TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

On 6/21/2023 at 5:29 PM, CJ. said:

I wouldn't really be surprised if someone is doing this on purpose to be honest

I doubt that the employees in the destination sign programming department are disgruntled enough to do that. More like ops picking the destination sign that they think is most appropriate to where they are going, since there isn't anything you can say or do for passengers that is clear enough that they understand even when they bother to read the sign or listen to the external audible destination announcement.

Put in simpler terms, you are at St Clair station on a run in trip, you are headed westbound to run in to Leslie Barns, so you sign it up to say:

"512 to Leslie and Queen via King" which is the appropriate sign, but you never touch King street at any point (takes College/Carlton/.../Queen east right now). You are a westbound streetcar from Yonge Street headed towards Leslie and Queen which is east of Yonge???? How does that make sense to the average person?

A lot of people have no clue about directions, they have their heads buried so far up their google maps step by step directions that they don't understand NWES map directions. Throw in a closure where they have to take an alternate route, and they are overwhelmed.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:05 AM, Articulated said:

Currently on board 4405, which is displaying the rather unusual sign:

509 HARBOURFRONT / SHORT TURN / TO EXHIBITION / via KING

This is a anomaly that only happens Westbound at Queens Quay station. something to do with the Vision system geofencing. the 510 cars also share this glitch.  {510 SPADINA / SHORT TURN / TO SPADINA STATION / via KING}  once the car leaves the platform, the sign will reset to normal.

Also, Fun Fact:

If the car at Union Station leaves with a "Short Turn" sign already up, when the car reaches Queens Quay station, the bottom line of the sign will become blank, and will not reset, unless its manually done by the operator.

• Like 1

It seems like TTC sign programmers have been sleeping at night. The 341 KEELE BLUE NIGHT signs are just outright outdated.

Southbound 341 to High Park Stn (this is the Keele Stn elevator construction sign which ended in 2020)

Northbound 341 to York University and Steeles (this is the pre-TYSSE sign)

4 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It seems like TTC sign programmers have been sleeping at night. The 341 KEELE BLUE NIGHT signs are just outright outdated.

Southbound 341 to High Park Stn (this is the Keele Stn elevator construction sign which ended in 2020)

Northbound 341 to York University and Steeles (this is the pre-TYSSE sign)

Is this fleet wide or limited to one or two buses?  I ask this because I see the odd bus or two on the 116 Morningside displaying outdated signs from time to time: 116C Morningside to  F I N C H

They finally managed to fix the front signs on the 900. Instead of this: 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS -> TO KIPLING SUBWAY, it was updated to: 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS -> TO KIPLING STATION, keeping it consistent. The former 192 signages were like that before.

1 hour ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

They finally managed to fix the front signs on the 900. Instead of this: 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS -> TO KIPLING SUBWAY, it was updated to: 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS -> TO KIPLING STATION, keeping it consistent. The former 192 signages were like that before.

This change happened early this year

• A. Wong changed the title to TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies
On 5/11/2023 at 6:50 AM, Ed T. said:

Thanks.

Yes, I saw the 47A/512 rear sign yesterday.

I can just see someone whipping out their calculator and trying to figure out what exactly a 0.091796875 bus is.

I'm a bit of a grammar purist and would much prefer they use 47A-512 over 47A/512. The former reads 47A and 512 while the latter reads 47A or 512 (suggesting that the 47A and 512 are the same route).

16 hours ago, TransitFan88 said:

I'm a bit of a grammar purist and would much prefer they use 47A-512 over 47A/512. The former reads 47A and 512 while the latter reads 47A or 512 (suggesting that the 47A and 512 are the same route).

They should just signed it as a branch of 47, perhaps 47D to Keele & St Clair (512 St Clair shuttle) similar to the 72A right now.

They should also call the currently extended 72A another branch like 72D to avoid confusion with the former 72A.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 9:18 AM, Kumiko Oumae said:

If my hypothesis that "To Kipling Subway" was used for the benefit of visitors to whom Kipling being a subway station might not be obvious, they could put 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS, TO KIPLING STATION, TRANSFER TO SUBWAY... but then it might be awkward.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Almost always when TTC is the term station, it means the subway with the exception of GO Station and Renforth Station. However out of them people might not know that

Will Scarborough Ctr Stn still be used verbatim as a destination sign upon the RT closure in November? I'm wondering even if the shuttle buses will appear on maps like the 900 does now.

17 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

If my hypothesis that "To Kipling Subway" was used for the benefit of visitors to whom Kipling being a subway station might not be obvious, they could put 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS, TO KIPLING STATION, TRANSFER TO SUBWAY... but then it might be awkward.

Considering how they decided to make a weird variation of the 31 Greenwood Sign "31 GREENWOOD > QUEEN ST E > (KINGSTON ROAD/EASTERN) > CONNECTION to > CARLTON STREETCAR" this wouldn't be too much off the boat either. 

A while into the diversion and the 506 Carlton Broadview bus replacement sign still makes no sense. They changed it again but it still is confusing. Why can't they just make it exactly like the streetcar sign?

WB: 506 CARLTON > 506 TO HIGH PK STN

EB: 506 CARLTON > TO KINGSTON ROAD > WOODBINE LOOP 

This will get mixed up with 503 KINGSTON RD. 

2 hours ago, CJ. said:

Considering how they decided to make a weird variation of the 31 Greenwood Sign "31 GREENWOOD > QUEEN ST E > (KINGSTON ROAD/EASTERN) > CONNECTION to > CARLTON STREETCAR" this wouldn't be too much off the boat either. 

A while into the diversion and the 506 Carlton Broadview bus replacement sign still makes no sense. They changed it again but it still is confusing. Why can't they just make it exactly like the streetcar sign?

Fresh meat at the TTC office just discovered the sign programmer for the first time and hasn't gotten it out of their system yet.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CJ. said:

It was very simple back in the CLRV era. They could easily do 506 CARLTON, TO KINGSTON RD and QUEEN.

1 hour ago, blue.bird.fan said:

It was very simple back in the CLRV era. They could easily do 506 CARLTON, TO KINGSTON RD and QUEEN.

It was. I don't recall much times where people had to ask the driver where the streetcar was going despite it only saying the final destination and not even the route name. Now you have all sorts of weird signs, but its particulary worse on the replacement buses. 

Such as 506c which is super weird: 506c CARLTON TO>CASTLE FRANK STN>VIA GREENWOOD STN> AND COXWELL STN yet the external annoucement will say "via danforth" or "via parliament" or "via gerrard". Some stop announcements are missing also. The 31 Greenwood has 2 dests and ops just seem to choose random ones, some of them display the "connection to carlton streetcar" which doesn't even make sense because 31 always went through Gerrard and greenwood and didn't have a sign like that so I'm not sure why its needed now. 

306 Carlton dest is  "306C CARLTON >TO DUNDAS WEST STN >VIA CASTLE FRANK STATION >AND COLLEGE STN" when 306C doesn't exist, and it doesn't serve Castle Frank either and College Station is closed anyway when it runs so none of this makes sense. Don't even make me mention how they decided to stick up new 306 signs in front of Main Street's temporarily bus stops when Main is not even served!

And apparently your 72A bus driver wants to use a 504C KING sign because it makes more sense than the actual 72A which says (BROADVIEW SHUTTLE)

And at last, the weird "306c" sign is fixed (sort of?)

Old 306C CARLTON>TO DUNDAS WEST STN>VIA CASTLE FRANK STN>AND COLLEGE STN

New: 306 CARLTON>TO DUNDAS WEST STN>VIA MAIN STREET STN

The obsession with 306 at main is funny, considering how none of the plans of construction show it'll ever stop there, yet they keep making weird signs like this and there's new 306 stickers on the temporarily stop signs on main. They might've meant "VIA MAIN STREET" instead of "main street stn". The external annoucement says 306 Blue Night to Dundas West Station via gerrard and danforth, like it should

1 hour ago, CJ. said:

And at last, the weird "306c" sign is fixed (sort of?)

Old 306C CARLTON>TO DUNDAS WEST STN>VIA CASTLE FRANK STN>AND COLLEGE STN

New: 306 CARLTON>TO DUNDAS WEST STN>VIA MAIN STREET STN

The obsession with 306 at main is funny, considering how none of the plans of construction show it'll ever stop there, yet they keep making weird signs like this and there's new 306 stickers on the temporarily stop signs on main. They might've meant "VIA MAIN STREET" instead of "main street stn". The external annoucement says 306 Blue Night to Dundas West Station via gerrard and danforth, like it should

The streetcar routes have been a real shitshow since the final years of the CLRVs. I can’t recall this level of route splitting, shuttling, detouring, and construction going back about 10 or more years ago.

57 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Do they even have a sign for the 304 KING BLUE NIGHT To Pape Station?

I don't even think there's any signage at Pape station itself that shows 304

44 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

All I saw this morning was a 304 short turn. I suppose that is the sign they are using.

This is a massive fail in communication.

But then again, everyone is using different signs for some reason. There's 2 versions of a 31 sign, two versions of a 506 sign, the streetcars on 505 are using different signs and the 501 and 503 buses. Nothing makes sense. I don't blame everyone whose ratting about this streetcar mess to the TTC customer service on twitter, it's never been this bad before. I saw a 503 bus showing 510 Spadina once

And apparently that old 306 sign that said "AND COLLEGE STN" was supposed to be for a 506, to show that the streetcars serve Line 1 stations

On 7/9/2023 at 6:49 PM, CJ. said:

But then again, everyone is using different signs for some reason.

Yes, because everybody is getting stressed about how diversions and destinations aren't completely clear to most people, and they are trying to select the thing that is the most obvious to them, hopefully minimizing the confusion and questions from the general public who is just trying to get to work/school/run errands.