Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

3 hours ago, Dane said:

Just to quote myself about using lingo most people don't get for no apparent reason...

We could report it as a "person under a train" like what Transport for London does. I guess that is Dane's preference. But people, being people, will begin asking how they got there and/or why they chose to do it - and this may put TransLink and the relatives of the deceased under unnecessary strain and guilt for something that ultimately may not be their fault. 

2 hours ago, mike from edmonton said:

What exactly are you talking about here Dane? 

Quoting yourself from May 2016, and why bring that topic up at this time?

What's the trigger/cause/intent of your post?

43 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

We could report it as a "person under a train" like what Transport for London does. I guess that is Dane's preference. But people, being people, will begin asking how they got there and/or why they chose to do it - and this may put TransLink and the relatives of the deceased under unnecessary strain and guilt for something that ultimately may not be their fault. 

The only time you're hearing "Red India" is if you're listening to ScanBC or happen to know via this forum.

Saying that a "Red India" happened means nothing to the people who don't know their internal lingo. A newbie asked (understandably) what a Red India is and you're getting huffy towards Dane for pointing out that it's not widely understood language.

Millennium2002, TransLink calls them Medical Emergencies, so I don't understand what your tangent has to do with anything.

6 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Let's be clear here, my critique isn't aimed at Translink, it's aimed at users here. SkyTrain can have all the radio words they want, but people being "cool" and using terminology which is company & area specific is silly - we just had an inconclusive five post roll where it's still unclear exactly what a term means. Jargon has its place for sure, but given the lack of common use it always leads to uncertainty from the original post in the subject.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mike from edmonton said:

What exactly are you talking about here Dane? 

Quoting yourself from May 2016, and why bring that topic up at this time?

What's the trigger/cause/intent of your post?

The trigger appears to have been Jeffrey Ngai's post citing that the incident the prompted the closure of Main Station was a "Red India".

• Like 1

Hi all,

I apologize for the usage of the term "Red India" last night, which instigated a discussion on the use of jargon that others may not know understand, which ultimately derailed the topic of this thread. I agree with Dane and Meraki that the use of said jargon is confusing for many if not most users who do not know the internal radio lingo. I was not trying to be "cool" as Dane said as I thought the term would be a more appropriate euphemism based on the situation; it appears not. I will avoid the use of jargon to avoid confusion and hopefully others as well in the future to avoid this from happening again. 

My sincere apologies and yours truly,

Jeffrey

• Like 5

I too must apologize since I was misinformed a while back that Red India meant Track Intrusion. Maybe it was a long, long time ago and the person giving me the info just hadn't 'updated' his info before passing it along. I am not totally unfamiliar with scanner lingo, although ETS uses a 10-code instead of word codes. The Skytrain Codes are on Wikipedia, there's a link to it on the ScanBC page.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Ngai said:

I will avoid the use of jargon to avoid confusion and hopefully others as well in the future to avoid this from happening again. 

You don't have to avoid the use of the codes, just bracket the meaning after it so everything is crystal clear. I love codes and love having the opportunity to learn about them here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

You don't have to avoid the use of the codes, just bracket the meaning after it so everything is crystal clear. I love codes and love having the opportunity to learn about them here.

Ye. It's fine using internal jargon as long as you include a translation on the first mention. "Red India (person contact with train)" would have cleared anything up.

Don't be afraid of using the jargon, it's a good to know and we eventually learn it, just be sure to include what it actually means.

• Like 2

Between 11:00am and 12:30pm today there was an issue on the Expo Line in Surrey between Scott Road and Gateway, which resulted in all trains short-turning at Scott Road and a single shuttle train running between there and King George.
Pre-assumptive criticism on my part, TransLink really dropped the ball on multiple fronts with this incident. The single shuttle train meant an average departure from either end every twenty minutes, meaning trains and platforms were dangerously overcrowded (though there were staff members on site to try and manage this). From what I observed, there was no reason there couldn't have been two shuttle trains running the line, double-tracking between Gateway and King George, and running single-line to Scott Road from Gateway station.
The second 'dropped ball' refers to SkyTrain-Bus connections. There seemed to be no communication here, as demonstrated by the 503 (scheduled to leave Surrey Central at 11:19) was nowhere to be seen merely a minute after this - the time it took for passengers to reach the bus loop from the KG-bound shuttle train.

This resulted in me missing my planned connection to Aldergrove by a mere minute (the connection to the 21 Abbotsford bus) which put me in a considerable funk (I've never really been good with plans changing in minutes). Decided to avoid the confusion by taking the 555 from 156/St, walking there from the 96 B-Line stop at Guildford.

1 hour ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

Between 11:00am and 12:30pm today there was an issue on the Expo Line in Surrey between Scott Road and Gateway, which resulted in all trains short-turning at Scott Road and a single shuttle train running between there and King George.

Pre-assumptive criticism on my part, TransLink really dropped the ball on multiple fronts with this incident. The single shuttle train meant an average departure from either end every twenty minutes, meaning trains and platforms were dangerously overcrowded (though there were staff members on site to try and manage this). From what I observed, there was no reason there couldn't have been two shuttle trains running the line, double-tracking between Gateway and King George, and running single-line to Scott Road from Gateway station.

One of the automated train control "loop" sections went down, which means any train that enters that area loses communication with the central computer and times out. The section that went down extended from just past the switches at Scott Road, to Gateway inbound, and roughly halfway to Surrey Central inbound. There was no way to use the switches past Gateway because that would dump trains into the middle of the bad section.

The only other switch is between King George and Surrey Central for crossing trains from the outbound to the inbound, which wouldn't have helped much in this case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

The 19 is terminating at Joyce Station due a downed tree. 

I was caught up in the middle of that! The Joyce routes (26,27,28,41,43) were all delayed as a result. From Rupert to Joyce it took 15 minutes on the 43! The 28 had a 5 minute delay from Boundary all the way to Joyce and then they would also bunch together. It was a gong show really.

Also the 49 UBC/Metrotown is detouring on 41st via West Blvd due to a road blockage on SW Marine Drive.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Got a big skytrain delay just in time for the  rush.

7396 spotted at metrotown, its supposed to be doing a 129 back towards Edmonds but is likely gonna be doing a shuttle soon.

Not sure what makes you assume something like this with nothing to justify that reason, especially since it is on its way to Edmonds as it should be right now. 

8 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

Not sure what makes you assume something like this with nothing to justify that reason, especially since it is on its way to Edmonds as it should be right now. 

I saw it enter and leave the loop :/ (It was the only valid reason I could assume why it would be there but now it's well on its way on the 129.) 

I'll be at metrotown loop in a bit. Gotta get out of the apple store first LOL

We've got bus bridges from Edmonds to Downtown from what I am told.

Here's 8145 on a shuttle

20161101_142722.jpg