COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - How are you coping with this?

RailBus63

My best goes out to people with COVID-19 as well as their family members. This situation is escalating quickly and I believe it is important to stay safe and sanitary in these times. For any of you who planned vacations and had to cancel, I hope you got rescheduled and or your money back. The transit and aviation situation is also quite interesting to look at as several airlines are struggling. Please keep in mind that not only are people suffering with the illness but for the people losing their jobs due to this outbreak. My best also goes out to people losing their jobs. For anyone in or with family in China, Italy, South Korea, France, Spain, Germany and even the USA (which is escalating), my best and I hope that after this we are all here. It is known that it will kill, it already has. So be safe, continue to keep extra sanitary i.e.. washing hands, using hand sanitizer, etc. and remember that Handing washing is always the best. 

My best again. Stay safe and keep up with news.

@TTC Guy

Ugh!

I work in retail, and let me tell you, it's like Christmas all over again with how busy the store has been this week.

And people have been going bonkers over the toilet paper. My team leader and I restocked our shelves with toilet paper, and they were all gone within about 3 hours!!!

It's absolute madness! Great for sales though.

Oh, and tomorrow (Saturday) it's always the busiest day of the week at the store I work at, and guess what? I have to work. So yeah, that'll be fun...NOT!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Essential reading for anyone who might think that we're overreacting:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Really?  You don't think people hoarding toilet paper and acting like complete jackasses isn't overreacting?

Overreaction and panic mentality is detrimental to us as a society.  Once this blows over, every time there's a flu virus going around, its going to be the same idiot behaviour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 9924 said:

Really?  You don't think people hoarding toilet paper and acting like complete jackasses isn't overreacting?

Overreaction and panic mentality is detrimental to us as a society.  Once this blows over, every time there's a flu virus going around, its going to be the same idiot behaviour.

I'm not sure where in my post you got the idea that I support hoarding toilet paper and acting like a complete jackass. There's a pretty big difference between complete indifference and hoarding, but it should also be crystal clear that the people who are cancelling things and sounding the alarm bells are not just being hysterical, and they have just cause to do so. 

You think China and Europe are shutting down their countries and torpedoeing their economies for fun? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Family trip to Florida was just cancelled this morning.  Not too happy about it, but given the situation with Covid-19 as well as the 'self isolate' stuff, I can say it's a good thing.

I know how you feel, had to cancel my trip yesterday. I hope you were able to reschedule or get your money back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

I know how you feel, had to cancel my trip yesterday. I hope you were able to reschedule or get your money back.

We aren't able to reschedule the trip, due to my parent's busy work schedule, as well as me and my sibling's school schedule.  My father is currently working with Expedia to try to get a refund on the trip.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Public Pools are shut down until further notice... Gonna try to stay outta trouble now that I will have some spare time on my hands...

Here in Ottawa, all public recreational facilities, museums, and City Hall are shut down until at least April 5th.

11 hours ago, Gregory said:

Here in Ottawa, all public recreational facilities, museums, and City Hall are shut down until at least April 5th.

I'm pretty sure everything is closed everywhere. Me and my Dad decided to head up to Blue Mountain to ski but after arriving they announced the hills were closed as of this morning.

• Like 1

Weekend Catholic masses were cancelled in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Gatineau, Cornwall, and elsewhere, though churches remain open for private prayer, and weekday masses will continue.  This is being reviewed on a weekend-by-weekend basis, though it is very likely that the cancellations will continue until further notice.

All Catholic masses in Halifax, both weekend and weekday, are cancelled until further notice.

The Anglican Province of Ontario has cancelled all public worship services until at least Palm Sunday, April 5.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, PCC Guy said:

Essential reading for anyone who might think that we're overreacting:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Forgot to mention; read this on Friday. Good read, and yes, essential for everyone. Excellent breakdown and analysis. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Here's tonight's freakout:

About halfway through work tonight the phone rings and it's my manager calling from home because there's been a huge email blowup about some lady saying she took a workstation home to work from home and it's demanding an administrator password and she can't get any support for it etc.  I don't know how all this came about because none of the communication went through the maintenance shop so it's not like I missed anything that's come up here.  Anyhow, the big question my manager needs to get answered was did this lady really unhook a workstation computer from all of the outboard equipment it's connected to and actually take it home without authorization.  So I hoof it all the way over to the other end of the building and go looking and sure enough, all the outboard gear, every last bit of it's there, and the cable harness is sitting dangling next to where the computer used to be.  I have no idea what use she thought the computer would be without the rest of the equipment to go with.  And I have no idea how this stunt's going to play out with management.  Interesting times indeed.

• Haha 5

guys, calm down about this deadly virus. its not that bad compared to, i.e. the spanish flu. The coronavirus is just a Flu, times 2. it may hurt you when you get the symptoms but it isnt that bad!

The chance of dying, if your young and strong, is near 0%. the only group of people that could die form that virus is boomer (50-60), those who are born before WW2 and those with weaken immunity system or had a heart problem/lung problem.

the only problem linked to the virus would be a economical recession

for those who are old and weak. all you should do is stay home, do not go outside. if you have any symptoms that ressembles the flu, you should call the medical attention for a test to see if you have it.

so... dont worry guys. dont be anxious about the virus. most of you are gonna survive this

do not be scared. the MSM is just making it scarier than the usual.png

destroy the MSM with facts and logic.png

4 hours ago, Bus_Dealership said:

guys, calm down about this deadly virus. its not that bad compared to, i.e. the spanish flu. The coronavirus is just a Flu, times 2. it may hurt you when you get the symptoms but it isnt that bad!

It is 10 times worse than the flu, and the genetic code of this flu changes by one letter every 15 days so it is constantly mutating making it difficult to create a vaccine that will work on all of the mutations. Most flus are bacterial. Bacterial pneumonia responds decently to antibiotics, but not so with viral pneumonia. Bacteria are alive so they can be killed.  Viruses are not 'alive' but need to attach to a host (human) cell. Then it wreaks havoc in the body with lightening speed. This is not a disease to be flippant about. Take it very seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bus_Dealership said:

The chance of dying, if your young and strong, is near 0%. the only group of people that could die form that virus is boomer (50-60), those who are born before WW2 and those with weaken immunity system or had a heart problem/lung problem.

the only problem linked to the virus would be a economical recession

for those who are old and weak. all you should do is stay home, do not go outside. if you have any symptoms that ressembles the flu, you should call the medical attention for a test to see if you have it.

so... dont worry guys. dont be anxious about the virus. most of you are gonna survive this

Besides what Captain Trolley said, it is also important to bear in mind that health and our healthcare systems are things that are both fragile at the best of times. Anyone who catches a severe or critical case of this thing stands a much better chance if we don't overload the health care system all at once during such a critical time - and you never know who may end up catching said critical case. In Italy they've started to have to choose between who to save based on their remaining life expectancy like it was a war time situation - we should not, under any circumstances, seek to emulate them.

"Stay home", unless impossible to do so (to work or go grocery shopping) should apply to the young as well as the old. A young person could catch it and not be much more than slightly inconvenienced, but all it takes is for them to interact with one person at risk and suddenly you have a recipe for a tragedy. This is not going to go away in a week or two, and we must all be ready to accept the cost of it, especially the costs of protecting our vulnerable. It is the socially responsible thing to do. We're all going to be paying out the ass for this till kingdom come either way - the only question is do we want to pay for the reality with less deaths or more? That is the only choice we have, and it's up to each of us.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

It is 10 times worse than the flu, and the genetic code of this flu changes by one letter every 15 days so it is constantly mutating making it difficult to create a vaccine that will work on all of the mutations. Most flus are bacterial. Bacterial pneumonia responds decently to antibiotics, but not so with viral pneumonia. Bacteria are alive so they can be killed.  Viruses are not 'alive' but need to attach to a host (human) cell. Then it wreaks havoc in the body with lightening speed. This is not a disease to be flippant about. Take it very seriously.

Sorry Captain, but this post is full of inaccuracies. 

Flus are all viral.

https://offeringhope.org/tips-identifying-flu/

Mutations are not causing an issue with vaccine development.

"These viruses "are still so genetically similar that these mutations shouldn't alter a new vaccine,"

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-mutations.html

Not sure what your sources were, and I could go on, but I'll just leave it at those two.

None the less, your point to take this virus and disease it causes, need to be taken very seriously is bang on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, captaintrolley said:

yet at least 90% of his genetic code are either neutral and/or useless for the virus or even de-evolving the virus. 2, the flu isnt a bacterial disease, its a disease caused by the influenza virus... and if i take the thing you said. we should be all scared of any virus related disease.

heres the proof that its a virus that's causing the flu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomyxoviridae

and just to keep you in mind, remember the ebola virus from 2015-ish. it was 10x deadlier than the covid-19, yet very contagious and still, pretty much no ones was scared of the virus. It just makes you think

edit: i have to agree with M.Parson about this

remember kids, anxiety and fear is the reason of the infodemic

It's been about a week since my job interview, and I haven't heard hide nor tail from them since. Ordinarily I'd be displeased, but honestly at this stage in the game this comes as an immense relief (I recognize my privilege that I am able to say this - there are many people who can't). There already is a person in our house who works in a retail environment, I don't particularly fancy the thought of doubling our chances of our exposure to this nasty thing.

So far my grandparents seem to be holding up well. Slovakia closed their borders a week ago and shut down everything non-essential when they were at 21 cases (105 now) and seem, to an outsider, to have gotten ahead of the curve (though we need at least another week before we see if the growth rate has decreased). With any bit of luck, and a bit of sense, Slovakia might avoid the tragedy we're seeing now in Italy - assuming the borders stay closed indefinitely. My grandparents further benefit from living in a small town with only minimal visitors from the outside world. In happier days, I'd often cursed the fact that they don't live in Bratislava, at the heart of all activity, but it turns out there really is a silver lining for every cloud.

I'm sure the large scale social hysteria isn't helping with this, but I've really found myself struggling to maintain any sense of hope in the last while. In as much as I know, I should be in little danger should I contract this, but there's nothing quite like a global pandemic to open up all kinds of terrible avenues of thought about your own mortality. A friend's friend who I met at a party a couple of months ago has contracted it, as has his entire family. I've been reading a lot, playing a lot of Euro Truck Simulator 2, and mapping a lot in a bid to keep my mind off things, but those activities can only be carried out for so long in a single day. I feel like I've aged 30 years in the last week.

• Like 5