Full bus

wil9402

Indeed, I'm glad YRT got rid of the awful Solos, they make you reconsider your choice of having the Orion VI as the worst bus in Canada. Miller likes to put the Solos near the garbage equipment so they tend to smell like garbage too.

Indeed, the Solos were loud, they rattled, their seats were quite hard too, and I think they had one of the darkest interior lightning compared with other buses, and oh yes the smell. Riding the Miller Solos is a treat to all the five senses!

Back on topic, I notice that many people when boarding a crowded bus tends to stand near the front entrance and never moves back, then you have those people who treats their bags/belongings as another person and takes up 2 seats (they may give up a seat when asked), and the weirdest thing is that alot of people loves to exit at the front doors when they are sitting right beside the rear doors......

@ YRT-Guy: Which bus route do you currently drive?

All of them. A lot of if not most of the work schedules are all mixed up so pretty much a different route/run each day. There are only a few that are steady work with the same route each day made as straights (8-10 hours/day)

The 3's drivers always yell at people to move to the back, 7 days a week, mostly on Sundays and Saturdays.

I get this on the 510 Spadina as well sometimes.

Last Sunday (yeah...that day), when 10 cars came at once, I took the first one (b/c I'm too lazy to wait), and I was one of the last ones on. The driver then said, "Everyone, please move as back as possible."

Noone moves.

Driver, "I see a lot of room at the back, we're not going anywhere unless you move back."

Noone moves.

Driver, "We can stay all day if you want."

Slight movement.

Driver: *sigh, closes doors*

Back on topic, I notice that many people when boarding a crowded bus tends to stand near the front entrance and never moves back, then you have those people who treats their bags/belongings as another person and takes up 2 seats (they may give up a seat when asked), and the weirdest thing is that alot of people loves to exit at the front doors when they are sitting right beside the rear doors......

This situation is greatly magnified on LF buses where the front wheels takes up most of the space already. :P

I ride 129 during its most busy times, yes the driver often skips stops but the passengers waiting don't seem to mind because generally another bus coming that is visible or the wait time is really short. I noticed the 7:30am soutbound runs now have 3 Fishbowls instead of the previous 2 and still use the Orion VII, TTC must have taken note of the overcrowding factor.

If I read this correctly, had 129 started to use Orion 7 now? I hadn't seen any, just almost all old bowls for now.

If I read this correctly, had 129 started to use Orion 7 now? I hadn't seen any, just almost all old bowls for now.

Not possible, there aren't any Orion VIIs at Malvern.

There's one run in Morning Rush that Eglinton division operates which Eglinton uses a VII on, IIRC it does a southbound trip from Steeles to STC and then deadheads to an Eglinton route (forgot which one) and starts service on it.

There's one run in Morning Rush that Eglinton division operates which Eglinton uses a VII on, IIRC it does a southbound trip from Steeles to STC and then deadheads to an Eglinton route (forgot which one) and starts service on it.

It's a crew off Midland. However, after McCowan North, it does a trip on the 54E before doing one round trip on Midland.

IIRC only one of the Am trippers is ran by an Eglinton Orion VII, If you see a VII at another time it could be a eglinton service relief bus.

It is always there at 7:30am at McCowan and Steeles. Depending on whether its late or early it may or may not pick you up at Steeles. I got the photo last year, it was on my site before I took it off. If you see a Orion VII at STC around 7:50-8:00am that says "not in service" it was the bus on 129.

TTC_7485.jpg

• 1 month later...

This afternoon saw a MT bus 0160 heading westbound on Dundas with the Sorry, Bus Full sign displayed. What a joke! Lots of spaces! Maybe they need a recorded announcement for people to move to the back of the bus. How about a pit bull beside the driver? lol

This afternoon saw a MT bus 0160 heading westbound on Dundas with the Sorry, Bus Full sign displayed. What a joke! Lots of spaces! Maybe they need a recorded announcement for people to move to the back of the bus. How about a pit bull beside the driver? lol

Heh...

I oncre got a full-seated bus, with one or two people standing at the front, and that bus driver skipped all the stops (and no, it wasn't an express).

Yesterday,While I was going home,I spotted this on the front the sigh said 505 Greenwood&Queen and at the back it said 510. It was going east on King St. But it has nothing to do with 505 or 510. :):)

It was most likely a 510 returning back to the yard. Where on King was it?

Yesterday,While I was going home,I spotted this on the front the sigh said 505 Greenwood&Queen and at the back it said 510. It was going east on King St. But it has nothing to do with 505 or 510. :):)

What's that got to do with this thread?

Anyways, ya, probably turned off Charlotte Loop to Russell Carhouse, at Queen and Connaught (near Greenwood).

My 318 this afternoon (9204) was crushloaded (yes, on a V!) because it was in between two VIs, which many students, as I have observed, avoid to all costs. We were crushloaded until about Dundas, where there was room for the people standing at the front to move back, but they refused. I let the driver know and he asked them to move back.

Just this morning on 7769 running on 116, I noticed a woman standing too close to the white line not knowing when her next stop is. Also an old man was standing at the same spot except he stood on the driver's side almost blocking the passenger entrance past the farebox. I can't believe that woman is up to no good. Neither did a blonde chick I sat behind. During rush hours, this route from Guildwood Parkway west to Kennedy Station gets lots of crowdings. The woman who stood behind got off 5 mins. later cuz she found her stop anyway. :huh:

One more thing, this full bus thing should apply to streetcars nonetheless, though the 42xx is articulated and is used to carrying many passengers. Maybe Scarborough should get into the streetcar shenanigans.

No they don't allow animals (including livestock) on the buses, unless they're guide dogs or stuffed ones. But if the driver feels people won't move, he'll come with a snow shovel and force them to move to the back of the bus so there'll be enough room for the people to come on.

No they don't allow animals (including livestock) on the buses, unless they're guide dogs or stuffed ones. But if the driver feels people won't move, he'll come with a snow shovel and force them to move to the back of the bus so there'll be enough room for the people to come on.[/font]

They do, at the driver's discression, allow animals on the bus, as long as they are leashed (in the case of dogs) or caged (in the case of other smaller pets). Tramguy was, however, joking, but I saw someone alight from a 19 with a leashed and muzzled pitbull on Friday :huh:

I don't think they would use that much force to move passengers back. The farthest I have seen a driver go to move passengers back was on a 190 after the one we were on had been short turned at Kennedy, and the driver said "We are sitting here at Kennedy for one reason, because you won't move back. The longer it takes for you to move to the back of the bus, the longer we will be waiting at Kennedy." At that point I was standing in the HF portion and when we started and stopped I almost fell into Qsy6737's lap and almost knocked over several passengers :):P

I noticed that happen in Windsor a couple times with the pets, a dog on a leash with a muzzle. And some drivers here will have a bus(mostly 1C drivers) with every seat(not all of them even sometimes) taken and a few people standing, and he/she will pass like 10 stops and let the other buses(usually 3-4) pick them up.

The sit at the bus stop trick works like a charm not all drivers will do it tho

"The farthest I have seen a driver go to move passengers back was on a 190 after the one we were on had been short turned at Kennedy, and the driver said "We are sitting here at Kennedy for one reason, because you won't move back. The longer it takes for you to move to the back of the bus, the longer we will be waiting at Kennedy."

That's what happens when Toronto doesn't extend the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre. I pity the fool that screwed it up. Besides, I didn't think the bus I was on woulda been sitting at Kennedy waiting for those passengers to MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS! I took the bus after you guys rode on it cuz it was starting to get full. That one got me all the way to Don Mills Station.

That's what happens when Toronto doesn't extend the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre. I pity the fool that screwed it up. Besides, I didn't think the bus I was on woulda been sitting at Kennedy waiting for those passengers to MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS! I took the bus after you guys rode on it cuz it was starting to get full. That one got me all the way to Don Mills Station.

They never planned to build the Sheppard line all the way to STC in one shot. It was originally planed to be built to Victoria Park, but Mike Harris cut funding to the project and the subway was only built to Don mills.

Christiano

They never planned to build the Sheppard line all the way to STC in one shot. It was originally planed to be built to Victoria Park, but Mike Harris cut funding to the project and the subway was only built to Don mills.

Christiano

I know that the fashionable thing to do these days is bash Harris, but the least you could do is get your facts straight.

There was never any funding to build the line to Victoria Park. Ever.

The line was originally funded under the Rae-NDP government in its last days of office, and the Harris-Tory government felt that (rightly or wrongly) that the project had proceeded far enough down the road that cancelling it wasn't fiscally prudent. One thing he did do though is cut much of the "gold plating" of the project, such as things like platform edge doors and gradiose architecture and interior finishes of the stations. I don't know what the stations were originally supposed to look like, but they look pretty good to me now.

Dan

The latest craze now (in Edmonton), even when you're a little bit late, seems to be to [blank] your signs, drop off only, and catch up to your schedule. Quite often it's the same people over and over again doing this. One guy on the Route 8 especially was doing this. The driver behind him got VERY ANGRY :angry: and radioed Control to say that this practice must stop. He said this guy in front of him keeps dropping off and not picking up and he says he is full to capacity and has to pass up because the guy in front of him is not picking up. I think the main 'reason' that we are out here driving is to deliver a service, not to run empty just to adhere to a schedule. I think most passengers waiting for a bus would rather catch a bus that is late than to be passed up by one that is full, or is expressing to 'catch up'.

The latest craze now (in Edmonton), even when you're a little bit late, seems to be to [blank] your signs, drop off only, and catch up to your schedule. Quite often it's the same people over and over again doing this. One guy on the Route 8 especially was doing this. The driver behind him got VERY ANGRY :angry: and radioed Control to say that this practice must stop. He said this guy in front of him keeps dropping off and not picking up and he says he is full to capacity and has to pass up because the guy in front of him is not picking up. I think the main 'reason' that we are out here driving is to deliver a service, not to run empty just to adhere to a schedule. I think most passengers waiting for a bus would rather catch a bus that is late than to be passed up by one that is full, or is expressing to 'catch up'.

The TTC streetcar driver doesn't do that, specially on an ALRV. No way, Hosay! There are no express streetcar routes cuz you'd have to put in extra tracks and that costs too much money. They short turn more frequently to catch up with their schedules.