GOA transit news, info etc

On 6/23/2018 at 4:32 AM, OCtranspo10 said:

The O-Train part of walkley yard is on a 999 year lease from CP. So you could say they still technically own land in Ottawa 

True, but CP still does not operate any trains in Ottawa anymore.

They still operate through Smiths Falls though.

-Charlie 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

True, but CP still does not operate any trains in Ottawa anymore.

They still operate through Smiths Falls though.

CP also own the Winchester Sub, which runs just south of Kemptville, and the Belleville Sub, which runs through Perth.

5 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

CP also own the Winchester Sub, which runs just south of Kemptville, and the Belleville Sub, which runs through Perth.

Ah yes, I remember now. The old CP line that the OTrain now uses used to go all the way to kemptville and join up right Here.

-Charlie

I don't recall the name of the line but its gone now, but this track ran from the present O-Train line near Walkley Road split off before going over the Transitway, ran near Bank Street(between the homes and biz on Bank Street), ran behind Canadian Tire on Heron, crossed Heron Road went on to cross Bank Street  ran on whats Killborn street from Bank to where the Killborn traffic circle is now, into where those homes are now and from there not sure where it went. It was mainly freight that used it and this was back in the early 1970's.Not sure when it was abandoned but it had to be late 1970's.

18 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I don't recall the name of the line but its gone now, but this track ran from the present O-Train line near Walkley Road split off before going over the Transitway, ran near Bank Street(between the homes and biz on Bank Street), ran behind Canadian Tire on Heron, crossed Heron Road went on to cross Bank Street  ran on whats Killborn street from Bank to where the Killborn traffic circle is now, into where those homes are now and from there not sure where it went. It was mainly freight that used it and this was back in the early 1970's.Not sure when it was abandoned but it had to be late 1970's.

That was the CP Elwood Spur, which was originally part of the Sussex Street Sub.  It was abandoned in July 1984.

https://churcher.crcml.org/candate/ottawa.htm#1980

• Like 1

Regarding double decker assignments for the June service change. Here's what to expect:

Weekends

In terms of scheduled trips, double deckers will continue to be restricted onto Route 6. 

Weekdays:

As many may know, since the Winter Service change, double deckers were expanded to midday trips on Routes 91 and 95. Starting tomorrow, many more double deckers that will remain in service during the middays instead of returning back to the garage. Expect to see many (if not all) midday trips on Routes 6, 11, 12, 61, 94, and 97 - those in addition to Routes 91 and 95. 

In addition, there are some Industrial runs that are scheduled to be get articulated buses but may be assigned a double decker buses if/when required if the garage is short on buses (these are referred to internally as a "60DD" runs). A few runs with some midday trips on Routes 85, 86, 87, 98, and 99. Personally, I don't have a whole lot of confidence that these runs will actually get double decker regularly. 

Canada Day:

There will be 61 double decker runs out.
- Route 6 has 9 runs (506s)
- Route 11 has 3 runs (511s)
- Route 12 has 5 runs (512s)
- Route 61 has 6 runs (561s)
- Route 62 has 2 runs (562s)
- Route 63 has 2 runs (563s)
- Route 85 has 4 runs (585s)
- Route 87 has 1 run (587)
- Route 95 has 7 runs (595s)
- Route 97 has 3 runs (597s)
- The remaining 19 runs assigned as 109-extras (500s) to either cover runs on any routes that are late or to do an unscheduled supplement trips, at the discretion of the Supervisor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JCL said:

Regarding double decker assignments for the June service change. Here's what to expect:

Weekends

In terms of scheduled trips, double deckers will continue to be restricted onto Route 6. 

Weekdays:

As many may know, since the Winter Service change, double deckers were expanded to midday trips on Routes 91 and 95. Starting tomorrow, many more double deckers that will remain in service during the middays instead of returning back to the garage. Expect to see many (if not all) midday trips on Routes 6, 11, 12, 61, 94, and 97 - those in addition to Routes 91 and 95. 

In addition, there are some Industrial runs that are scheduled to be get articulated buses but may be assigned a double decker buses if/when required if the garage is short on buses (these are referred to internally as a "60DD" runs). A few runs with some midday trips on Routes 85, 86, 87, 98, and 99. Personally, I don't have a whole lot of confidence that these runs will actually get double decker regularly. 

Thanks JCL. I noticed there was only one out on the 6 today. The majority covered by articulated buses. 

Looking forward to seeing how effective it will be on more routes. Especially when I have seen some 99 trips covered by a double decker (Barrhaven Centre) last Friday. Noting that the 91 and 95 have already taken a frequency reduction when running double deckers (7.5 minutes combined frequency or 15 minutes). 

At least some more high volume routes are added to the mix now beyond 91 and 95. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Looking forward to seeing how effective it will be on more routes. Especially when I have seen some 99 trips covered by a double decker (Barrhaven Centre) last Friday. Noting that the 91 and 95 have already taken a frequency reduction when running double deckers (7.5 minutes combined frequency or 15 minutes).

Double deckers were introduced onto Route 99 during the April service change on select trips during the rush hour. 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:32 AM, OCtranspo10 said:

The O-Train part of walkley yard is on a 999 year lease from CP. So you could say they still technically own land in Ottawa 

The lease actually expires at the end of 2021, but with options to extend it by at least 20 years.

4 hours ago, sseguin said:

Are the classics not in regular weekday service anymore? I haven’t paid attention recently to notice. And if they are about how many remain?

They show up during peak hours sometimes. I've seen a few in June.

4 hours ago, sseguin said:

Are the classics not in regular weekday service anymore? I haven’t paid attention recently to notice. And if they are about how many remain?

Only eight Classics are left, and that includes all of 9131-9138 (the Ex-Calgary buses). There are no more original STO Classics left.

They're being used as spares currently. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, sseguin said:

If anyone goes by, let us know if you can see anything into the LRT station as you pass through, or if it is just a link to the stairs and the rest is boarded off. Interesting to know if the elevator is accessible.

Nothing is visible. All boarded off. One staircase is open with direct pathway into trapezoid shaped foyer into mall.

1 hour ago, sseguin said:

If anyone goes by, let us know if you can see anything into the LRT station as you pass through, or if it is just a link to the stairs and the rest is boarded off. Interesting to know if the elevator is accessible.

The access point is at St. Laurent Mall on the lowest floor near the Dollarama. I think it was that link they are specifically referring to and not the in the actual station itself

5 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Just saw on CTV News that a total of 345 drivers will be given notices of being laid off by August 3rd. That’s down from the nearly double number they were saying a couple years ago.

-Charlie

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo-to-lay-off-345-staff-1.4026972

Yep, it's sad to see people's jobs disappear.