TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

• 2 weeks later...

This is not an irregularity but a question. Why doesn't the TTC make the northbound 81 sign like the westbound 101 sign? When 101 is heading westbound since it's route name and terminus are the same it has a front sign that says "101 Parc Downsview Park" without a bottom like that says the terminus. Why doesn't the TTC do the same for 81 and make the northbound sign say "81 Thornecliffe Park" only instead of "(top) 81 Thornecliffe Park (bottom) To Thorneciffe Park"?

This is not an irregularity but a question. Why doesn't the TTC make the northbound 81 sign like the westbound 101 sign? When 101 is heading westbound since it's route name and terminus are the same it has a front sign that says "101 Parc Downsview Park" without a bottom like that says the terminus. Why doesn't the TTC do the same for 81 and make the northbound sign say "81 Thornecliffe Park" only instead of "(top) 81 Thornecliffe Park (bottom) To Thorneciffe Park"?

101 actually does have the proper programming, I remember 1066 displaying "101 (Top) Parc Downsview Park (Bottom) To Downsview Station" once out of the 6 times I saw it that day. Even though the destination may be the same, it looks a lot better and standardized to have it the way it is. I wish the 101 would display it that way more often.

99 Arrow Road is sort of an exception (route name and terminus are not the same), but still displays the route name without a destination.

101 actually does have the proper programming, I remember 1066 displaying "101 (Top) Parc Downsview Park (Bottom) To Downsview Station" once out of the 6 times I saw it that day. Even though the destination may be the same, it looks a lot better and standardized to have it the way it is. I wish the 101 would display it that way more often.

When 101 is going to Downsview Station it is two lined (like how you saw it). When it is going to Downsview Park it is one lined.

99 Arrow Road is sort of an exception (route name and terminus are not the same), but still displays the route name without a destination.

99 doesn't really have a terminus. But there is a code programmed to make the sign say "99 (top) Arrow Road (bottom) To Jane"

It's actually 'To Downsveiw Stn' on the bottom, stupidly enough... I'm not sure if they've changed the programming or not.

• 11 months later...
Not exactly an irregularity, but a typo. 169 is still displaying "To Sheppard Stn" on route back to Don Mills Station. I better get some pics before they finally change it.

Not all buses on that route say that. Only a few buses that haven't been programmed.

You have to find that specific bus on 169 again.

61 northbound. The rear sign does a tiny version of "61" as a pose to the big, bolded version. 61A northbound is normal.

It's indiscrimiate to the horizon and MAX displays.

Is the '61' superscript size? If so, 131 does that too on the Horizons.

• 1 month later...

The latest program for the Illuminators, which was mostly done to correct the position of the route number, also corrected a number of issues as well.

The biggest issue was that with the signs recessed within the window, the route numbers were hard to see when viewed at an angle from the open-side. The correction was to shift the route numbers inward, which has corrected the problem.

The other issue corrected was that the bottom line used for the route destination (or any "via" messages) was changed to using the unbolded font in all cases (except for "express" and "short turn"). Also, any previous displays which had the route number the same size as the route name (61A, 100D, 49A, 32C to name a few) have since been corrected to display properly, with a large route number (in the case of 49A though, it was simply deleted).

It seems as though in many cases, with the change, the side sign programming was copied from similar signs. For example, the 35B code seems to have been copied from 35C, so the side signs respond identically. Unfortunately, this has led to a lot of displays reacting like the old GM displays (where the route number was only bolded with it displayed the route name). I for one am a perfectionist, and as much as this bugs me, its still an improvement over what we had before.

The other issue is that in many cases, based on the older MEGA-MAX signs, there are many that omit the word "TO". 32D westbound is one. Most eastbound 58's also omit this (except 58A, which for some reason has the word "TO" in the display). This is something that likely won't be corrected in the long run, unless someone in programming gets bored some day. Or I get access to overhaul the entire thing, free of charge of course, to put all of this imperfections and abnormalities to rest!

As previously mentioned, I'll put a few updates out. With the new coding, 101 still says "downsveiw" and 169A has been corrected to Don Mills Stn instead of Sheppard Stn.

The biggest issue right now ... All those sparkly-clean (for now) 1700-1800 series buses we're getting don't have the new programming, likely because Orion hasn't received the newest update yet.

EDIT: Whoops this is destination sign irregularities not AA sign irregularities *headsmack*

I noticed the 193 Ex Rockets say "Dufferin Loop" while the 29s say "Dufferin Gate"

AA Irregularities:

The 193 Ex Rocket says it makes a stop at Bloor St West when leaving Dundas West station, then it kicks into Express mode. For some reason, the "Express Service" is indented/off centre on the LED board while "Dufferin Loop" is perfectly centred.

A lot of the 49s say "Acorn Av" which is a block west of the actual route.

Also, the 50 Burnhamthorpe now says "400 The East Mall" instead of just "The East Mall". Why this was changed is beyond me.

Does the AA work on the 193 rocket? I took the 193 three times so far this year, and everytime the AA call out all the local stops.

im wondering if the route has been added, or if its just the drivers who dont know what mode to put the system in

EDIT: Whoops this is destination sign irregularities not AA sign irregularities *headsmack*

I noticed the 193 Ex Rockets say "Dufferin Loop" while the 29s say "Dufferin Gate"

AA Irregularities:

The 193 Ex Rocket says it makes a stop at Bloor St West when leaving Dundas West station, then it kicks into Express mode. For some reason, the "Express Service" is indented/off centre on the LED board while "Dufferin Loop" is perfectly centred.

A lot of the 49s say "Acorn Av" which is a block west of the actual route.

Also, the 50 Burnhamthorpe now says "400 The East Mall" instead of just "The East Mall". Why this was changed is beyond me.

Does the AA work on the 193 rocket? I took the 193 three times so far this year, and everytime the AA call out all the local stops.

im wondering if the route has been added, or if its just the drivers who dont know what mode to put the system in

Yeah it works, I rode it yesterday. Except it announces Bloor St West before express service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QfWBRa_8E

The other issue corrected was that the bottom line used for the route destination (or any "via" messages) was changed to using the unbolded font in all cases (except for "express" and "short turn"). Also, any previous displays which had the route number the same size as the route name (61A, 100D, 49A, 32C to name a few) have since been corrected to display properly, with a large route number (in the case of 49A though, it was simply deleted).

Maybe it's just that Queensway hasn't reprogrammed some of their 8000s but if they have then the 110A & 110B still display the route number on the top line only.

The other issue is that in many cases, based on the older MEGA-MAX signs, there are many that omit the word "TO". 32D westbound is one. Most eastbound 58's also omit this (except 58A, which for some reason has the word "TO" in the display). This is something that likely won't be corrected in the long run, unless someone in programming gets bored some day. Or I get access to overhaul the entire thing, free of charge of course, to put all of this imperfections and abnormalities to rest!

As previously mentioned, I'll put a few updates out. With the new coding, 101 still says "downsveiw" and 169A has been corrected to Don Mills Stn instead of Sheppard Stn.

The biggest issue right now ... All those sparkly-clean (for now) 1700-1800 series buses we're getting don't have the new programming, likely because Orion hasn't received the newest update yet.

I guess it took them a while to realize the 169 error (To Sheppard Stn). I'm pretty sure some people have already gotten pics before they changed it. It was interesting though, reminded me of the days before the Sheppard Subway.

95E westbound displays "Express > To York Mills" (where's Stn?)

Maybe it's just that Queensway hasn't reprogrammed some of their 8000s but if they have then the 110A & 110B still display the route number on the top line only.

I haven't seen any Queensway bus with those Luminator signs (even 7350) with the update. All of then still have an older program thus far.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to bump a decade old thread, especially you @TransitFan88, I found the latest sign illregularites on the 900-series express buses as well as some local routes.

• The 43A KENNEDY and 343 KENNEDY southbound buses have read KENNEDY with no spaces.
  • Since 2014, all 67 PHARMACY buses has letters now spaced out reading "P H A R M A C Y".
  • 123F SHERWAY has the exposures on the front similar to the style used in 2007.
  • 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS buses read 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS > TO KIPLING SUBWAY on the southbound exposures.
  • 902 MARKHAM ROAD EXPRESS signs are spaced to the right except for the number.
  • 905 EGLINTON EAST EXPRESS buses on the side signs programmed to display: 905 EGLINTON  > EAST > EXPRESS > TO U of T SCARBOROUGH
  • Some routes like 23 DAWES and 40 JUNCTION have lacked the "TO" when they are terminating at subway stations.