Adieu MR-63

Mark Walton

A farewell tour would have been more inclusive if riders were given a chance on a weekends to say good bye.

I have heard "Good Riddance" a number of times about the MR-63.  However...

These trains were "home" to me for the past 35 years.  They took me to school, to work, to play, to eat and back home. Their distinctive sights, sounds and sensations are never to be seen again.  I expect that the three remaining cars will be stashed stingily out of public view.

These trains were not junk. They were generally reliable. The automatic train control system was refined. Healthy, well-maintained trains were fast.  About half of the motor cars suffered from shaking and vibrations, but a good number them delivered decent rides and there were some rare well-balanced MR-63 motor car gems with soft Éligo springs that rode like clouds, even smoother than the dampered and air-sprung Azur. Brand-new trains now coming out of the factories have similar cab facade styles.

Why not keep a few of them? There are always naysayers who will quickly howl that it costs too much (really?), need parts that are made in-house, a special team of mechanics and additional driver training, but say nothing of the exploding costs of acquiring and maintaining new hybrid buses.

Like the street cars of New Orleans, true respect for Montreal and Quebec heritage treasures could have been proposed: 

Two complete trains could have been preserved in full operational condition (with a mountain of spare parts from their scrapped siblings). Imagine one repainted blue with 1966 striping, the other refurbished with the current paint scheme. 

Imagine them integrated into glass-walled showroom parking spaces in the middle of a newly-built Métro station, ready to be pulled out for occasional service.

What could have been, is no more.

If there are trains running around this weekend (July 9 and 10), please let me know.

1 hour ago, Jack 47 said:

A farewell tour would have been more inclusive if riders were given a chance on a weekends to say good bye.

I have heard "Good Riddance" a number of times about the MR-63.  However...

These trains were "home" to me for the past 35 years.  They took me to school, to work, to play, to eat and back home. Their distinctive sights, sounds and sensations are never to be seen again.  I expect that the three remaining cars will be stashed stingily out of public view.

These trains were not junk. They were generally reliable. The automatic train control system was refined. Healthy, well-maintained trains were fast.  About half of the motor cars suffered from shaking and vibrations, but a good number them delivered decent rides and there were some rare well-balanced MR-63 motor car gems with soft Éligo springs that rode like clouds, even smoother than the dampered and air-sprung Azur. Brand-new trains now coming out of the factories have similar cab facade styles.

Why not keep a few of them? There are always naysayers who will quickly howl that it costs too much (really?), need parts that are made in-house, a special team of mechanics and additional driver training, but say nothing of the exploding costs of acquiring and maintaining new hybrid buses.

Like the street cars of New Orleans, true respect for Montreal and Quebec heritage treasures could have been proposed: 

Two complete trains could have been preserved in full operational condition (with a mountain of spare parts from their scrapped siblings). Imagine one repainted blue with 1966 striping, the other refurbished with the current paint scheme. 

Imagine them integrated into glass-walled showroom parking spaces in the middle of a newly-built Métro station, ready to be pulled out for occasional service.

What could have been, is no more.

If there are trains running around this weekend (July 9 and 10), please let me know.

The week of June 17 will be the final week in operation.

On 6/14/2018 at 10:06 PM, Transitfan39 said:

I wonder if the STM would do something rare and allow the cabin door to be open like they did when the Laval extension opened in 2007

It would be nice. They did the same thing with Azur on the first day.

The STM also announced that they would be stickers on the train for Merci MR-63.

97214070_mercimr-63.thumb.jpg.bed699daad3bc282b597a9523251d02b.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/16/2018 at 6:23 PM, FelixINX said:

It would be nice. They did the same thing with Azur on the first day.

The STM also announced that they would be stickers on the train for Merci MR-63.

97214070_mercimr-63.thumb.jpg.bed699daad3bc282b597a9523251d02b.jpg

They did open the door on element 016 today. Though there were too many people crowding the door when I went in, rather similarly to the Azur's inaugural.

• Like 2

The final MR-63 to operate on the Yellow Line was as follows.

BERRI 81-532 * 80-016 * 81-531 * 81-506 * 80-003 * 81-505 * 81-502 * 80-001 * 81-501 LONGUEUIL

59 minutes ago, anyfong said:

They did open the door on element 016 today. Though there were too many people crowding the door when I went in, rather similarly to the Azur's inaugural.

The door was open for the last trip only. I asked the operator if it was ok, and he accepted.

• Like 1

It seems as though they will be preserving 3 cars, not 3 trains as the article suggests:

http://metrodemontreal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=252607#252607

Benoît Clairoux is one of the two interviewed in that Radio-Canada clip I posted the other day (along with Philippe Schnobb), so this is probably reliable.

It's too bad they aren't keeping 3 elements, since they could never run the train in service with only 3 cars.

Also I have to say that element 016 is a much better ride than 003. The suspension in 81-505 wasn't great (lots of shaking and squeaking), while 81-532 was very smooth.

4 hours ago, FelixINX said:

For tomorrow on the first and last time on the blue Line: Starts at Snowdon, AM from 6:40 to 9:40 and PM from 15:28 to 18:49.

What is your guess: 6 or 9 cars?

6 cars, confirmed STM Elements 001 and 003