TTC Next Surface Vehicle Information System

yrt+viva=1system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

"TTC launches expansion of next vehicle arrival system

Today at 2:50pm

The Toronto Transit Commission today launched the expansion of the next vehicle arrival system. Toronto Mayor David Miller and TTC Chair Adam Giambrone unveiled the first transit shelter next vehicle arrival sign at the streetcar platform at Broadview Station. The sign’s solar powered energy source is being assessed for use and installation at other transit shelters.

The Next Vehicle Arrival System will enable TTC customers to find out when their next bus or streetcar will arrive. This information will appear on either flat-screen LCD monitors at subway stations, or via LED screens mounted at transit shelters and subway station streetcar/bus bays. The Next Vehicle Arrival System uses Global Positioning System (GPS) software to determine the location of vehicles while they are in service. A software application uses this location information to predict vehicle arrival times at bus/streetcar stops. The location information is then sent to the appropriate sign on the route. The TTC fleet of 248 streetcars have been retrofitted with the GPS system. The 1,782 bus fleet continues to be retrofitted, with completion in early 2011.

The initial pilot system was launched in 2008 at Spadina and Union stations with a focus on the streetcar service. The roll-out for the bus network is scheduled for 2011 to coincide with the GPS retrofit.

The expansion of the system includes LED displays located at the following transit shelters and subway stations:

· Dundas/Spadina

· King/Bathurst

· King/Spadina

· Queen/Spadina

· Bathurst/Adelaide

· Broadview Station

· Dundas West Station

· Spadina Station

· Union Station

The expansion also includes LCD displays located at the following transit shelters and subway stations:

· Broadview Station

· Main Street Station

· Bathurst Station

· St. Clair Station

· Spadina Station

· Union Station

LED and LCD signs will continue to be installed at additional transit shelters and subway stations throughout 2010. In addition, customers will be able to use SMS text messaging technology to obtain next vehicle arrival information at all 800 streetcar stops beginning in mid 2010, and all bus stops in early 2011."

A TTC release.

• 3 months later...

It was said On the Rocket that there are seven streetcar shelters with next vehicle display installed, and that 43 more will be done in the near future. The next vehicle display system will be expanded to buses later next year.

It was said On the Rocket that there are seven streetcar shelters with next vehicle display installed, and that 43 more will be done in the near future. The next vehicle display system will be expanded to buses later next year.

The groundwork on all the buses (gps system fan-out circuit boards to tie it in to CIS and other hardware add-ons) are already installed and complete.

The final ones to be equipped were finished late April.

All they have to do now is activate it.

• 10 months later...

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/07/nvas_fo...live_on_monday/

NVAS for TTC buses finally to go live on Monday

Lost in all of yesterday's talk of the TTC's new advertising contract and the possibility of station naming rights being sold was the news that GPS-based next vehicle arrival times for TTC buses will be made available starting on Monday. This comes almost two months after a beta version of the feed was inadvertently made available on May 10th, but subsequently taken down for further refinement and testing.

Although not all bus stops will be adorned with stickers notifying customers of the number to text when the data goes live, those looking to use the service immediately can consult a list that will be put up on the TTC website. The information will also be available through the NextBus web and mobile sites, and one suspects that by the end of next week popular apps like Rocket Radar, Pocket Rocket and Next TTC will have pushed through updates that make use of the new open data feed.

For my money, these dedicated apps are the best way to get next vehicle information, but the good news for people who don't carry smartphones is that a staff proposal to charge users who use SMS messaging for this information has been deferred for review until September 22nd. Had it passed, riders would have been allotted two free texts per day, after which point each subsequent message was to cost 15 cents.

This is all quite welcome news for those who rely on buses for their daily commute. Using the fixed schedule (posted at bus stops and online) for surface vehicles was always a great way to add some frustration to one's day, and I can't say I'll miss that.

So, the next vehicle arrival system when in effect around 2am monday. I checked around 12:45am and it was still listing streetcars, and when i checked again around 2 it had buses added on...

:-)

And the maps are back... I remember a while back they were taken down by the ttc

So, the next vehicle arrival system when in effect around 2am monday. I checked around 12:45am and it was still listing streetcars, and when i checked again around 2 it had buses added on...

:-)

And the maps are back... I remember a while back they were taken down by the ttc

Confirmed. However, some of the random stops I have chosen off of the TTC's website are spotty. Some have no predictions, while others are still not in service or apparently they do not exist.

I wonder if this particular service only works for mobile phones in Canada? I heard that many tourists (from as far as the UK, the US and even China (and Japan too!)) will visit the city and wanted to know if this particular service works on all major carriers - regardless of country?

Should work with all Canadian carriers. But here is the thing, phones bought from outside of Canada may run on a different GSM frequency bands so when they are here in Canada (GSM-800 & GSM-1900) they may only be using EDGE. Maybe someone where who uses EDGE can tell us if it works.

Should work with all Canadian carriers. But here is the thing, phones bought from outside of Canada may run on a different GSM frequency bands so when they are here in Canada (GSM-800 & GSM-1900) they may only be using EDGE. Maybe someone where who uses EDGE can tell us if it works.

If your phone is capable of receiving and processing data and displaying the info, it doesn't matter what band it is connected to.

Dan

I noticed on the maps if a route is on diversion it doesnt show the vehicles on the map. For example, now that 81 thorncliffe buses are diverting to donlands station, on the map it shows the buses only between the leaside bridge and the thorncliffe area. I'd assume that it would of showed the vehicles going down donlands

I noticed on the maps if a route is on diversion it doesnt show the vehicles on the map. For example, now that 81 thorncliffe buses are diverting to donlands station, on the map it shows the buses only between the leaside bridge and the thorncliffe area. I'd assume that it would of showed the vehicles going down donlands
This has been a problem for some time with the streetcar routes on the NextBus site. You currently see this on 504 between Spadina and Shaw (currently diverting on Queen), and the 506 between Parliament and Broadview (which NextBus thinks is diverting on Dundas and Queen); presumably on the Bathurst car as well.

But it depends which app you use. This one shows the vehicle locations even when they are off the "route" - http://whereismystreetcar.appspot.com/#RTE_81 (though they don't appear to have mapped the bus routes yet in the app).