TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

I saw this the other day, but one of the 12 branches has CHK MW on the rear.

This happens every so often with the P/R messages, but this is a first for a proper destination sign that i've seen.

CHK MW stands for "Check Memory Writer". This is shown on destination signs when nothing is programed for that sign. For example, some P/R messages are shown on the front and side signs but nothing was programed to show on the rear sign. I've seen "Check MW" before on the front and side signs as well.

on the 167 pharmacy north, the orion 7's rear sign flashes 167... even with no P/R messages

Are you sure. I've never seen this happen to VIIs on 167. The driver of the bus you saw must have entered an incorrect P/R code, which makes all three signs change between being blank and showing the route destination info.

Are you sure. I've never seen this happen to VIIs on 167. The driver of the bus you saw must have entered an incorrect P/R code, which makes all three signs change between being blank and showing the route destination info.

well i have seen this at least 4 times on different trips to don mills stn and it was only the rear sign.... although, the last time i saw this was in march....

well i have seen this at least 4 times on different trips to don mills stn and it was only the rear sign.... although, the last time i saw this was in march....

Hmm...Interesting. I'm gonna have to check that out for myself next time I'm at Don Mills Station.

This happens every so often with the P/R messages, but this is a first for a proper destination sign that i've seen.

That would be the 12A set to Kennedy Stn via Midland. 12A to Victoria Park Stn displays the proper 12A on the rear sign.

I think this might have been an error in the most recent upgrade. I noticed VIIs on 32 doing this to yesterday as well, they use to have no problems displaying 32 in the rear sign before. Although, I think only when 32 to Renforth is shown this happens.

Yesterday, when I was playing with the destination code pad on 1048 just before the driver started her crew as run 36 on 35 JANE, 4 should have shown this: S H E P P A R D; SUBWAY SHUTTLE; TO DON MILLS STN. But on the signs on the outside said CHECK MW, when the interior sign said S H E P P A R D; SUBWAY SHUTTLE; TO DON MILLS STN. Can someone explain why this was so??

Yesterday, when I was playing with the destination code pad on 1048 just before the driver started her crew as run 36 on 35 JANE, 4 should have shown this: S H E P P A R D; SUBWAY SHUTTLE; TO DON MILLS STN. But on the signs on the outside said CHECK MW, when the interior sign said S H E P P A R D; SUBWAY SHUTTLE; TO DON MILLS STN. Can someone explain why this was so??

This is probably another error to add to the list of new errors which most likely started after the most recent upgrade.

Birchmount doesnt have to worry about all these new errors, there signs havent been upgraded since early 2007! lol Eglinton has hadd 2 upgrades since!

This is probably another error to add to the list of new errors which most likely started after the most recent upgrade.

Here are a couple more. The University-Spadina shuttles today morning were showing "1" in the rear destination sign going southbound and "CHK > MW" when going northbound. Also, the rear signs on the Bay buses I saw yesterday switched between 6 and a blank sign when going southbound, they didn't do this when I saw the same buses going northbound. And Lastly, 7817 on the shuttle this morning was showing the proper Spadina Subway Shuttle > Southbound and the "I'm A New Bus" P/R, the error though was that it only stayed on the P/R for 1 second each time.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a good example:

38 HIGHLAND CREEK (top)

ROUGE HILL GO STN (bottom)On Orion V-Lifts (front sign)

On the Orion VII NGs 38 HIGHLAND CREEK (top)

This time it says TO ROUGE HILL GO STN (bottom)

That's not an irregularity. The Mega:MAX signs on the Vs are a lot smaller pixel-wise than the Horizons on the NGs, so they can't fit as many characters on the bottom line. By irregularity we mean, well scroll up to see what we mean.

There was a bus on what I presume was 53 with the sign reading "EXPRESS - FINCH STATION"

While at the TTC roadeo, we found out that you can put any major station on the destination sign. I don't remember the number, but the driver must've put the Finch Station code on with the Express P/R code.

Well, the TTC isn't the only system with signage inconsistencies. YRT also has some inconsistencies with routes like 1, which could perfectly fit everything onto two lines with a large "1" on the left. Others include 18, 85, 301, etc.

YRT is just random garbage. Whatever the programmers were too lazy to format into 1-lined they've left as 2 lines (so many many routes are split, one direction 2-lined and the other 1-lined). The various styles too don't help (some have superscript TOs, others have their TOs aligned with the rest of the sign...). I'm ONLY happy that the 9/15 series got proper programming that the drivers (mostly) use correctly, MUCH better than route 9A M-S Hosp...

• 3 weeks later...