Ontario Northland

Timmins Man

Heard on the News last night that Ontario Northern(Coach Division) will be doing a Ottawa-Sudbury/Sudbury-Ottawa route.

I'm not sure when its going to start but from the news report it stated:

Sudbury to Ottawa

Thursday Friday Saturday

Ottawa-Sudbury

Friday Saturday Monday

no times where given so I'm not sure of the exact schedule(Times)

Stop will be in Ottawa, Renfrew, Cobdum, Sudbury I'm not sure of any other stops?

I thought Greyhound already had this route?

Ottawa-Pembrooke-North Bay-Sudbury?

Anyway it'll be interesting to see some "New Players" in the Ottawa area either then Greyhound(Inter-city)

Greyhound doesn't even want their Northern Ontario runs, they also don't even care about western Canada. What Greyhound is more focused on is their Montreal-Ottawa, Ottawa-Kingston-Bellville-Toronto, Toronto-London-Windsor-Detroit-Chicago and Toronto-Niagara Falls-Buffalo-New York City corridors.

They just want all express trips from one city to another.

here's the PDF of the Sudbury-North Bay-Pembroke-Ottawa schedule. Does it look to anyone else like ONTC are leaving the door open to extend the route to/from the Sault?

http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/sites/default/files/mcs_sched_650_and_660_effjan21_2016.v3.pdf

My first thought was that they had scheduled it so the driver worked a minimum number of hours: Leave Sudbury as late as possible in the day, stay in Ottawa overnight, then leave first thing the next morning. This does happen to line up with an extension to the west, but it doesn't strike me as a primary concern.

Why does ONT charge much more per km than Greyhound? If it's subsidized then it should be cheaper...

Not that you have many other options.

It would be nice if you get a discount if you bought a ticket to or from Toronto to North bay and then on to somewhere between ottawa and North Bay.

Why does ONT charge much more per km than Greyhound? If it's subsidized then it should be cheaper...

Not that you have many other options.

It would be nice if you get a discount if you bought a ticket to or from Toronto to North bay and then on to somewhere between ottawa and North Bay.

You're assuming Greyhound have the same costs. Not only is Greyhound a massive organisation but routes in northern Ontario are long and thin.

I also wondered why the Express and Local Buses to Timmins and Sudbury depart around the same time?

Would it not make sense to have staggered departure times through the day? Or is it so that if one bus is full, the passengers overflow to the other one?

It will be interesting to see if this is just a one run thing for Ontario Northland or If you're gonna see them do a Sault Ste Marie to North Bay and Sudbury schedule.? Im sure the Demand from Ottawa to Sudbury is their as Both Greyhound schedules were over 50% capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

Handy schedule allows smoother, shorter connections with other ONTC services (Toronto/North Bay/Toronto, Hearst/Sudbury/Hearst) and Maheux services (North Bay/Rouyn-Noranda), which was not the case with Greyhound ― it does not even bother stopping at the ONTC terminal in Sudbury. Expanding to Soo would place this line as the east-west backbone of ONTC, creating a comprenhensive network of regional transportation despite repeated cuts in the schedules.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Has Ontario Northland ever retired any Prevost X3-45s at all? I had a charter today with a X3-45 with AU coach tours and on the inside of the front door, there's a Ontario Northland customer and employee expectations notice decal.

IMG_20170518_170345.thumb.jpg.afe0aa0cf92f69704e1fe8936def1f90.jpg

IMG_20170518_165526.thumb.jpg.d5576b92d981308123eef94cbf80ca70.jpg

IMG_20170518_170414.thumb.jpg.6a914631a50c284960fb55ba3ff3f7c0.jpg

52 minutes ago, noahrp24 said:

Has Ontario Northland ever retired any Prevost X3-45s at all? I had a charter today with a X3-45 with AU coach tours and on the inside of the front door, there's a Ontario Northland customer and employee expectations notice decal.

It might be possible that they have gotten rid of some of the ex-Orléans coaches (5334-5336), those were X3-45 coaches from 2007.

If this is the case, sounds like they're now on a 10-year lifespan like their southern counterparts at GO Transit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

IMG_20170518_170345.thumb.jpg.afe0aa0cf92f69704e1fe8936def1f90.jpg

if you walk close enough to the window you may able to see the fainted fleet numbers.  That's how I figured out the fleet number of its previous owner(s).

• 2 months later...