Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

(question deleted by poster)

EDIT: Just came up with another question while reading the other thread. Why did they choose to continue building the Sheppard Line over the Eglinton Line? Was the Sheppard Line more further ahead in construction or was it another reason?

It's not a button, it is a switch knob like the ones on an oven.

heres a link to a pic of the drivers area from a yrt d40lf for a visual (courtesy of Enzo Aquarius's pic as posted in the wiki)

http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...it_807-dash.jpg

I wonder if it is in the engine bay, since on most buses there is a bunch of on/off switches? What is this panel for?

there is a "front run / off / rear run" switch in the engine area.

For the record, the shortest route that is possible by bus to a subway station would be via Rosedale Valley Rd. to Rosedale station at about 4.3km. The route to Davisville is only 4.9km.

Dan

And of course, if the route actually did use Rosedale Valley Rd. it would become completely useless in terms of capturing any form of local ridership. The only upside to using that route is travel time, as there would only be a stop sign, and 4 traffic signals to contend with. If your only using 1 bus as it is, why waste it by carrying people from point A to point B, as opposed to getting riders along streets that actually have residential development along them... I know that you know this Dan, but I'm just putting that out there for those unfamiliar with the areas.

Okay... this is kinda stupid and I never thought of this until today but... buses need a key to start, right?

My friend today asked me whether a bus required a key to start or not, and I was genuinely stumped (and slightly embarrassed). So yes or no? Thanks!

depends....

certainly you could add one in to the electrical system if you wanted.

i've seen many MCI coaches with a keyed ignition switch.

How do they turn em off? Do they press the starter a second time?

Always wondered this.

-rotate the master switch counter-clockwise to the off (furthest left) position.

:P

What do the mechanics do to make sure by pressing that button the bus does not turn on? For example, during roadeos or doors open when tons of kids get in the driver's seat and play with those buttons.

Is there a master switch in the engine that overrides the button to turn the bus on from the driver's area?

EDIT: The Vs is a swtich but the D4500s and E500s have a button. This leads me to believe all city buses have switches as the buses I've seen at Eglinton at Doors Open are all switched. And then you have the XL40s which have that annoying hidden switch along with another button that has to be done together.

there are ways to disable the ignition system to keep meddling roadeo guests from hurting themselves. ^_^

i think it might be in everyone's best interest (especially next year's roadeo patrons) if i kept those secret.

EDIT: Just came up with another question while reading the other thread. Why did they choose to continue building the Sheppard Line over the Eglinton Line? Was the Sheppard Line more further ahead in construction or was it another reason?

probably best if i keep that one secret too.

if i post everything here, who knows what people will do with the information.

-as for the sheppard line, i always figured it was because that stretch of sheppard passed through Mel Lastman's own ward, who was mayor at the time.

That is understandable. I had a feeling that was the answer I was going to get anyways.

-as for the sheppard line, i always figured it was because that stretch of sheppard passed through Mel Lastman's own ward, who was mayor at the time.

I was thinking something similar while I was writing the question but instead of his ward I was thinking because of its close proximity to "downtown" North York and Mel Lastman Square.

I was thinking something similar while I was writing the question but instead of his ward I was thinking because of its close proximity to "downtown" North York and Mel Lastman Square.

Mel Lastman fought for the Sheppard Line which at the time ran through Tory ridings, while Frances Nunziata was championing the Eglinton West line which ran through Liberal ridings. Under an NDP goverment both got the green light. When it switched to Conservative who do you think they'd keep afloat given the two options? To add insult to injury, the tunnel that was already constructed for the Eglinton line was filled back in!

To add insult to injury, the tunnel that was already constructed for the Eglinton line was filled back in!

There was no tunnel - there was barely even a pit.

They had just started the excavation for the TBM launch site, which happened to also be Allen Rd. Station, when the stop order was given.

Dan

depends....

certainly you could add one in to the electrical system if you wanted.

i've seen many MCI coaches with a keyed ignition switch.

-rotate the master switch counter-clockwise to the off (furthest left) position.

:P

there are ways to disable the ignition system to keep meddling roadeo guests from hurting themselves. :lol:

i think it might be in everyone's best interest (especially next year's roadeo patrons) if i kept those secret.

I'm surprised you even mentioned the master switch and how to use it as even that was kept a secret to students at GO because the foremen didn't want students turning buses on.

Of course the fulltimers told us how to turn it on due to them sometimes too lazy to turning every bus on for us (while they can just sit and talk while we go and do the bus ourselves) and student curiousity constantly asking them how to turn it on!

One guy even joked the Prevosts were designed with that hidden ON switch to prevent kids from turning it on! LOL.

As for wil9402's question on the ignition thing, I think you have described that area pretty damn well. Let's hope no kid turns the bus on next year from that area otherwise it'll be your fault! J/k LOL. :D

You forgot the 8000s; best VIIs made.

The 8100s can't be loud; they'll most likely sound like a EPA07 D40LF (Oakville and Burlingston would have the closest sound as they all use B400R).

It's loud, remember Orion doesn't bother to put much if any sound deadening technology into our buses. The 79's & 8000's are the loudest buses the TTC has ever operated.

I have never heard Nova or Flyer buses as loud as our Orion Vii's, not even close.

As for wil9402's question on the ignition thing, I think you have described that area pretty damn well. Let's hope no kid turns the bus on next year from that area otherwise it'll be your fault! J/k LOL. :P

You can't pin all this on him. No answer no cause. :D

I have a question about the TTC's GPS/Auto Announcement system. How do drivers/TTC control tell the system which route the bus is on? I've seen that little custom TTC keypad and it just seems like buttons to pause the system etc. Sorry of this questions has been answered already. Thanks!

I have a question about the TTC's GPS/Auto Announcement system. How do drivers/TTC control tell the system which route the bus is on? I've seen that little custom TTC keypad and it just seems like buttons to pause the system etc. Sorry of this questions has been answered already. Thanks!

Well the thing is, the "bus" isn't programmed to one route at a time. Along the route the TTC has placed a number of GPS triggers so once it passes one of them, it will trigger the AA to announce the next stop. If it goes astray on a detour, it will still announce any stops if it passes the triggers it may encounter, even if it is not of its original route. On the Keypad, there are a number of buttons, including to pause it, as you mentioned, but also Local 1 (the "normal" setting), and also another button to include Sunday Stops, another for express routes (It will only call out the stops it serves, not the ones it skips) also the Night routes. Someone who knows more can correct me and/or add to this.

Well the thing is, the "bus" isn't programmed to one route at a time. Along the route the TTC has placed a number of GPS triggers so once it passes one of them, it will trigger the AA to announce the next stop. If it goes astray on a detour, it will still announce any stops if it passes the triggers it may encounter, even if it is not of its original route. On the Keypad, there are a number of buttons, including to pause it, as you mentioned, but also Local 1 (the "normal" setting), and also another button to include Sunday Stops, another for express routes (It will only call out the stops it serves, not the ones it skips) also the Night routes. Someone who knows more can correct me and/or add to this.

I'd say that's pretty acurate, I'll just add an example regarding the Local 1 and 2, Night service, etc buttons. If there is more then one route that goes down a perticular road, lets use 116 Morning side and 57 Midland as examples. In the default setting "Local 1" stop announcments when the 116 departs Kennedy station the first stop is 2495 Eglinton Ave East, however in the 57 Midland route this is not a stop it services, so that route would be on "Local 2" stop announcments, that way the system will announce Midland Ave as the next stop instead of 2495 Eglinton Ave East. Similarly the Express stop 1 and 2 settings are used in the same fasion so that the system will anounce the aporpriate stop provided the bus operator has pressed the correct button. Also providing the system is working properly. All too many times I've had a bus that the keypad is not responding so it is stuk in Local 1 mode and there is nothing I can do about it. (Yes I've tried "battery reset" and that can work, but mostly it doesn't) As for the Sunday stops, the date and time is in the system and it automaticaly knows when to announce Sunday stops and when not to.

It's loud, remember Orion doesn't bother to put much if any sound deadening technology into our buses. The 79's & 8000's are the loudest buses the TTC has ever operated.

I have never heard Nova or Flyer buses as loud as our Orion Vii's, not even close.

Forgot about the D40-90s already?

Dan

:D I know what a d40-90 is! I thought Shaun mistook my post. :D

Those d40-90's were loud though, and the vibration they made when idling. The TTC could have made extra bucks by renting then overnight to couples. :D

If you remember how loud the D700s were, I guess I don't need to ask your current age as most of us on the board haven't even seen a TTC D700 in action. lol