GOA transit news, info etc

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 5:26 PM, Oc4526 said:

Heads up for those who are signed up for My Alerts through Octranspo!

I'm pretty sure this breach occurred years ago, unless there was a new one. I had notified OC Transpo with my suspicions at the time with no reply.

My custom email address for OC alerts started getting spammed at least 3-5 years ago, I created another and it too started getting spam. My third one, created within the past 2 years has not received any spam but did get this breach notification. These addresses have not been used for any other purpose and are not easily guessed (eg dictionary attack).

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if this is the right thread but one of Novabus from 2020, 4809 just got into accident with dump truck and will be gone for a while as according to one of Facebook post. Hopefully if the driver is okay. 4809 got front end and the front window looks smashed and front end looks damage but I guess repairable as what I saw the photos from the Facebook post. Everyone please drive safely.

Although I feel the frustration, it’s not financially responsible for OC to offer free service NYE. most essential workers all have bus passes as it is and the goal with MADD and SRO taking away the funding is it will deter the over crowding of buses with pointless passengers, which actually benefits the essential workers who have no choice but to go in to work ( think March with back door boarding how full buses were when free ). 

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

Interesting turn of events... MADD & SRO revoked their funding: no charge service after 8 PM will not be provided at all, yes, to even people like myself who are essential and work New Years Eve...

Most people have bus passes. Free transit service is provided to keep party goers from drinking and driving. There wont be any legal parties happening because the entire province will be under a lockdown, therefore, no reason to provide free service!

• 3 weeks later...

Lock down Stay at Home order?

With province set to have "Stay At Home" starting Thursday12:01 AM, was wondering how this will effect OC Transpo & Scheduling?

I know service won't complete be shut down, but I'm assuming schedules mightbe cut back to either a Sat or Sun schedule. With ridership low, it's going to be even lower with the new restrictions.

Not every one can follow these new orders hospital workers, people working in pharmacies, grocery stores, and places that are consider esseantial.

I'm not sure what OC will do? 

54 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Lock down Stay at Home order?

With province set to have "Stay At Home" starting Thursday12:01 AM, was wondering how this will effect OC Transpo & Scheduling?

I know service won't complete be shut down, but I'm assuming schedules mightbe cut back to either a Sat or Sun schedule. With ridership low, it's going to be even lower with the new restrictions.

Not every one can follow these new orders hospital workers, people working in pharmacies, grocery stores, and places that are consider esseantial.

I'm not sure what OC will do? 

I highly doubt they would do anyting. Even with the full lockdown between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. the STO is still running their usual schedules. Mainly because you'll be affecting essential people who work evenings and overnights.

44 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I highly doubt they would do anyting. Even with the full lockdown between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m. the STO is still running their usual schedules. Mainly because you'll be affecting essential people who work evenings and overnights.

Not necessarily? During the First way of covid OC switched to sat schedules during the week, so it possible they may do something similar or close to it?

58 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Not necessarily? During the First way of covid OC switched to sat schedules during the week, so it possible they may do something similar or close to it?

And OC Transpo had to make adjustments by adding trips as a result of people complaining about routes not operating at certain times while running on a Saturday schedule Monday to Friday during the first wave (from March 30, 2020 to June 26, 2020).

STO general manager Marc Rousseau's last day with the STO is this Friday.

He has been hired by exo as executive manager of operations.

https://exo.quebec/fr/a-propos/medias-publications/communiques-presse/marc-rousseau-nomme-directeur-executif-de-l-exploitation

[NOT available in English - I checked]

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

When I click the link it goes to a English version?

It will present an error message saying "this page has not been translated yet."

Google Chrome has a translation feature to translate the French to English. For me, I am using Safari on my MacBook Pro and was able to use the translate feature on my browser and read the article. 

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a Transit Commission meeting on February 17, 2021. The Agenda and Staff Reports were posted today. 

One of the items of interest is Item 2 "OC Transpo Performance Measurement and Reporting" (documents for staff report: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=8286&doctype=agenda&itemid=410382). 

The area of interest is revisions to the on time performance measurement. 

My interpretation of the proposed changes to the on time performance measurement (referred to as "Measure 4.3") are:

• On Time (Green) will be under (1) minute early (maximum 59 seconds early) and not to be more than five (5) minutes late;
  • Early (Red) will be one (1) minute or more;
  • Late (Orange/Yellow) will be more than 5 minutes (5 minutes 1 second and greater).
  • Buses arriving at the final stop (terminus) early will be treated as on time
  • On time performance is measured for the entire trip from start to finish

The current on time performance measurement (since Spring 2010) are:

• On Time not to be early at all (no even one second) and not be more than five (5) minutes late;
  • Early is one (1) second or more;
  • Late is more than five (5) minutes (5 minutes 1 second and greater).

And for interest sake, the on time performance standard between late-2005 (when GPS/SmartBus was being implemented fleetwide) and Spring 2010 was as follows:

• On Time was not to be two (2) minutes early (maximum 1 minute 59 seconds early), and no more than four (4) minutes late; 
  • Early will be two (2) minutes or more;
  • Late will be more than four (4) minutes late (4 minutes 1 second and greater).
  • On time performance is measured at scheduled timepoints only listed on the operator's docket (schedule)

----

There will also be an introduction of "Excess Wait Time" (Measure 4.2.1) and "Excess Wait Time Ratio" (Measure 4.2.2) on bus routes with scheduled frequency of 15 minutes or better.

This is to measure the spacing (Headway) between buses of a particular frequent bus route. 

2 hours ago, JCL said:

There will be a Transit Commission meeting on February 17, 2021. The Agenda and Staff Reports were posted today. 

One of the items of interest is Item 2 "OC Transpo Performance Measurement and Reporting" (documents for staff report: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=8286&doctype=agenda&itemid=410382). 

The area of interest is revisions to the on time performance measurement. 

My interpretation of the proposed changes to the on time performance measurement (referred to as "Measure 4.3") are:

• On Time (Green) will be under (1) minute early (maximum 59 seconds early) and not to be more than five (5) minutes late;
  • Early (Red) will be one (1) minute or more;
  • Late (Orange/Yellow) will be more than 5 minutes (5 minutes 1 second and greater).
  • Buses arriving at the final stop (terminus) early will be treated as on time

The current on time performance measurement (since Spring 2010) are:

• On Time not to be early at all (no even one second) and not be more than five (5) minutes late;
  • Early is one (1) second or more;
  • Late is more than five (5) minutes (5 minutes 1 second and greater).

And for interest sake, the on time performance standard between late-2005 (when GPS/SmartBus was being implemented fleetwide) and Spring 2010 was as follows:

• On Time was not to be two (2) minutes early (maximum 1 minute 59 seconds early), and no more than four (4) minutes late; 
  • Early will be two (2) minutes or more;
  • Late will be more than four (4) minutes late (4 minutes 1 second and greater).
  • On time performance is measured at scheduled timepoints only listed on the operator's docket (schedule)

----

There will also be an introduction of "Excess Wait Time" (Measure 4.2.1) and "Excess Wait Time Ratio" (Measure 4.2.2) on bus routes with scheduled frequency of 15 minutes or better.

This is to measure the spacing (Headway) between buses of a particular frequent bus route. 

I think it is long overdue updating the metrics regarding on-time performance especially the last measurement was written well over 10 years ago. Giving a bit more wiggle room regarding operating early, on-time and late with an updated colour code system attached. 

Also read that they plan on publishing semi-annual and monthly score cards regarding different metrics. Reading that it was suspended due to Line 1 construction converting the existing bus infrastructure to rail. Since it wouldn't be reflective due to having to deal with traffic and delays along with additional running time to cover existing stations where possible with what capacity and budget is available. 

I know TTC publishes their metrics via the CEO report. To improve transparency within the organization. 

In my opinion, buses departing at the first stop (the very start of the trip), and when buses pass through an advertised timepoint listed on the schedule of a route should NOT be permitted to leave early (not even one minute or one second).

The lee-way of being no more than one minute early (i.e. maximum of 59 seconds early) should only apply in these two scenarios:

• Between after the bus has departed the first stop on time and before the bus reaches first timepoint
  • Between after the bus departed/passed through the first timepoint on time and before the bus reaches the next timepoint (and thereafter for each timepoint)

The next issue to resolve would be that the timepoints public timetables of a route must match with schedule that the bus operator has. 

13 hours ago, JCL said:

In my opinion, buses departing at the first stop (the very start of the trip), and when buses pass through an advertised timepoint listed on the schedule of a route should NOT be permitted to leave early (not even one minute or one second).

The lee-way of being no more than one minute early (i.e. maximum of 59 seconds early) should only apply in these two scenarios:

• Between after the bus has departed the first stop on time and before the bus reaches first timepoint
  • Between after the bus departed/passed through the first timepoint on time and before the bus reaches the next timepoint (and thereafter for each timepoint)

The next issue to resolve would be that the timepoints public timetables of a route must match with schedule that the bus operator has. 

Agreed. however the issue isn’t that buses are blowing by time points early due to the operators paddle vs what’s on the bus stop pole, the issue is there is far too many time points along a route and they just don’t line up with common sense( think Dalhousie to Rideau is 9 minutes, but Rideau to parliament station is 2 minutes on the 6 ) 

the 85 is a good example on the tail end of both ends, the trips end up early by 8-9 minutes between Preston/carling to pimisi so everyone along Preston will miss their bus if they aren’t 10 early ( and they shouldn’t have to do that ) and by the time the bus gets to pimisi, no driver is going to sit 8 minutes on a time point full of people to go 3 stops to the end 

85 on the other end once leaving Lincoln can sometimes finish +10-15 min at Bayshore due to a relaxed schedule causing a large portion of residents on carling to miss their bus 

• Buses arriving at the final stop (terminus) early will be treated as on time
  • On time performance is measured for the entire trip from start to finish.    “.  

with this wording I’m hoping this will allow a change in how things are done, tighten the time on the route so the bus leaves right on time from say Bayshore station, no having to wait because the bus will remain 1-5 min “on time” and from pimisi to Gatineau there will be too much time to allow the bus to finish Early, or “On Time” 

• Thanks 1

I just want my 85 stop being 5-10 mins late every single night. The 85 at night has a service monopoly along Carling to areas such as Maitland, Churchill, Kirkwood, to Merivale and Preston as local routes wouldn't run frequently at night if at all. Now, if the 151 (81) and 156 (83) had their original routings, I could care less that the 85 is always late because there would alternative service to get to my fulltime job, but no, apparently it's too much to ask that if they're going to cut routes and services, to at least consistantly maintain said cut services <_<. I will say, there are some nights that I can take the 57 to Lincoln, take the 51 to Carlingwood, and walk to Maitland and would STILL beat my 85 by a decent margin because they always camp out so long at their terminus.

17 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I just want my 85 stop being 5-10 mins late every single night. The 85 at night has a service monopoly along Carling to areas such as Maitland, Churchill, Kirkwood, to Merivale and Preston as local routes wouldn't run frequently at night if at all. Now, if the 151 (81) and 156 (83) had their original routings, I could care less that the 85 is always late because there would alternative service to get to my fulltime job, but no, apparently it's too much to ask that if they're going to cut routes and services, to at least consistantly maintain said cut services <_<. I will say, there are some nights that I can take the 57 to Lincoln, take the 51 to Carlingwood, and walk to Maitland and would STILL beat my 85 by a decent margin because they always camp out so long at their terminus.

Ideally this will address the issue of buses having to wait extra time at a terminal, as it stands now the 85 ( and majority of the frequent routes ) have no choice but to either leave extremely late to avoid running hot or they leave right on time and drive a dangerously slow speed or run hot and sit 5-8 min every time point. take a look at the schedules throughout the night and you’ll see from after 7 to end of service, the headway’s remain the same. Why would a bus at 1am need to same time to travel a route as a bus at 7pm? 

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Canada to spend C$15 bln on public transit projects | National Post

Still willing to bet none of this money will go into bus routes. That is the main thing OC needs to fix at the moment (other than well... the train but that's more of an RTG thing).

Bus routes generally aren't a capital project. Something like the March Road BRT or Baseline BRT are though. So I guess you could consider the route 88 and 63 getting major upgrades?

The $3 billion/year starting in 2026 (if it happens) is a much bigger deal for bus routes.