GOA transit news, info etc

13 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Funny how OC Transpo always have technical difficulties when the service is falling apart Downtown with delays on the usual routes at the usual places.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it's just a part of the big over-arching glitch that's been plaguing the system since late-March. The 560 system has been working on and off, and I'm mostly using it at 4:15 in the morning.

Better Bus Stops Project: stop location changes on St. Laurent starting April 22

We’re redistributing stops on St. Laurent Blvd., between Elmvale and Walkley. The stop at St-Laurent and Tawney (#7284) will move one block south to Connery. The stops at St-Laurent/Nerta (#8346) and St-Laurent/Susan (#7287) will be removed. These changes will make trips on Routes 40, 48 and 49 faster, smoother and more reliable. We want to know what you think about the new stop locations and how they affect your trips. More info on these stop changes and feedback form »

14 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Better Bus Stops Project: stop location changes on St. Laurent starting April 22

We’re redistributing stops on St. Laurent Blvd., between Elmvale and Walkley. The stop at St-Laurent and Tawney (#7284) will move one block south to Connery. The stops at St-Laurent/Nerta (#8346) and St-Laurent/Susan (#7287) will be removed. These changes will make trips on Routes 40, 48 and 49 faster, smoother and more reliable. We want to know what you think about the new stop locations and how they affect your trips. More info on these stop changes and feedback form »

I’d say about time they do the same down Alta Vista, however I am not complaining having 2 stops in a block:lol:.

-Charlie

An interesting article published today:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-tickets-fare-evasion-1.4620612

Fare inspectors are issuing fewer tickets especially with how many buses are proof of payment. A few years ago, there used to be 14 fare media inspectors or usually six per shift.

With the Confederation Line coming online later this year, there have been discussions to eliminate rear door boarding unless it is a fare paid area (Tunney's, Hurdman and Blair). A similar model to what the TTC employs at subway stations with a fare paid area.

Good Luck!! with rear door boarding being in effect so long its going to be hard stopping people from boarding the middle  rear doors of artics. Unless someone's getting off the bus, the driver can keep the middle & rear doors shut,other wise if the door opens and there are tons of peole waiting to board the bus, they'll all pill on the middle and rear doors.

I dought thgis will stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Good Luck!! with rear door boarding being in effect so long its going to be hard stopping people from boarding the middle  rear doors of artics. Unless someone's getting off the bus, the driver can keep the middle & rear doors shut,other wise if the door opens and there are tons of peole waiting to board the bus, they'll all pill on the middle and rear doors.

I hope they don't... We already see how long it takes to load up an Arctic on STO... It'd be complete chaos with OC Transpo since we've had backboarding since the Orion III's... (I know we had GM articulated buses, but I don't know if you were allowed to board the back)

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I can understand the challenge especially how they said the "proof of payment" system is effective and minimizes the need for additional running time or buses to compensate for such delays. Knowing that Rideau is definitely the challenging part of the network since no fare inspectors get on outside of the Transitway.

Unless they want to send some special constables over to ensure compliance, but that would cost money. Especially when I know the TTC would have ensure compliance for people boarding through the front door at certain stations. Or check for proof of payment at subway stations.

33 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I hope they don't... We already see how long it takes to load up an Arctic on STO... It'd be complete chaos with OC Transpo since we've had backboarding since the Orion III's... (I know we had GM articulated buses, but I don't know if you were allowed to board the back)

It can take up a lot of time. I remember having this discussion years ago on why OC Transpo employs this and if they didn't have it, the buses would be pretty late.

Especially during the afternoon peak, the buses do get pretty jammed in the bus only lane. 

Got this in a email from the STO
Come try a bike rack!

Have you seen the bike racks on the front of the buses? Are you wondering how they work? This week and next week, the STO's team will be at different stations and park-and-rides to give you a chance to try out the bike rack and ask questions.

Come try the bike rack!

From 3:30 to 6:30 p.m.:

Tuesday, April 17: Labrosse station

Thursday, April 19: De la Gappe station

Tuesday, April 24: Rivermead Park-and-Ride 

Thursday, April 26: Montcalm station

Get a chance to win some fabulous prizes.

23 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Yes, the GM artics had back-door boarding, introducing the POP concept as soon as they entered service.  In fact, there were arrows and Xs on the centre and rear doors to indicate that one side was for boarding and the other for disembarking:

http://public.fotki.com/esbdave/canadian-transit/ontario-transit-agencies/oc-transpo/oc-transpo-8215f.html

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 4:17 PM, Oc4526 said:

I'd remove Susan, keep Nerta, and not move Tawney. The stop at 1971 St-Laurent should be removed, though.

On 2018-04-16 at 1:12 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

An interesting article published today:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-tickets-fare-evasion-1.4620612

Fare inspectors are issuing fewer tickets especially with how many buses are proof of payment. A few years ago, there used to be 14 fare media inspectors or usually six per shift.

With the Confederation Line coming online later this year, there have been discussions to eliminate rear door boarding unless it is a fare paid area (Tunney's, Hurdman and Blair). A similar model to what the TTC employs at subway stations with a fare paid area.

Why would they eliminate rear door boarding? It helps with crowds. I think it'd make more sense just to keep it the way it is, as if only front boarding was allowed, it would take longer and potentially make buses late as a result of all this.

Personally, I never boarded from the back anyways, so it doesn't affect me, but still.

3 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Why would they eliminate rear door boarding? It helps with crowds. I think it'd make more sense just to keep it the way it is, as if only front boarding was allowed, it would take longer and potentially make buses late as a result of all this.

Personally, I never boarded from the back anyways, so it doesn't affect me, but still.

Exactly, try and say "front boarding only" at Baseline Station, buses will be there for a good 5 minutes.

35 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Would it makes sense to simply allow all door boarding at peak times during rush hour, or during special events like something at lansdowne or bluesfest?

-Charlie

Not really, even off peak at places like Algonquin College (Baseline station) is busy even during weekday off peaks

51 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Would it makes sense to simply allow all door boarding at peak times during rush hour, or during special events like something at lansdowne or bluesfest?

-Charlie

18 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Not really, even off peak at places like Algonquin College (Baseline station) is busy even during weekday off peaks

I think it would make sense during special events or the peak periods when there is high volume. 

Though some stations can also be a challenge especially like @OCTranspoMaster mentioned some stations still receive high volume even outside of peak periods. MacKenzie King Station/Rideau Centre is another major hub. Would be hard to enforce front door boarding without staff on-hand to enforce and ensure compliance.

Hurdman will eventually be a fare paid zone, so all door boarding would be permitted in that situation. Along with Blair and Tunney's which also will be fare paid zones within the station. Having to pay a fare at the station. 

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

-Charlie

That's basically how it works now. Articulated buses don't open all their doors at Walkley station when only one person wants to board for example. It's just driver discretion.

7 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I think it would make sense during special events or the peak periods when there is high volume. 

Though some stations can also be a challenge especially like @OCTranspoMaster mentioned some stations still receive high volume even outside of peak periods. MacKenzie King Station/Rideau Centre is another major hub. Would be hard to enforce front door boarding without staff on-hand to enforce and ensure compliance.

Hurdman will eventually be a fare paid zone, so all door boarding would be permitted in that situation. Along with Blair and Tunney's which also will be fare paid zones within the station. Having to pay a fare at the station. 

Remember, the downtown transitway will no longer have nearly the volume of buses or people using OC Transpo it has now.

I also think that a bigger part of this is OC Transpo cracking down on fare evaders, and trying to gain more lost revenue, but then again maybe one way that will further eliminate fare dodging is all the gates at the LRT stations.