GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

2 minutes ago, fromthe905 said:

GO will never get high floor buses again

Obviously transit HF buses. It's not available anyways. 

They might just go back to standard coaches. Maybe Prevost will finally win.

16 hours ago, Young said:

Or maybe they’ll take a page out of Vancouvers book and order suburban Nova buses with 1 door at the front

IMG_2333.jpeg

What a ghastly thought.

I am hard pressed to choose between the LFS and the Enviro as to which is the most horrifically uncomfortable bus in existence.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fromthe905 said:

GO will never get high floor buses again

Is this confirmed?

6 hours ago, T3G said:

What a ghastly thought.

I am hard pressed to choose between the LFS and the Enviro as to which is the most horrifically uncomfortable bus in existence.

Easily the LFS. Superlo not so bad if you ride up top.

I really, really hope this 40 footer thing stays a rumor. MCI or Prevost all the way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Is this confirmed?

Easily the LFS. Superlo not so bad if you ride up top.

I really, really hope this 40 footer thing stays a rumor. MCI or Prevost all the way.

Yes it is confirmed.

17 hours ago, T3G said:

What a ghastly thought.

Ever rode a Gillig Low Floor / (AKA Advantage) or a VanHool New A330? lol

Unless the mandate for a low floor accessible vehicle in ontario is dropped they're locked in to either the Xcelsior, Nova or SuperLo if they dare go back. Really what they need is an exemption and go with Prevost X3-45 commuter. 

GO travels a lot of miles in a shift and running suburban transit units even with a larger fuel tank will force them to adjust their runs and may even force them to buy more units over time 

3 hours ago, Orion V said:

Ever rode a Gillig Low Floor / (AKA Advantage) or a VanHool New A330? lol

I've only been on two Van Hools but both times I came away thinking that they were the single most comfortable bus I've ridden in North America. At any rate, their suspension seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of that of the LFS, where every single bump is absolutely bone shattering. For that matter, the wizened New looks rode better than the Novas IMO.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Unless the mandate for a low floor accessible vehicle in ontario is dropped they're locked in to either the Xcelsior, Nova or SuperLo if they dare go back. Really what they need is an exemption and go with Prevost X3-45 commuter. 

GO travels a lot of miles in a shift and running suburban transit units even with a larger fuel tank will force them to adjust their runs and may even force them to buy more units over time 

I forgot about this mandate to get only LF buses. I believe implemented in the 1990s? Or maybe 2000 since Brampton was still buying HF buses in the early 2000s.

But obviously GO transit is a different system altogether with longer commutes. 

At the end of the day, no manufacturing is making a HF 40ft transit bus. And Go wouldn't have enough units for a manufacturer to build one. Plus the last available HF transit bus was pre EPA 2010, so a lot of engineering needs to be done. So hypothetically, NFI brings out a D40S , it would have to be redesigned. 

I still think there's a market for HF transit buses. I see a lot of condo shuttles that use them, also business and airport shuttles with luggage racks at the bottom, but based on the school bus frame. Still require air brakes, etc.

7 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

I forgot about this mandate to get only LF buses. I believe implemented in the 1990s? Or maybe 2000 since Brampton was still buying HF buses in the early 2000s.

But obviously GO transit is a different system altogether with longer commutes. 

At the end of the day, no manufacturing is making a HF 40ft transit bus. And Go wouldn't have enough units for a manufacturer to build one. Plus the last available HF transit bus was pre EPA 2010, so a lot of engineering needs to be done. So hypothetically, NFI brings out a D40S , it would have to be redesigned. 

I still think there's a market for HF transit buses. I see a lot of condo shuttles that use them, also business and airport shuttles with luggage racks at the bottom, but based on the school bus frame. Still require air brakes, etc.

The last 40ft HF transit bus in North America should be the 416.15 2nd gen which has the EPA2010 engine. Last units produced in 2013.
It was still produced years after the Orion V and Phantom were discontinued.

NFI should have the legal rights to remake that model since they bought NABI out.

27 minutes ago, Orion V said:

The last 40ft HF transit bus in North America should be the 416.15 2nd gen which has the EPA2010 engine. Last units produced in 2013.
It was still produced years after the Orion V and Phantom were discontinued.

NFI should have the legal rights to remake that model since they bought NABI out.

Yes your right. I was more focused on buses made in Canada. Which were , I believe the Orion V in Vancouver in 2008/09. Prior to EPA 2010. 

NFI did have to finish a few NABI orders after the take over, if I remember correctly.

Orion V had a few orders leading up to 2009. I'm sure they had an Orion V ready for EPA 2010 if someone really wanted them. 

Were the Millennium RTS EPA 2010 complaint? I know they left in 2010. I wonder if they the had a product for EPA 2010 ready to go before going under?

Go Transit has posted their service changes. Not a full list, but more of the noticeable ones:

Route 18K will be renamed Route 11. 

96Z will service Toronto Zoo along with 47W and 52X will service Canada's Wonderland on weekends only from May 4th until August 25th. 

Lakeshore West and East Lines:

• Lakeshore West will operate every 15 minutes on weekends between Oakville Go Station and Union Station
  • Lakeshore East between Union Station and Durham College Oshawa Go will operate every 15 minutes
  • Departing from Union Station, the span of hours for 15 minute service along both lines is between 3 PM until 11 PM, then it is reduced to 30 minute service until the final trip of the service day.

Milton Line:

• New morning departure at 6:43 AM making all stops to Union arriving at 7:48 AM
  • New afternoon departure at 4:10 PM from Union arriving in Milton at 5:12 PM
  • Eastbound departures depart a minute earlier between Milton Go Station and Dixie Go Station to account for door restrictions at Kipling Go Station 

Stouvfille Line:

• Late evening train service restored 7 days/week
  • Bus service to replace train trips directly to Union Station will instead terminate to connect between bus and train transfers
  • Markham Go Station will have the non-accessible side doors close a minute early with the accessible side closing 30 seconds early similar to departure stations such as Union

Kitchener Line: 

• 30 minute service between Bramalea Go Station and Union Station to be introduced during weekday mid-day and evening

35 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Go Transit has posted their service changes. Not a full list, but more of the noticeable ones:

Route 18K will be renamed Route 11. 

96Z will service Toronto Zoo along with 47W and 52X will service Canada's Wonderland on weekends only from May 4th until August 25th. 

• Lakeshore West will operate every 15 minutes on weekends between Oakville Go Station and Union Station
  • Lakeshore East between Union Station and Durham College Oshawa Go will operate every 15 minutes
  • Departing from Union Station, the span of hours for 15 minute service along both lines is between 3 PM until 11 PM, then it is reduced to 30 minute service until the final trip of the service day.

Milton Line:

• New morning departure at 6:43 AM making all stops to Union arriving at 7:48 AM
  • New afternoon departure at 4:10 PM from Union arriving in Milton at 5:12 PM
  • Eastbound departures depart a minute earlier between Milton Go Station and Dixie Go Station to account for door restrictions at Kipling Go Station 

Stouvfille Line:

• Late evening train service restored 7 days/week
  • Bus service to replace train trips directly to Union Station will instead terminate to connect between bus and train transfers
  • Markham Go Station will have the non-accessible side doors close a minute early with the accessible side closing 30 seconds early similar to departure stations such as Union

Kitchener Line: 

• 30 minute service between Bramalea Go Station and Union Station to be introduced during weekday mid-day and evening

The 21 Milton is returning to Union Station, on a reduced schedule from the previous changes.

As a result, the 27 (North York-Milton) will get cut back to Meadowvale outside of rush hours once again. The 21A between Milton GO and Oakville GO will be retained as the 22, operating on a reduced schedule (every 2 hours on weekdays only).

I've been looking at the new schedules, and as someone who relies on buses a lot, I'm not liking the reductions in bus service. For example, a trip that I do a lot is Peterborough to the Richmond Hill Centre (it's a really long trip, I know). The trip would usually involve the 88 then either just the 52/56, or the 96B with a transfer to Viva Blue. With the new schedule if I'm leaving early in the morning on the weekend, I either could wait an hour for either the 52 or 96B since they both run every 2 hours early morning (and the 88 arrives at Oshawa in the middle of that gap) or alternatively go to Union, take Line 1 up to Finch, then take Viva Blue. Currently it takes about 3 hours, but with the changes it means it will take nearly 4 hours (both with going via Union and with waiting an hour in Oshawa).

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-22-24TABLE88(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.3649dffbd4bac14de7d6daa331384989.png

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-23-48TABLE56_APR27(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.951799fc0a3cd31f350bd31938fd94eb.png

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-29-51TABLE96(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.0c4d96e19c27cd66c72d354437551269.png

5 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

This particular point will definitely provide a boost to the tourism in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area - notably that the Toronto Ultra Major III (a eSports event for the Toronto Ultra, a Call of Duty League (CDL) eSports team) will be held next month (down at the Mattamy Athletic Centre - the venue where Maple Leafs Gardens used to be). Still with eSports, I really wished that the marketing reps at GO Transit - should do better when advertising to the eSports population (just my thought).

A bit of personal experience I wanted to share (in a comically humourous way): when the Major V was held in Toronto last year (2023), one of the GO Transit staff down at Union Station asked me about my Toronto Ultra eSports jersey. I told them that "they're an eSports team." (They though that the Toronto Ultra is a volleyball team).

22 minutes ago, KawarthaTransiteer said:

I've been looking at the new schedules, and as someone who relies on buses a lot, I'm not liking the reductions in bus service. For example, a trip that I do a lot is Peterborough to the Richmond Hill Centre (it's a really long trip, I know). The trip would usually involve the 88 then either just the 52/56, or the 96B with a transfer to Viva Blue. With the new schedule if I'm leaving early in the morning on the weekend, I either could wait an hour for either the 52 or 96B since they both run every 2 hours early morning (and the 88 arrives at Oshawa in the middle of that gap) or alternatively go to Union, take Line 1 up to Finch, then take Viva Blue. Currently it takes about 3 hours, but with the changes it means it will take nearly 4 hours (both with going via Union and with waiting an hour in Oshawa).

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-22-24TABLE88(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.3649dffbd4bac14de7d6daa331384989.png

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-23-48TABLE56_APR27(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.951799fc0a3cd31f350bd31938fd94eb.png

Screenshot2024-04-15at18-29-51TABLE96(20240427)_pdf.thumb.png.0c4d96e19c27cd66c72d354437551269.png

I have noticed a lot of departure reductions. Some are understandable which for me, I am along the Barrie line.

Here are the bus trips eliminated during the weekdays along the Barrie corridor:

From Barrie Bus Terminal:

• 2:05 PM, 3:40 PM and 5:45 PM trips are eliminated since there are other trips nearby (2:45 PM and 6 PM) that are available
  • 3:40 PM trip was most likely eliminated due to low demand plus how Ontario Northland operates a trip express to Yorkdale around 3:30 PM providing a faster trip
  • Final departure for 68B is 10:55 PM instead of 9:55 PM with connection to Union Station Bus Terminal most likely to avoid competing with Ontario Northland at 9:30 PM

From Union Station/East Gwillimbury: 

• 65E trip to East Gwillimbury at 8:12 AM which interlines into 68B at the end is eliminated 
  • 68B connecting trip at East Gwillimbury for the 1:59 PM train departure from Union is eliminated due to low demand 
  • 68A from Aurora Go at 7:57 PM extended to Barrie Bus Terminal instead of terminating at Allandale Waterfront 
  • 65E trip at 1:12 AM is discontinued with the final trips at 12:12 AM and 2:12 AM

Not as much reductions on the weekends for Barrie line train service, but the trips north of Aurora Go Station are pretty limited and have been for at almost a year. 

Though the interesting part is the final departure for the 68B from Barrie Bus Terminal is 11:15 PM to connect with a bus going towards Union Station. Not sure who would be out that late unless maybe at a bar or something. 

Here are some other changes to highlight:

Route 90B Lakeshore East

• Lakeshore East bus departure at 1:30 AM is eliminated on weekdays with the final train at 12:20 AM Monday to Thursday or 12:53 AM on Friday 
  • A special bus trip operates at 12:50 AM Monday to Thursday or 12:53 AM train on Friday
  • Weekend service is unaffected 

Route 21: Milton 

• Final trip from Union Station Bus Terminal at 2:20 AM on weekends will be discontinued, the final trip on weekends/holidays will be 1:20 AM

Route 40: Hamilton/Richmond Hill via Pearson Airport Terminal 1

• Frequency will be reduced every two hours during the early morning hours 

Route 94: Pickering/Square One via Highway 401

Select time periods to be reduced to every two hours instead of hourly in all time periods. 

• Frequency from Pickering Go Station reduced to every two hours on weekdays between 6:30 PM until 4:25 AM the next morning 
  • Frequency from Square One reduced to every two hours on weekdays from 11:20 PM until 11:25 AM the next day
  • Frequency from Pickering Go Station reduced to every two hours on weekends from 8:25 PM until 4:25 AM the next day
  • Frequency from Square One reduced to every two hours on weekends from 11:20 PM until 5:20 AM the next day

Final comments:

I have definitely noticed the reductions in bus service. Especially years ago when you could catch a train and if it wasn't going the entire route, you could catch a connecting bus to continue beyond the transfer point to where your final destination is. Now some core and train support routes have definitely been reduced over the years.

Even with the rail network getting upgrades, it is still many years off until trains start operating on the expanded stretch. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

GO Transit route 41C will operate 4 trips on weekday morning rush running between Square One Bus Terminal to Centennial College Progress Campus and route 41,41A & 41C will service one new stop on Sheppard Avenue East @ Herons Hill Way in both directions starting Monday April 29th 2024.

On 4/15/2024 at 6:32 PM, KawarthaTransiteer said:

Just for fun, I was looking at all my options for my Peterborough-Richmond Hill trip. From Oshawa, the fastest ways will be either Lakeshore East to Pickering, 94 to Sheppard-Yonge, Line 1 to Finch, then Viva Blue/99/360 to Richmond Hill; or Lakeshore East to Danforth, Line 2 to Bloor-Yonge, Line 1 to Finch, and also Viva Blue/99/360 to Richmond Hill. Both of which take me about 3h50min, which still is about 40 minutes slower than how it is currently, but still 20 minutes faster than waiting an hour for the 52.

Out of all of this, I do wonder if any routes (such as the 94) will start getting more service due to higher demand. I certainly know that I'll start going via Pickering since (alongside going via Danforth) it'll be the fastest way for me.

17 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

GO Transit: 8364 got stuck in a ditch while on route 56 this evening

Not My video

Seeing the more detailed version on Reddit including photos, the issue was that after servicing the Brock Road carpool lot, the operator accidentally took the off-ramp to a road maintenance facility mistaking it for Salem Road. 

Then tried to do a u-turn which as a result got stuck. Another bus was sent along with the Highway 407 maintenance crew to assist with the disabled vehicle. 

Looking at Google Maps, the sign is pretty clear saying maintenance vehicles only with a do not enter sign. Operator most likely was new or wasn't familiar with the route considering how long Route 56 is.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday evening I was at Oshawa GO and saw that all of the trains on the departures board were only using platform 1. Not completely sure if whether it's preparation for 15-minute service starting on Sunday or it was related to Lakeshore West being hourly over the weekend. Right now looking at the GO Tracker, trains are using both platforms.

IMG_4734.thumb.JPG.62da20bd46eb33b1adaaa588e21e3f0d.JPG

Screenshot2024-04-22at20-55-14GOTracker.thumb.png.50ccf701afe3506640af85a3193f2a7d.png

Also pretty interesting to see "No data/Pas de données" on the departures board. Last time I saw that was actually two weeks ago on the 7th. That time MP40PH 626 was powering that train, and looking at Transsee it's the same case here.

Anyone know from the May 4 weekend Lakeshore bustitution how often the buses will come?

It used to be at 30min train frequency, the buses will come in groups of 3 within 5min of each other then 20min from the last bus of that group, another group of 3 will come within 5min of each other.

May 4th will be the first weekend of 15min train frequency on this line so does that mean the shuttle buses will be increased to double that as before?
If so, the buses should come every 5min during the period where train frequency is 15min which is 3pm to 11pm. That means there should be 12 buses per hour every hour at 5min frequencies. That's alot of buses to operate on these two lines!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know from the May 4 weekend Lakeshore bustitution how often the buses will come?

It used to be at 30min train frequency, the buses will come in groups of 3 within 5min of each other then 20min from the last bus of that group, another group of 3 will come within 5min of each other.

May 4th will be the first weekend of 15min train frequency on this line so does that mean the shuttle buses will be increased to double that as before?
If so, the buses should come every 5min during the period where train frequency is 15min which is 3pm to 11pm. That means there should be 12 buses per hour every hour at 5min frequencies. That's alot of buses to operate on these two lines!!!

Upon reading the service disruptions on the GO Transit website, there will be three GO bus routes that will serve the Union Station Bus Terminal - however, not all of the bus routes mentions will stop between Pickering GO station and the Durham College Oshawa GO station. The bus rotues are as follows (for the rail replacement (make that, bustitution) routes):

90W – Union Station Bus Terminal express <-> Whitby GO and Durham College Oshawa GO 

90R – Union Station Bus Terminal express <-> Pickering GO and Ajax GO 

90B – Union Station Bus Terminal express <-> Pickering GO, Ajax GO, Whitby GO and Durham College Oshawa GO 

With regards to your 3rd (third) sentence, it remains to be seen on how that will play out. I remembered the time that GO used to temporarily outsource the rail replacement buses along the Lakeshore East and West (due to the vaccine mandate back in late 2021). A third party (but separate and private) operator, Coach Canada used to do those shuttles (with some resulted in a "free ride" for some passengers, if I recall correctly).

On 4/23/2024 at 10:11 AM, Cityflyer said:

That weekend it seems like they're keeping with 30 minute frequency with the buses. However unlike previous weekends, there are times in the morning and the evening when only the 90R and 90W buses are running. And it's only 2 buses (one 90B and one 90R/90W) per bunch as well.