Wellesley Station after 10:00 p.m., Sundays and holidays.

This route serves students who get off class late at U of T.

43 Kennedy No 43B (Kennedy Stn-Scarborough Centre Stn via Progress) service after 7:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday. No 43B (Kennedy Stn-Scarborough Centre Stn via Progress) service on Sundays and holidays.

Doesn't this route serve a lot of connections at STC?

72 Pape No 72A service south of Eastern Avenue to Commissioners and Union Station after 10:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday, September-May. No 72A service south of Eastern Avenue to Commissioners and Union Station after 7:00 p.m., Sundays and holidays, September-May.

So no service to the distillery district after dark. Great! And no service to all those people who live on Esplanade.

94 Wellesley No service west of Wellesley Station after 10:00 p.m., Sundays and holidays.

43 Kennedy No 43B (Kennedy Stn-Scarborough Centre Stn via Progress) service after 7:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday. No 43B (Kennedy Stn-Scarborough Centre Stn via Progress) service on Sundays and holidays.

Doesn't this route serve a lot of connections at STC?

The 43B goes through an industrial through it's whole routing along Progess to STC.

I don't get the 72A cutback, considering the Distillery District is one a tourist area downtown.

I'm also not happy with the cut back on Wellesley. I would think that stretch would get more than 12 rides an hour, considering Sunday service was recently bumped to 13.5 from 18 minutes.

Somehow I doubt that U of T has classes on Sunday nights ending after 10 p.m. :angry:
I don't get the 72A cutback, considering the Distillery District is one a tourist area downtown.
I guess the tourists/destillery visitors will have to take the Parliament bus or take the King streetcar (500 meter walk).

TTC rider organizing to save threatened night buses

Tess Kalinowski

Transportation Reporter

David Rider Urban Affairs Bureau Chief

Michael Binetti thought he was done with meetings to save public transit when Ontario Premier Mike Harris left office.

But the Ryerson planning student is back at it again — this time fighting the proposed cuts to 48 late-night, weekend and off-peak bus routes.

“We’re back to 1996,” he said Tuesday of an era that saw TTC ridership plummet as cutbacks led to drastic service cuts and overcrowding.

So Binetti hopes to attend a special TTC board meeting Wednesday at which the cuts will be discussed. He’s also organizing his own meeting in the evening for like-minded riders, who want to save the threatened service.

“These buses may not be packed, but they provide walking distance to neighbourhoods. If we’re going to build a city where people don’t rely on their car, they need to know they don’t have to walk 15 to 20 minutes to their bus stop late at night,” said Binetti, who has run for council twice in Ward 38, Scarborough Centre.

Over the years, Binetti, who has belonged to other Toronto transit groups, has spent a lot of time on night buses, commuting to food service jobs and a call centre.

He still rides the 9 Bellamy bus, one of the routes slated for cuts to late-night and weekend service. Sometimes there are three people on the bus, sometimes it’s packed, he said.

The TTC says it is considering reduced service only on buses that run with 12 or fewer people an hour both ways.

“These little routes mean people still have an option available. There’s not necessarily taxpayer money being wasted if the bus has only five people on it late at night,” he said.

Those interested in fighting the service cuts are being invited to gather at the Starbucks on King and Yonge Sts. after 7 p.m. Wednesday.

Article