TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

An eastbound 32 Eglinton West bus this evening displayed: 32 EGLINTON WEST/ 32 TO EGLINTON STN / via EGLINTON W STN

(underlined is new text)

Beat me to saying this lol. I think the 52 also did this. Not sure why they decided to update it, although helpful.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

(Apologies if you hate having old threads bumped)

I've noticed in recent days that destination signs for some routes have been changing to spell out the word "STATION" replacing the previous abbreviation "STN."  I've seen this one some, but not all buses, namely on the 25 Don Mills and 34 Eglinton East.  I know this change was also made on the 116 Morningside when it changed from Eglinton to Malvern divisions.

2 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

I've noticed in recent days that destination signs for some routes have been changing to spell out the word "STATION" replacing the previous abbreviation "STN."  I've seen this one some, but not all buses, namely on the 25 Don Mills and 34 Eglinton East.  I know this change was also made on the 116 Morningside when it changed from Eglinton to Malvern divisions.

I noticed this on Finch West recently as well. Both Finch West and Finch Station signs. Like you mentioned, most but not all buses.

I believe 29/929 has been showing Wilson Station for a while now too.

All the signs that have been updated in the recent months have STATION replaced STN if it fits in one line.

So the 943, 960, 968 and the new 121 all display TO xxxxx STATION. The 60C does too for that incorrectly programmed "TO KIPLING STATION". Haven't check if they fixed that yet.

The 938 says TO SCARBOROUGH CTR STN like the other buses as it doesn't fit.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

All the signs that have been updated in the recent months have STATION replaced STN if it fits in one line.

So the 943, 960, 968 and the new 121 all display TO xxxxx STATION. The 60C does too for that incorrectly programmed "TO KIPLING STATION". Haven't check if they fixed that yet.

The 938 says TO SCARBOROUGH CTR STN like the other buses as it doesn't fit.

I can see why they might be writing it out in full possibly for inclusion and accessibility reasons.  I can also understand them having written out STATION for new routes and destinations, but is it really necessary to go in and change an existing route sign?....unless they're doing this for all the routes with "STN" which would satisfy the first possibility I've suggested.

Yup...I'm looking far too deep into this.

55 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

I can see why they might be writing it out in full possibly for inclusion and accessibility reasons.  I can also understand them having written out STATION for new routes and destinations, but is it really necessary to go in and change an existing route sign?....unless they're doing this for all the routes with "STN" which would satisfy the first possibility I've suggested.

Yup...I'm looking far too deep into this.

Apparently the 45 Kipling has received this change too recently. Nothing has changed with that route. Seems like someone over at the TTC had nothing to do.

15 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

“STN” has been used in place of “STATION” for many, many years so that the word could fit on the “lower resolution” flip dot destination signs and prior to them, the rollsigns. Seeing as how the buses that had those signs are now long gone, replacing the short form with the word spelled out doesn’t seem like a bad idea. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:24 PM, TDE said:

Front desto's "32 to Eglinton Station" display shifts to the left when it flips to "via Eglinton W Stn."

It's the same for 25A Don Mills when it flips from "to PAPE STATION" to "via DON MILLS STN."  This only happened recently when they changed it from "PAPE STN" to "PAPE STATION"

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2021 at 12:06 AM, TTC7447 said:

It's the same for 25A Don Mills when it flips from "to PAPE STATION" to "via DON MILLS STN."  This only happened recently when they changed it from "PAPE STN" to "PAPE STATION"

It seems the southbound exposure for 11 Bayview now does the same. Previous changes to exposures weren’t like this. I wonder why now?

1 hour ago, TransitFan88 said:

It seems the southbound exposure for 11 Bayview now does the same. Previous changes to exposures weren’t like this. I wonder why now?

It's simple - whoever created the sign program for those codes when they were last updated didn't program it properly so that both exposures lined up correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been to the Lawrence West Station area in a long while until today. Did they remove the mentioning of Marlee on all the 109 signs since they ran the 163 and shorten the route to Lawrence West Stn back in 2020 and never brought it back.

Before the 163 OAKWOOD, 109B RANEE would say To Neptune via Marlee and Flemington but now it just says to Neptune via Flemington.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I haven't been to the Lawrence West Station area in a long while until today. Did they remove the mentioning of Marlee on all the 109 signs since they ran the 163 and shorten the route to Lawrence West Stn back in 2020 and never brought it back.

Before the 163 OAKWOOD, 109B RANEE would say To Neptune via Marlee and Flemington but now it just says to Neptune via Flemington.

The 109  R A N E E  is back to its pre-pandemic routing via Marlee. I haven’t been paying attention to the destination signs though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Probably one of my favourite destination sign irregularities is the 131 Nugget’s rear destination sign being in a really small font, but only on EB trips. Don’t quote me on this but I think on the Orions it is oriented in the top left corner. The WB trips the rear destination sign is in the “normal” sized font

I was at STC today and I thought to myself, I think it’s been that way for about 15 years when I used to take that bus all the time. 

3 hours ago, yrt1000 said:

Probably one of my favourite destination sign irregularities is the 131 Nugget’s rear destination sign being in a really small font, but only on EB trips. Don’t quote me on this but I think on the Orions it is oriented in the top left corner. The WB trips the rear destination sign is in the “normal” sized font

I was at STC today and I thought to myself, I think it’s been that way for about 15 years when I used to take that bus all the time. 

I remember seeing that. There are so many irregularity on so many signs across the systems. Some of the signs haven't changed since the arrival of the 7400s. All the front signs were reprogrammed with an indent of 10 pixels as the Orions have a black boarder that blocks the signs. That's about it and many of them still carries the same programming to this date. 

Last year they updated the main signs from "stn" to "station" on all routes up to 45 Kipling. Most routes from 46 Martin Grove haven't been touch except changing the branch letters from 16 pixel font to 14 pixel font. They haven't 'S' in all short turn signs either. 

For whatever reason 47 Lansdowne and 985 Sheppard East Express still uses 16 pixel font branch letters. The 927 Highway 27 Express also has full 16 pixel branch letters on the rear sign.

The 134D northbound to Finch still doesn't say to Finch, it's just 134D Progress via Centennial College // & Crow Trail. 

There are also weird stuff like the 162 Lawrence-Donway eastbound has the "Lawrence-Donway" name in 7 pixel font instead of 8 pixel font. The westbound direction uses 8 pixel font. The 142 also uses 7 pixel font as the name don't fit with 8 pixel font.

The 112E West Mall Express school trips sign is also irregular. The entire 112E number is in 15 pixel font instead of 16 for number and 14 from branch. The 46E Martin Grove Express as well as the 111E East Mall Express have the standard 16/14 font.