York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

The Highway 7 rapidway platforms that were dug up ~6 weeks ago finally had some work done on them! New concrete curbs were poured on the morning of April 28th. Considering there will need to be time to let these new platform edges harden up, then a need to lay new tiles (both regular and edge), I suspect it will be a while still before the full platform returns. Afterwards, they will need to do the same treatment the rest of the platform lengths as well.

52859131122_5d47c635af_z.jpg

2024 Transit Initiatives slide deck has been posted. I cannot attach the file due to size.

Link below:

https://online.flippingbook.com/view/458112866/

Some of the proposed changes:

• Extended service hours on select routes including weekend service on some routes
  • Proposed frequency increases along some corridors
  • Route 33 Wellington extended to Davis Drive and Highway 404 Park and Ride via Leslie along with renaming to Wellington-Leslie
  • New Express Route 361 Huntington/Nashville via Highway 407 Terminal during peak periods with a 26 minute frequency 
  • New school routes
  • Mobility-On-Request adjustments 

Final comments:

Still no plan on restoration for the peak period Viva routes (Blue A, Green and Pink) most likely since there are still alternative routes that can take on the current passenger volumes. Which is the question for some people that will be asking since those routes have been suspended for 3 years and counting, but still on the list.

Route 8 Kennedy extending service hours to midnight Monday to Saturday is to better accommodate the new York University Markham campus. Though, if the change is approved it won't be until at least September 2024. Since the current schedule for campus opening is Spring 2024 from the last check. I think they could have instead focused on having Pink replace Purple A and leave the Finch extension during peak periods only. Though, I think any changes to Purple A or Pink is most likely deferred to 2025 pending funding and resource availability.

Route 90 Leslie: It does feel strange that weekend/holiday service currently ends at 8 PM. Which if approved, Saturday service would be extended until midnight and Sunday/holiday service would be extended until 10 PM. Maintaining the current frequency levels to better accommodate ridership demand. 

2024 Transit Initiatives is more focused on increasing frequency along certain corridors along with a few route adjustments to better address gaps. Pending available funding and resources.

9 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

2024 Transit Initiatives slide deck has been posted. I cannot attach the file due to size.

Link below:

https://online.flippingbook.com/view/458112866/

Some of the proposed changes:

• Extended service hours on select routes including weekend service on some routes
  • Proposed frequency increases along some corridors
  • Route 33 Wellington extended to Davis Drive and Highway 404 Park and Ride via Leslie along with renaming to Wellington-Leslie
  • New Express Route 361 Huntington/Nashville via Highway 407 Terminal during peak periods with a 26 minute frequency 
  • New school routes
  • Mobility-On-Request adjustments 

Final comments:

Still no plan on restoration for the peak period Viva routes (Blue A, Green and Pink) most likely since there are still alternative routes that can take on the current passenger volumes. Which is the question for some people that will be asking since those routes have been suspended for 3 years and counting, but still on the list.

Route 8 Kennedy extending service hours to midnight Monday to Saturday is to better accommodate the new York University Markham campus. Though, if the change is approved it won't be until at least September 2024. Since the current schedule for campus opening is Spring 2024 from the last check. I think they could have instead focused on having Pink replace Purple A and leave the Finch extension during peak periods only. Though, I think any changes to Purple A or Pink is most likely deferred to 2025 pending funding and resource availability.

Route 90 Leslie: It does feel strange that weekend/holiday service currently ends at 8 PM. Which if approved, Saturday service would be extended until midnight and Sunday/holiday service would be extended until 10 PM. Maintaining the current frequency levels to better accommodate ridership demand. 

2024 Transit Initiatives is more focused on increasing frequency along certain corridors along with a few route adjustments to better address gaps. Pending available funding and resources.

Customer relations coordinator told me green will come back in the restructured routing

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Saw 2486 on Friday its got a number of visible rust spots especially under the middle window.  I don't see GO MCI's too often, is visible exterior rusting common on them?

wrong channel

10 hours ago, menath said:

Customer relations coordinator told me green will come back in the restructured routing

With the route restructuring on Major Mackenzie sending routes to the Park & Ride lot at the 404, where do they plan on turning back the VIVA Green?  My idea of just merging it with the proposed VIVA Silver along Jane to Hwy. 407 station didn't seem to be well received here.  The Major Mackenzie West Terminal seemed like a decent compromise allowing the restructured VIVA Green to hit Richmond Hill GO, Hillcrest Mall, Maple GO and both sites of the Mackenzie Health Network.  That relegates VIVA Silver to a stump similar to VIVA Yellow (maybe rename it Gold?).  Perhaps the services can be blended on Major Mackenzie between MMWT and the 404 P&R with Green ending at the former and Silver at the latter? 

21 minutes ago, Gil said:

With the route restructuring on Major Mackenzie sending routes to the Park & Ride lot at the 404, where do they plan on turning back the VIVA Green?  My idea of just merging it with the proposed VIVA Silver along Jane to Hwy. 407 station didn't seem to be well received here.  The Major Mackenzie West Terminal seemed like a decent compromise allowing the restructured VIVA Green to hit Richmond Hill GO, Hillcrest Mall, Maple GO and both sites of the Mackenzie Health Network.  That relegates VIVA Silver to a stump similar to VIVA Yellow (maybe rename it Gold?).  Perhaps the services can be blended on Major Mackenzie between MMWT and the 404 P&R with Green ending at the former and Silver at the latter? 

I think the rerouted Green was always intended to make it to Yonge Street, as that would be the biggest destination/transfer location for any riders east of Yonge; there would be an overlapped stretch with Silver (which would likely turn back at either Richmond Hill GO or the plaza at Bayview) to allow for transfers between routes.

Given how quiet YRT has been lately on their plans for introducing the Green/Silver service nowadays, I have no idea if their original routing options are still on the table or if they've changed.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ORION said:

I was at MTB for a business meeting yesterday and observed various Xcelsiors undergoing refurbishment. 

Building on what you're saying; the 14xx have been in refurb since late last year IIRC, and started shortly after the 11xx LFRs were completed. The first few refurbished units have already returned.

After a bit of a backlog following large delivery years in 2009-2011, the gap from then until the 2014 Xcelsiors have caught them back to a standard 9-year midlife refurb mark.

YRT is looking at eliminating the express fare and cash fare supplement for those who are transferring from a regular route in September 2023. Right now, the express routes which are the 300 series is $4.75 or a 50 cent supplement with an existing transfer or coming from Go Transit. With Presto, it goes down to $4.38 for adults. 

There are also plans to eliminate monthly passes and instead shift to a fare capping system. Monthly trip cap would work like this:

• Adults: 40 one way rides
  • Youth: 39 one way rides
  • Child/senior: 28 one way rides

Fare capping was trialed via Transit Assistance Program.

I have attached the file for record keeping in this post. 

Final comments:

I do remember when YRT removed the zone fare system back in 2017. Especially if you were to go south of King Road, north of Bloomington or north/south of Ravenshoe Road. Having to inform the transit operator to adjust the correct fare zone (two or three) or activating the two zone fare on the Presto device for Viva which fare inspectors can verify which device was tapped and if the correct zones were applied. 

Considering an adult monthly pass is $154/month, you would need at least 37 one-way rides to break even on the cost at $4.25 or 40 one-way rides at the discounted Presto rate.  Transfers don't count towards the paid 40 one-way rides requirement. 

I think fare capping is a better approach versus buying a monthly pass since you only pay for when you use it. Especially with shifting travel patterns along with work from home. 

York Region Transit Fare Structure and Policy Update.pdf

Service Changes are coming July 2nd

Route 4 – Major Mackenzie

Route 4 will service platform 1 instead of platform 2 at Major Mackenzie west terminal.

Route 86 – Newkirk-Red Maple

Weekdays:

Schedules will be adjusted.

Frequency will be adjusted as follows:

Morning rush hour – every 24 minutes

Afternoon rush hour – every 50 minutes

Early evening – every 27 minutes

Late evening – every 46 minutes

First and last trips will be adjusted.

Route 88 – Bathurst

Weekdays:

The 2:30 p.m. northbound trip departing Bathurst Street/Shaftsbury Avenue (stop 2764) to connect with the afternoon bell at St. Theresa of Lisieux Catholic High School will be discontinued.

Route 88 – Bathurst afternoon schedule will be adjusted in September for the 2023/2024 school year.

Route 90 – Leslie

Weekdays:

The additional northbound trip departing Steeles Avenue/Don Mills Road (stop 1936) at 2:39 p.m. to address overcrowding at St. Robert Catholic High School will be suspended during the summer holidays. The trip will be reinstated in September for the 2023/2024 school year.

Route 105 – Dufferin

Service Adjustments:

Schedules will be adjusted to meet customer demand.

Weekdays:

Midday – every 30 minutes

Saturdays:

Evening – approximately every 62 minutes

Sundays/holidays:

Evening – every 55 minutes

Route 300 – Business

Weekdays:

This trip was implemented on May 5, 2023:

An additional afternoon trip departing Commerce Valley Drive/ Leslie Street (stop 1192) at 5:07 p.m. was implemented to address overcrowding concerns.

Route 720 – Highway 407 Terminal/Wonderland

Service Adjustments:

Route 720 will operate seven days a week (weekdays, weekends and holidays). Schedules will be adjusted to match Canada’s Wonderland and Vaughan Mills Mall’s operating hours. First and last trips will be adjusted.

The following stops will be serviced:

Highway 407 Bus Terminal

SmartVMC Bus Terminal

Vaughan Mills Terminal

Stops 5955 and 4913 on Jane Street at Norwood Avenue (for access to Canada’s Wonderland)

Major Mackenzie West Terminal

Route 760 – Vaughan Mills/Wonderland

Service adjustments:

Route 760 will operate seven days a week (weekdays, weekends and holidays). Schedules will be adjusted to match Canada’s Wonderland and Vaughan Mills Mall’s operating hours.

School Specials

With the end of the 2022 / 2023 school year, all 400 series School Special routes will be suspended for the summer. School Special services will be reinstated in September with the exception of the following routes.

Reinstated effective Monday, August 28, 2023:

424 Keswick High School Special

462 Maple High School Special

Unfourtantely Some Routes are still suspended to this day

21 hours ago, menath said:

With the end of the 2022 / 2023 school year, all 400 series School Special routes will be suspended for the summer. School Special services will be reinstated in September with the exception of the following routes.

Reinstated effective Monday, August 28, 2023:

424 Keswick High School Special

462 Maple High School Special

For the last few years now, the 462 was supposed to be permanently discontinued at the end of each school year, but it kept coming back the next school year.

On 5/1/2023 at 3:29 PM, Mike said:

Saw 2486 on Friday its got a number of visible rust spots especially under the middle window.  I don't see GO MCI's too often, is visible exterior rusting common on them?

inside pic of one of the viva orange buses, taken last month .

viva.orange.jpg

YRT introducing text message option for the next arrival. Tweet attached:

Final comments:

I get that it is an alternative option for those that don't have access to cellular data outside of a Viva station or select stops that have the variable messaging screens. At the same time, maybe they should focus on providing better frequency than fancy tools that aren't as useful outside of the major corridors with very limited frequencies. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

YRT introducing text message option for the next arrival. Tweet attached:

Final comments:

I get that it is an alternative option for those that don't have access to cellular data outside of a Viva station or select stops that have the variable messaging screens. At the same time, maybe they should focus on providing better frequency than fancy tools that aren't as useful outside of the major corridors with very limited frequencies. 

Even their image doesn’t Instil confidence in their service. 8:21 then 8:48.. yikes 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 10:37 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

If I recall correctly, 26 to replace the 2008 AG300 buses and 2010 Nova LFX articulated buses.

There is currently no information on delivery or fleet numbers. 

wow  cant believe the first LFXs are being replaced already... i remember first riding them when they had their plastic blue wheel covers