Canadian Trip Advice

Nabinut

Good day:

I am planning a major trip to some parts of Canada next april and besides advice for transit-fanning (which I'll take up in other threads) I am seeking advice on the "other" stuff like best/cheapest hotel to stay at near or on a bus line; best food places to try; and other tourist-like place to visit. Below are the cities I plan to visit:

Toronto

Ottawa

Edmonton

Winnipeg

Calgary

Vancouver

Any help is appreciated...

Also some Universities let out in April. A basic dorm room, bed, desk, chair with shared 'facilities' is around $30-40 / night. They are very good from my experience.

Local eateries will usually have offerings that you can't get anywhere else, and if they use locally grown produce that will keep the cost down. The U of A (Edmonton) is near the University Transit Center and there are two LRT Stations - University and Health Sciences.

UBC (Vancouver) has a Trolley Bus Loop and a Diesel Bus Loop. (It doesn't get better than this).

In Edmonton make sure to try some Ukrainian food. In Vancouver, try some sushi.

In Toronto, a TTC Day Pass is your friend. Unlimited travel within Toronto for the day for $10. You can visit all the tourist attractions easily with the TTC and you can explore Toronto's many neighbourhoods just by riding a streetcar or bus line from one end to the other. Harbourfront is a nice place to visit. It's by the lake. Usually on Friday's they have cuisine from all over the world (Carribean, Mexican, Chinese, Indian to name a few) under one tent near the stage. Another great place to eat at Harbourfront is Pier 4. They serve, burgers, fish and chips, etc. If you like east Asian cuisine, Spring Rolls on Dundas near Yonge, is a great place to eat. If you liek Indian cuisine, Tamarind is a great place in the lower level of Brookfield Place.

If in Brampton, visit Japan Buffet. Sushi and Japanese food buffet. I don't like sushi but I like going here for the tempura, noodles, etc.

If in Mississauga, visit Peter's on Eglinton. Very good soup, sandwiches, burgers, souvlaki, pastas, etc.

If in Toronto, visit Mongolian Grill. Chinese buffet with "grill" where you put raw food into a bowl, they grill it for you, and you eat it.

These are the places I would take people if I was showing them around the city.

If in Brampton, visit Japan Buffet. Sushi and Japanese food buffet. I don't like sushi but I like going here for the tempura, noodles, etc.

If in Mississauga, visit Peter's on Eglinton. Very good soup, sandwiches, burgers, souvlaki, pastas, etc.

If in Toronto, visit Mongolian Grill. Chinese buffet with "grill" where you put raw food into a bowl, they grill it for you, and you eat it.

These are the places I would take people if I was showing them around the city.

If in Markham, Ding Tai Fung at First Markham Place has awesome Shanghai Dumplings. Tsukiji Sushi is an awesome sushi place along Main Street Markham.

There's an awesome sushi place in Etobicoke, I'll find the name later.

EDIT: Found it, Kaji Sushi on The Queensway. Though prepare to fork about $100-$150 per head, and a Japanese feast that will guarantee your stomach to be beyond bloating.

If you fancy some caribbean food and find yourself in Scarborough, there is a wonderfull restaurant called Charley's Caribbean Cusine. It located in the plaza on the southwest corner of Morningside and Sheppard. The chicken curry is excelent.

As for a place to stay. The Strathcona Hotel has 2 twin beds for $125 per night. It is conveniently located at York and Wellington in Downtown Toronto a short walk from Union Station where you have access to the GO train and bus network, Toronto subway, and two streetcar routes. Union and the surrounding office buildings have many fast food outlets and there are some nice restaurants on King or York. A friend stayed at the hotel and was happy with it.

A few suggestions of stuff to do in Vancouver.

- While in Vancouver definitely go up Grouse Mountain, at night if possible, depending on what time in April you come there may be Skiing there (runs are night lit, discounts for night-time skiing if you go after 4) if you're into that but it's well worth it just for the view, there's also an excellent sushi place a few blocks from there that's cheap.

- If the weather cooperates try cycling, Stanley Park is a good place for this but there are others too, there are bike rental shops all over the city and all buses are bike rack equipped... riding down Burnaby mountain is awesome.

- Gastown is a bit of a tourist trap and tends to be full of panhandlers but it's a neat area in terms of the architecture... also you'll see trolleys, lots and lots of trolleys :)

- Chinatown has a lot of neat stores and stuff, just be careful not to stray into the east side, it's literally chinatown one block, drug addict central the next.

- Even better for neat Asian stores is Aberdeen Centre in Richmond.

- Check out the markets at Granville Island and/or Lonsdale Quay, if going by transit you go through Lonsdale Quay en-route to Grouse Mountain... and take the SeaBus, another interesting view of the city.

- If you have the time, consider taking a day trip to Victoria via BC Ferries, they have discount fares for mid-week sailings.

- Stay away from Metrotown except for busfanning, the downtown shopping centres are better and less crowded.

If you want directions on how to get to any of those things by transit let me (or any other Vancouver area member) know

Those are suggestions for "touristy things" for transit fanning you'll want to head more off the beaten path... just don't wear certain colours in Surrey.

• 3 weeks later...

When you're in Vancouver and you're up for a quick getaway from the big city, head to Bowen Island. From downtown take 250 Horseshoe Bay or 257 Horseshoe Bay Express to the last stop. Buy a ticket for Snug Cove at the BC Ferries ticket booth. It's a 20 min ferry ride. At Snug Cove village, walk towards the public library where you'll see a TransLink bus stop. Hop on the C10 Bluewater. Stop in Artisan Square for lunch. Beautiful views from up there and you won't believe that you're still in the Metro Vancouver area! Hop on the C10 Snug Cove to return to the village & ferry terminal.

If you'd like to explore some of the local neighbourhoods & eateries by public transit, here are some suggestions:

Commercial Drive - 9 (trolley bus), 99, 20 (trolley bus), Commercial-Broadway SkyTrain Stn

South of Main - 3 (trolley bus), 25

Punjabi Market - 3 (trolley bus), 49

Mount Pleasant - 3 (trolley bus), 8 (trolley bus), 9 (trolley bus), 99

South Hill - 8 (trolley bus), 41, 49

Victoria Drive - 20 (trolley bus), 49, 430

South Cambie - 15, 33, 25, King Edward SkyTrain Stn

Marpole - 10 (trolley bus), 16 (trolley bus), 100, 480

Kerrisdale - 16 (trolley bus), 41, 43, 480

South Granville Rise - 9 (trolley bus), 10(trolley bus), 16 (trolley bus), 99

Kitsilano - 4 (trolley bus), 7 (trolley bus), 9 (trolley bus), 17 (trolley bus), 44, 84

Marine Drive (West Vancouver) - 250, 251, 252, 253

Uptown (New Westminster) - 106, 154, 155

Steveston Village (Richmond) - 401, 402, 407, 410

If you are willing to go discount as possible, you may want to come investigate a few things that I, myself will be taking up very soon.

Have you heard of Hostelling International? I have been to two hostels in Quebec City and Montreal, pretty decent. They offer for $35 a HI PASS or something like that which offers you up to $4 to $5 off each night. The expiry date is sometime May 2012. So, even if you do a quick trip to Halifax for whatever else, per sé, you can still book get your discount.

And Greyhound offers a discovery pass, which i'm going to take up as well. The deets here are that for 7, 15, 30 or 60 days, you can travel anywhere in US and Canada(west of Montreal? only) and I think Mexico City. The 7 day one lands about $250. Where as the 60 day is somewhere around $550.

When you combine the two together a further discount is offered for your discovery pass. Where If you buy the 7day, they'll bump you up to a 15-day, no extra charge.

it's very proper on your wallet. But you'll get more leg cramps on long stretches.

Telling from your name, you're in the states, no? The discovery pass would require you to show your pass and get a ticket printed out every transfer point along the way. As for Canada, you just show it or something along the idea.

Speaking of Hostelling International, if you're in Ottawa, there's a really cool hostel which used to be a jail house. I'm not sure about the pricing, but it's worth taking a look at. If you're here after April 23, Carleton and uOttawa both have a number of dorms they can let out as hotel rooms, generally around $50 a night.

There are lots of food choices in the Byward Market, and along Elgin and Bank Streets, lots of independent restaurants, and a mix of chain restaurants.

A day pass on OC Transpo will cost you $7.50 (can be used for two adults on weekends and holidays), but you can use it to reach all corners of the city fairly quickly.

In terms of tourist attractions, Ottawa, as the nation's capital, is abundant in museums, green spaces, and the Parliament of Canada. Depending on when you come, there are also festivals and other events throughout the year. Check the NCC, or OC Transpo's websites for community listings.

Lots of fruit flies here in the summer too.

In Edmonton, you should also try Famoso Pizza.

In Edmonton make sure to try some Ukrainian food. In Vancouver, try some sushi.

Stuff to do in Edmonton:

1. Avoid West Edmonton Mall.-Total tourist trap filled with screaming pre-teen to teenage girls.

2. Fort Edmonton Park is always worth checking out, but if you're here in April you'll be in before it opens for summer (on the May Long weekend). Ditto for the High Level Bridge streetcar.

3. You could check out the last pieces of trolleybus infastructure (their locations remain closely guarded secrets).

4. Royal Alberta Museum is always worth a look, especially the wildlife dioramas. Alberta Aviation Museum is supposed to be good too, though I've never been there.

• 1 month later...
If you are willing to go discount as possible, you may want to come investigate a few things that I, myself will be taking up very soon.

Have you heard of Hostelling International? I have been to two hostels in Quebec City and Montreal, pretty decent. They offer for $35 a HI PASS or something like that which offers you up to $4 to $5 off each night. The expiry date is sometime May 2012. So, even if you do a quick trip to Halifax for whatever else, per sé, you can still book get your discount.

And Greyhound offers a discovery pass, which i'm going to take up as well. The deets here are that for 7, 15, 30 or 60 days, you can travel anywhere in US and Canada(west of Montreal? only) and I think Mexico City. The 7 day one lands about $250. Where as the 60 day is somewhere around $550.

When you combine the two together a further discount is offered for your discovery pass. Where If you buy the 7day, they'll bump you up to a 15-day, no extra charge.

it's very proper on your wallet. But you'll get more leg cramps on long stretches.

Telling from your name, you're in the states, no? The discovery pass would require you to show your pass and get a ticket printed out every transfer point along the way. As for Canada, you just show it or something along the idea.

I Myself have a HI Membership and it also doubles as a Ld Calling card (extra $$ required) and it pays off (Ps the 25% off discount is valid on Greyhound in Canada Only though unsure if this applys for the Discovery pass as well) The Hi Membership can be bought at select Greyhound Stns in Canada .

A day pass on OC Transpo will cost you $7.50 (can be used for two adults on weekends and holidays), but you can use it to reach all corners of the city fairly quickly.

Oc Transpo's day pass is valid on both sides of the River (Can't be used as a family pass on the Sto ) it can only be bought from the bus driver.

In Gatineau/Hull

You can visit the Museum of Civilization and Gatineau Park or J.Carter Park (Lots of hiking trails) and if its running the Steam Train to Wakefeild Quebec.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone, thanks for all the advice. So far, I've planned my way to Toronto. For those who live or visit, does it make more sense to stay in Downtown or in the outer regions i.e North York-Vaughan or Richmond Hill and how easy would it be to get around from those areas via transit?

Everyone, thanks for all the advice. So far, I've planned my way to Toronto. For those who live or visit, does it make more sense to stay in Downtown or in the outer regions i.e North York-Vaughan or Richmond Hill and how easy would it be to get around from those areas via transit?

Well Downtown will obviously be more expensive in terms of price, but the necessities are there in return.

If you are to stay in York Region (Vaughan/Richmond Hill/Markham), you can stay at Best Western, Sheraton, or Hilton Garden Inn, which are all around the Leslie and Highway 7 intersection. From there, you can get to the subway by:

- Taking a 90 Leslie southbound or 90B Leslie eastbound to Don Mills Station.

- Viva Purple or 1 Highway 7 westbound to Richmond Hill Centre, where you can transfer to Viva Blue, Viva Pink, or 99 Yonge to Finch Station.

- Viva Pink westbound to Finch Station during rush hours.

I assume if you want to get around you'd be heading to the city, as there's really nothing much to see in York Region (unless you want to visit Main Street Unionville and Main Street Markham, which IMO is a tourist trap).

In terms of restaurants, it depends on your taste (I've explained some of this before, but thought I'd reiterate it):

- The Highway 7 corridor (well...Markham/Richmond Hill overall) is mostly Asian food, although there are some Western style food if you're not a fan of Asian dining. If you're a fan of Asian food, Ding Tai Fung at First Markham Place is a MUST, especially the pork soup dumplings they have.

- Across from the Hilton Garden Inn is a huge assortment of your typical American style restaurants (Jack Astors, Mr. Greek, etc.). If you wanna try something different though in that area, I recommend Chako, which is a Korean BBQ table cooking restaurant where you self-cook most of the food.

- If you head west to Richmond Hill Centre and go up Yonge Street near the Bantry-Scott stop, there's an awesome pizza place named Abruzzo Pizza. Authentic Italian style, and the price isn't too bad as well.

It all depends on your budget and taste IMO. Hope that helps.