TTC in the news

buschic

In laymen’s terms:

-engines didn’t last.

-barred from entering indoor or underground loops for explosion concerns.

-the astronomical cost of retrofitting garages to explosion proof electrical systems.

-the cost and hassle of de-fueling and shunting around buses with tractors any time hot work needed to be performed on them.

• Haha 1

If I remember correctly on top of all the mechanical and operational issues that were just pointed out, diesel was dirt cheap in the early 2000's. The HSR which had also committed to CNG buses dropped out of buying them for a decade because of that.

There not that many systems in Canada using CNG, yet they are popping up all over the place in the US. Not talking small number, but 100's of buses for each system.

Was part of a round table with MOE with a push from CNG group to get more buses and systems in Ontario to use CNG and it when over like a lead balloon. Still can smell CNG like diesel and not a supporter of CNG.

Unless things change between now and Jan 4th, Kipling Kiss & Ride will open with part or all of the parking lot. The west side has about 150 parking spots ready to go and the bulk of the parking to the north being graded for paving. Weather and EllisDon will be the govern factor if the north parking lot opens Jan 4th. Not sure if the PPUDO building is ready for use nor if the elevator working.

Jan 3rd will be the last time miWay will use Islington Bus Terminal unless something changes before Jan. No idea when TTC will move their Islington routes to the south platform to allow the existing terminal to be torn down in 2021.

By the looks of things, the bus entrance to Kipling will become wider with the shifting of the current sidewalk to the new plaza area and been removed.

50728616612_c8bd647e9a_b.jpg50727797133_60d5cf9e58_b.jpg50728622767_03d363c942_b.jpg50727799568_04c094d99c_b.jpg50728517356_8dd96d95a4_b.jpg50727800803_fce4dfe9ab_b.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Oke said:

TTC to freeze fares in 2021

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5845471

This is good news.  The Toronto Star's article on the same thing mentioned concerns that the TTC could end up responding to the pandemic by slashing service and jacking fares up specifically.  I'm glad this has been avoided because when this took place over the last half of the 1990s, the combination of skyrocketing fares and plummeting service turned into a self perpetuating death loop that drove riders away, which resulted in even more fare increases and service cuts and it went on for a long time, even as the economy improved.  This isn't a movie anybody wants to see again.

• Like 1

I guess that means the budget was released today. Yes, there it at http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2020/Dec_21/Agenda/index.jsp

Hmm ... even though the government is forecasting that vaccination will be complete by end of Q3, the TTC is only forecasting that ridership will less than 50% of pre-covid in Q4?

I think everyone expects that full ridership won't be back immediately ... but that seems overly pessimistic. Though perhaps it serves to make sure that the Covid contingency amount that is available covers the situation if vaccinations take longer than expected.

image.thumb.png.1be3f555d2203d04f87dc16ca527cc7f.png

On 12/18/2020 at 1:17 AM, nfitz said:

I think everyone expects that full ridership won't be back immediately ... but that seems overly pessimistic. Though perhaps it serves to make sure that the Covid contingency amount that is available covers the situation if vaccinations take longer than expected.

I don't think it's all about vaccinations and COVID going away, but it's the realization by employers especially in the office sector, that a lot can be accomplished working from home, they will be looking to save on office space and reduce the number of people who have to be physically in their offices, which in turn will reduce regular ridership on the TTC especially  downtown and other clusters with a higher number of office jobs.

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

I don't think it's all about vaccinations and COVID going away, but it's the realization by employers especially in the office sector, that a lot can be accomplished working from home, they will be looking to save on office space and reduce the number of people who have to be physically in their offices, which in turn will reduce regular ridership on the TTC especially  downtown and other clusters with a higher number of office jobs.

I'd be very surprised in the quarter after vaccinations are completed that ridership is less than half of what it was in the same quarter in 2019 (or in this case the original 2020 budget) for the entire system.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, MK78 said:

Maybe, but I'd temper that with the wide reports and complaints about how far from ideal working from home has been for a lot of people.  When the dust settles, I think there's going to be more work from home for white collar people than there was before for sure which would translate into a bit of a dent in Monday-Friday rush hour usage for TTC and Go, but I wouldn't write the obituary on the office just yet.  Then there's the often neglected non-office group of people...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

Maybe, but I'd temper that with the wide reports and complaints about how far from ideal working from home has been for a lot of people.  When the dust settles, I think there's going to be more work from home for white collar people than there was before for sure which would translate into a bit of a dent in Monday-Friday rush hour usage for TTC and Go, but I wouldn't write the obituary on the office just yet.  Then there's the often neglected non-office group of people...

Oh i'm not saying that everyone will stay working from home... But a good portion may.

My neighbour's wife has been going to work twice per week for stuff that requires direct human attention, and the other 3 days she's working from home.

2 minutes ago, MK78 said:

My neighbour's wife has been going to work twice per week for stuff that requires direct human attention, and the other 3 days she's working from home.

Absolutely it will be down. I'm just saying I don't think it's going to be less than half of historic as soon as everyone is vaccinated. I'd expect it to be closed to historic in a couple of years, if population growth and employment continues to increase.

Corporate regression would say otherwise. Various firms are actually leasing more and more office space, and no it's not because of "increased social distancing requirements".

This work from home stuff sounds cute and I personally love it, but dont trust corporations. Most of them are sleazy and will do everything to insure employees are "productive".

• 2 weeks later...

Starting today, you can now use the north PPUDO at Kipling as well the parking lot. Saw no machines to pay for parking there and could becoming in 2021.

Standard GO style for Kiss & Ride and looks like they have done away with Taxis on one side with riders on the other side.

The tunnel to the station/Hub is close until sometime in 2021 at this time. If work is taking place by the fare area, the tunnel between the Hub and PPUDO could be in service sooner than later. No idea if the elevator is working.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TTC to close portion of Line 1 for 10 days to accelerate
state-of-good-repair work

Mar. 10, 2021

Beginning at 6 a.m. on Mon., Mar. 15, the TTC will close the portion of Line 1 between St George and St Andrew stations to allow crews to continue important tunnel improvements. The closure will last 10 days, with regular service resuming at 6 a.m. on Thurs., Mar. 25.

"These closures when ridership is reduced make sense and will mean that the TTC can save years of work while making real progress on necessary repair work," said Mayor John Tory. "I want to thank our TTC workers for continuing work on important transit system upgrades and providing safe and reliable service throughout the pandemic."

The TTC is continuing to capitalize on reduced ridership during the COVID-19 pandemic and identifying opportunities to carry out vital state-of-good-repair work with minimal inconvenience to customers. The work, including tunnel lining repairs, asbestos removal, station cleaning and electrical work, is part of a larger project to eliminate several years' worth of early access, weekend and platform closures. A similar closure was already completed successfully in December 2020, allowing the TTC to accomplish more than two years' worth of work in 10 days.

"While ridership is low, the TTC is accelerating critical state-of-good-repair and asbestos abatement work on our subway tunnels. This innovative approach will limit the need for disruptive station platform closures and by-pass operations at St. Patrick, significantly reducing the overall impact on our riders," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson. "Thank you to the TTC team for acting quickly and embracing this unique opportunity to improve our transit infrastructure for the long-term, even as we continue to face the unprecedented impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you also to our riders for their patience during this short-term closure that will allow us to avoid major service disruptions in the future."

Customers can expect bus service every 60 seconds during peak periods and very consistent service to continue throughout the day. Service levels have been designed based on current customer volumes. Shuttle buses will run very frequently throughout the closure, stopping at designated pick up and drop off locations outside each station, at street level.

Customers travelling into the city are encouraged to start their journey at Finch Station, or at any other station on the Yonge side of Line 1, to avoid the closure area. Subway service will run as usual, every three-four minutes.

"We are taking every opportunity to speed up infrastructure improvements while keeping inconvenience to customers to a minimum," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "Service reliability is a key priority for me and this 10-day closure is another step to improving the reliability of the system and reducing future closures."

East-west service will be available, as usual, on College (506 Carlton), Dundas (505), Queen (501) and King (504) streets, for customers to connect from Yonge St.

Museum, Queen's Park, St Patrick and Osgoode stations will be closed for the duration of the 10 days. Customers should note that all subway entrances/exits will also be closed, including TTC connections to hospitals. The other two stations will remain open for fare sales and connection to surface routes and Line 2.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff for assistance.

Customers should remember that face coverings are mandatory while travelling on the TTC. More information on how to wear a mask properly is available at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?

The TTC is using a variety of tactics to ensure customers are aware of this extended closure and to minimize the inconvenience as much as possible. Customers looking for more information or assistance planning their trips are advised to visit ttc.ca or call Customer Service at 416-393-4636.

The TTC thanks its Board, local City Councillors, and the essential workers based along University Ave., for their assistance and patience with this closure.

The TTC is committed to keeping customers informed about work and events that impact service and about alternate routes. For the most up-to-date information, follow @TTCNotices on Twitter or sign up for eAlerts.

• 1 month later...

A brawl in a Canadian Tire, a mysterious note and a pair of shackles: Why the TTC fired a long-time employee — and why it had to rehire him

(alternate link)

This sounds like one of those situations where everything went wrong on all sides and could've been avoided if the guy was asked to either pay for the boat shackles or return them.

However, one thing sticks out like a sore thumb in that article that the Toronto Star seriously overlooked so I started reading through the arbitrator's decision where it's made clear that the lady was a licensed security guard and it's overlooked there too: there's no such thing as a plain clothes security guard here in Ontario.  The legislation regulating that specifies all kinds of uniform requirements including conspicuous badging.  People doing plain clothes loss prevention work in Ontario need to be licensed private investigators to do that legally.

The arbitrator's decision mentions the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005 where this is laid out but completely misses this aspect of it.  It's apparently also been missed by ATU 113, and the Toronto Star that the security guard was breaking the industry regulations pretty seriously by working out of uniform unless she was dual licensed as a private investigator as well but if that was the case, it would've probably been stated up front in the arbitrator's decision in each location he mentions "licensed security guard".  It looks like ATU 113 arbitrated this one successfully but they would've gone into it from a much stronger position from the outset by completely shredding the security lady and the security company's credibility right off the top for being totally out of compliance with the industry regulatory legislation here in Ontario.

16 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

People doing plain clothes loss prevention work in Ontario need to be licensed private investigators to do that legally.

Good thing Ontario enforces the law oh so strongly. In that case, probably 75% of plain clothes loss prevention agents/officers are doing their work illegally.

12 hours ago, lip said:

Good thing Ontario enforces the law oh so strongly. In that case, probably 75% of plain clothes loss prevention agents/officers are doing their work illegally.

No kidding.  You're probably right about that.  There's so many fly by night anything goes operators.  Apparently the lady didn't fill out a provincially mandated use of force report either.  Quality work going on there.

The biggest jawdropper I ever had was early in the new year at one place I worked at after the security guard company that was on contract there gave their employees a Christmas gift.  It was a company branded pocket knife in a company branded belt holder and this one guy was showing it to me and said it was a good thing his company had given these to all the guards in case they needed to stab someone who isn't being compliant.  WHAT?  So the next time a truck driver pulls up into the loading dock or an angry customer or a disgruntled employee or bum hanging around outside the building gets into an argument with one of these clowns, they're going to reach for their company branded Christmas gift knives and start slashing?  Several people including myself talked to mangement to tell them to tell the guard company management to tell their staff to knock it off with the knives but we saw a lot of them carrying them on their belts in those company branded holsters every so often for years afterwards.

Can you imagine how ugly things would've gotten if this TTC operator encountered one of these idiots doing loss prevention with their fancy pocket knife?  Grim.

Sorry, but the company was dumb issuing pocket knives to anyone as its only asking for trouble to everyone one having one. If someone used that knife on someone, the company better prepare for a legal fight and a big payout to the party that went after the company if they found out about the gift that was illegally used on someone.

Based on my experience with these so call security guards they have no understanding of the law, poorly train and a power to be person. There are good one as well bad ones like anything these days.

9 hours ago, drum118 said:

Sorry, but the company was dumb issuing pocket knives to anyone as its only asking for trouble to everyone one having one. If someone used that knife on someone, the company better prepare for a legal fight and a big payout to the party that went after the company if they found out about the gift that was illegally used on someone.

Based on my experience with these so call security guards they have no understanding of the law, poorly train and a power to be person. There are good one as well bad ones like anything these days.

I don't understand your outrage. Why can't a pocket knife be used for protection of the security officer? It's quite obvious they are not going to threaten people into complying with a knife. It's only for self defense. Lots of people carry a pocket knife including myself. It's not rambo style tactical blade, just a small 4" folding knife with a pocket clip.

And so what if it's company branded and was given to the employees?

11 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I don't understand your outrage. Why can't a pocket knife be used for protection of the security officer? It's quite obvious they are not going to threaten people into complying with a knife. It's only for self defense. Lots of people carry a pocket knife including myself. It's not rambo style tactical blade, just a small 4" folding knife with a pocket clip.

And so what if it's company branded and was given to the employees?

The issue is not that it was a knife, it's size, or that it was a gift.

It's the tacit acknowledgement of the company in charge that they can be used, even if just a visual signal, by someone who frankly is not trained to use it.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

The issue is not that it was a knife, it's size, or that it was a gift.

It's the tacit acknowledgement of the company in charge that they can be used, even if just a visual signal, by someone who frankly is not trained to use it.

Dan

You're going by on the word of a forum poster, who heard it from an employee. Like we have never heard an employee or coworker exaggerate or just make up crap in order to make themselves look good, or to make the company they work look stupid.

Unless its documented somewhere that the company gave the security officers knives with the suggestion they be used in making suspects comply, it's simply hearsay.