McNicoll Bus Garage - Updates and Discussion

Kobayashi

That will be a ‘we’ll have to wait and see’ thing because the routes that are transferring won’t necessarily be able to keep the night work that they interline with (ie. the 51 Leslie to the 320 Yonge NB runs that currently come out of Wilson since the 51 is transferring to McNicoll)

• 2 weeks later...

On @Xtrazsteve's 927 move to Mount Dennis:

Did Arrow Road ran the 927 since its inception (as the 191 HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS) back in 1991? I don't think the records show that Queensway division never ran that route from the start. This goes with the 46 MARTIN GROVE moved to Arrow (around 1993 to 1996) or 45 KIPLING runs as well (c. 1996).

4 hours ago, Express Network said:

On @Xtrazsteve's 927 move to Mount Dennis:

Did Arrow Road ran the 927 since its inception (as the 191 HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS) back in 1991? I don't think the records show that Queensway division never ran that route from the start. This goes with the 46 MARTIN GROVE moved to Arrow (around 1993 to 1996) or 45 KIPLING runs as well (c. 1996).

Yes. I don't think the route has ever moved. Back then they ran with fishbowls. Even the 46 ran with fishbowls before they got the Orion V 7000s. So Arrow had the 46 before the 7000s arrived.

• 2 months later...

What is official , some operators will be transferred as a result of the master for the Jan Board. Not everyone, some. I guess they are moving Ops that don't need training, and were they are short staff.

Some documents say Oct 2020, some say Fall of 2020. Well see the closer we get, lots can happen in a year

• Like 2

The exterior is saying early to summer of 2020 for the garage to be in service. Even some of the inside that I have seen saying the same thing.

In someway, this garage could be TTC Open Door Event at the end of May 2020

Those who get move to the new garage will be parking on pavers.

Nov 24 shots

49169371023_7c35927acb_b.jpg49169852006_ffbd62daa2_b.jpg49169853936_0d80457fae_b.jpg49170088417_37a6019509_b.jpg49169860731_53fb75be9c_b.jpg49169382208_f4a96de465_b.jpg49169862881_01b57af5b4_b.jpg49169865966_d3be99b077_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Was by the place beginning of Jan on a Sat and it was a full house of work taking place in side, with the large amount of vehicles parked out side. More vehicles than I have seen in the past. The south end was trap off and most likely concrete being pour for the outside parking area for the buses.

On 2/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, Express Network said:

Are there any fleet allocation plans for bus assignments system-wide incl. McNicoll? There’s a draft allocation sheet posted In the wicket in the garage.

Can anyone like @FlyerD901 or @leylandvictory2 confirm or deny?

we the drivers don't have access to the draft allocation sheet.  I sort of have an idea but for sure it will get nova artics.  

5 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

we the drivers don't have access to the draft allocation sheet.  I sort of have an idea but for sure it will get nova artics.  

I've also heard their will be no full electric buses or charging infrastructure at McNicoll for the foreseeable future.

28 minutes ago, BusFanForever said:

I've also heard their will be no full electric buses or charging infrastructure at McNicoll for the foreseeable future.

Someone definitely lied to you. McNicoll is supposed to be fully electric bus ready when it open. ‘Will electric buses go there right away?’, is another thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Someone definitely lied to you. McNicoll is supposed to be fully electric bus ready when it open. ‘Will electric buses go there right away?’, is another thing

Besides, the TTC also has to decide on whose charging technology to equip. There's a reason why they're trialling e-buses from three makers and putting each maker in a separate garage - simply because of compatibility. If they install infrastructure now, they're pretty much stuck with whoever supplied it, i.e. proprietary.

28 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

You know, back generators in case hydro goes down. 

It seems to me that a generator big enough to handle recharging even a few electric buses would be a major piece of equipment.

A quick search doesn't show what charging stations the TTC is using. Looking at Proterra's charging stations, I would think even the 125kW station would be inadequate, which would make the 500kW station a reasonable choice. And more than one, depending on how many buses you want to recharge in a reasonable period of time.

That makes me think that a 1000kW generator is the bare minimum to recharge even a small (5-10) electric bus fleet. That doesn't look cheap or maintenance free.

So it seems to me that either you can't recharge enough electric buses to really make it worthwhile, or you have install massive backup generating capacity to recharge a fleet if the power is down for a significant while. If that's the plan, well, that's interesting.

14 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

It seems to me that a generator big enough to handle recharging even a few electric buses would be a major piece of equipment.

A quick search doesn't show what charging stations the TTC is using. Looking at Proterra's charging stations, I would think even the 125kW station would be inadequate, which would make the 500kW station a reasonable choice. And more than one, depending on how many buses you want to recharge in a reasonable period of time.

That makes me think that a 1000kW generator is the bare minimum to recharge even a small (5-10) electric bus fleet. That doesn't look cheap or maintenance free.

So it seems to me that either you can't recharge enough electric buses to really make it worthwhile, or you have install massive backup generating capacity to recharge a fleet if the power is down for a significant while. If that's the plan, well, that's interesting.

Welcome to running an electric bus fleet. 

The Mount Dennis Metrolinx yard will have a 30MWh energy storage facility. Some back of the envelope math using the 125kW system as a guide says one of those in an e-bus yard means a full charge for 80 buses (probably 60-70 in practice)

18 hours ago, dowlingm said:

The Mount Dennis Metrolinx yard will have a 30MWh energy storage facility. Some back of the envelope math using the 125kW system as a guide says one of those in an e-bus yard means a full charge for 80 buses (probably 60-70 in practice)

The batteries in an electric bus seem to be in the hundreds of kWh. With North American usage being that 1000 kWh = 1 MWh, you'd still need minimal losses taking the power from the storage batteries and charging the buses. I suspect that 50% efficiency is way optimistic. That means you may be able to charge 30 buses, perhaps.

I honestly don't understand the usage case for a backup generator beyond one to keep the lights on in the garage. How many buses did the TTC send out during the second day of the big blackout in 2003? Until the fleet is overwhelmingly electric, send out the diesel buses. Hopefully the diesel pumps still work at the garages, and at the distribution centres.