Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

1 minute ago, Transit geek said:

Surprised that there are still cars being delivered with poles (thought 4459 should be the last). Shouldn't the pantograph conversion be fully complete by now?

It was mentioned before that the contract was modified so all cars will be delivered with poles. Even with the late deliveries, TTC is running even later with fully converting the network to be pantograph compatible.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Articulated said:

It was mentioned before that the contract was modified so all cars will be delivered with poles. Even with the late deliveries, TTC is running even later with fully converting the network to be pantograph compatible.

Considering that the only place that pantographs are approved (if that's the correct term) is 509, it's obvious that the poles need to stay on.

Although I'm surprised that the TTC hasn't made the routing back to the carhouse(es) all pantograph, so cars going into service could still use pantographs. It's not really an impressive job of prioritization. They seem to be working on random sections all over the system. Most of Lake Shore is ready for pantographs, but the last time I looked closely, it wasn't 100%. Then again, I don't think Lake Shore will see streetcars again until this fall, if at all this year. :unsure:

21 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Shouldn't the pole be in the down position during transport?

So it looks like 4465 was officially delivered to Hillcrest yesterday but does anyone have the particular dates for the previous two?

4463 was offloaded either January 29th or 30th, and 4464 was offloaded February 5th (i will get the official offload dates in the coming week). 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 8:00 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Shouldn't the pole be in the down position during transport?

So it looks like 4465 was officially delivered to Hillcrest yesterday but does anyone have the particular dates for the previous two?

It should be. It came unsecured while in transit and was significantly damaged by the bridges along the line between Thunder Bay and MacTier Yard.

22 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Gonna be interesting to see if 4466’s pole is deemed fit at Hillcrest (surely not) and if so where a replacement pole gets mounted, i.e. will it have to be towed to Leslie and then worked on

Considering that the TTC forces swap poles in the middle of the street with some regularity, I don't think that the damage to the pole is as much of an issue as you guys think it is.

Dan

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4465 is now tractable

4464 looks to have a number of issue and still not in service.

As for 4466, TTC has poles to replace the damage one and only take a short time to replace it. What we don't know is the damage to the pole support and other items and that could take time to fix. This could delay testing by a week or so.

As for 11 cars in the first quarter, I am assuming it doesn't include 4460-4463 that were supposed to be Dec 2017 cars. 4460 was delivery Jan 02, 4461 Jan 05,  4462 Jan 10 and 4463 Jan Jan 29. Since BBD likes the number game, I expect they will say those cars are part of the plan 11 this quarter. We should see 5 more cars in the next 5 week, but since 4460-4461 were in transit, we should see 8 more cars by end of March.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

We should see 5 more cars in the next 5 week, but since 4460-4461 were in transit, we should see 8 more cars by end of March.

And failing ALRVs will be replaced by flying pigs! :P

Seriously,  thanks for running the numbers. I always lose track of how many times Bombardier promises to hold the football streetcar for the TTC to kick, only to pull it back at the last second.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

4465 is now tractable

4464 looks to have a number of issue and still not in service.

As for 4466, TTC has poles to replace the damage one and only take a short time to replace it. What we don't know is the damage to the pole support and other items and that could take time to fix. This could delay testing by a week or so.

As for 11 cars in the first quarter, I am assuming it doesn't include 4460-4463 that were supposed to be Dec 2017 cars. 4460 was delivery Jan 02, 4461 Jan 05,  4462 Jan 10 and 4463 Jan Jan 29. Since BBD likes the number game, I expect they will say those cars are part of the plan 11 this quarter. We should see 5 more cars in the next 5 week, but since 4460-4461 were in transit, we should see 8 more cars by end of March.

Bombardier would never ever count the same physical cars two times in their reporting statistics! NEVER EVER!!!!

On 20/02/2018 at 9:48 AM, smallspy said:

Considering that the TTC forces swap poles in the middle of the street with some regularity, I don't think that the damage to the pole is as much of an issue as you guys think it is.

This is hardly a typical damage scenario Dan but sure fine okay.

3 hours ago, dowlingm said:

This is hardly a typical damage scenario Dan but sure fine okay.

They replace poles in the middle of the street in less than 15 minutes. You're right in that this is not typical damage to a shipment, but considering that these things only cost $200, it's also not something worth getting worked up over.

Now, if it starts to happen with some regularity then there will have to be steps taken to prevent it from happening again. But considering this is a one-off....is it really that big a deal?

Dan

4465 has been tractable since Tuesday.

After 23 days since arriving, 4464 has enter service on 510. Ether the car was not completed when it arrived or have major issues for taking this long to get into service.

12 hours ago, drum118 said:
4465 has been tractable since Tuesday.

After 23 days since arriving, 4464 has enter service on 510. Ether the car was not completed when it arrived or have major issues for taking this long to get into service.

Unofficially by my count, 4461-4464 all of the new cars for January have needed 3+ weeks to get into revenue service.

27 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Unofficially by my count, 4461-4464 all of the new cars for January have needed 3+ weeks to get into revenue service.

My info

4460 arrived January 02 and enter service January 17 after 15 days

4461 arrived January 05 and enter service January 26 after 21 days

4462 arrived January 10 and enter service February 03 after 23 days

4463 arrived January 29 and enter service February 13 after 15 days

4464 arrived February 01 and enter service February 24 after 23 days

On 2/25/2018 at 7:28 AM, dowlingm said:

There is no chance that some of the testing delay issues are because the demands of the King pilot mean Flexity qualified operators are near-fully taxed operating scheduled service? (Plus the issues with the trolley pole carbons - keeping Leslie staff busy)

I sure hope not! If the blistering pace of 1 new streetcar per week is causing problems with timely commissioning then what is the TTC going to do when Bombardier starts delivering 2 new streetcars per week? (LOL)

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I sure hope not! If the blistering pace of 1 new streetcar per week is causing problems with timely commissioning then what is the TTC going to do when Bombardier starts delivering 2 new streetcars per week? (LOL)

What would be more interesting is to see how much they can ramp up testing and commissioning assuming Bombardier ever starts delivering at a higher rate.

By my count, there has never been a case where more than three cars were "burned in" at the same time after delivery. Assuming #4467 was offloaded today, this is the current situation, with #4465, #4466 & #4467 on property, but not yet in service.

If a "fourth car" was delivered during this time (which was the case with #4454 in early December, while #4451/2/3 were still undergoing testing prior to commissioning), it was kept on hold at Hillcrest until one of the other three entered service.