TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

On 1/25/2020 at 9:11 AM, MK78 said:

Why do they keep power on to these retired streetcars? I saw a BUNCH of them with the lights on and poles up during the week. Does that not waste power?

6 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

If they need to move them around for any purpose it's easier than spending time and effort coupling up dead cars. I don't think they're drawing that much power sitting there idle.

For sure. The power consumption is a drop in the bucket compared to putting out the compliment of new cars that’s out at any given time, three subway lines, the Scarborough RT and all the buildings and structures that are powered up around the clock.  So yeah, it’s easier just to sit down at the controls and move cars as needed rather than couple dead cars to a donkey or put the pole up and cajole one that’s been off for a while in the middle of winter to start up and move around on its own.

So how much juice is it using?  Well, how about a science project?  Ok, ok, alright, I hear the groaning about how everyone was in the middle of a grand old foam fest session and I come along and ruin it with this BS about using tools and equipment to gather objective facts and data.  Anyways, one possible way to determine this would be to energize the substation at HCRR, measure current output to get a number on what’s drawn off the line with the 600 on because there should be a couple of things placing a slight load on it plus anything they’ve got direct wired on the line that draws as soon as the 600 V comes up. That’s overhead.  Electrical overhead, nothing to do with overhead wire. Next step, turn on one CLRV to the point where the subsystems are on at a quiescent state.  Take a second current measurement and subtract the first. You have the idle current draw of a sitting car.  It’ll fluctuate a bit as the air compressor cycles etc. but not a big deal unless there’s a leak and the duty cycle gets out of line.  Multiply by line voltage and now you’ve got the idle power draw of a sitting CLRV.  Multiply by by the number of idle cars in the yard at Russell by the number of hours of idle time by the average hydro rate to get a ballpark cost figure.  It’ll be small, a rounding error in the overall TTC operating budget.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 11:35 AM, DepthOfField said:

How many are left in the yard? 

Just left Russell Yard - 5 CLRVs on track #22, 6 CLRVs on track on track #21, 6 CLRVs on track #20 (CLRV #4178 was up front on track #20). A Flexity was alone on track #19 with its destination sign & lights off! All doors on the barn were closed so I couldn't see if any CLRVS were inside.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just left Russell Yard - 6 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20). No other visible CLRVs other than on the dead tracks. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed!

• Like 6

On 1/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, JWC said:

Just left Russell Yard - 6 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20). No other visible CLRVs other than on the dead tracks. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed!

Just left Russell Yard - 8 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20).

4 CLRVs parked outside close to the Barn. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JWC said:

Just left Russell Yard - 8 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20).

4 CLRVs parked outside close to the Barn. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed!

You missed the two cars on 7 track. The roofline of the two cars is visible from the street as they are parked behind a PCC

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Is it actually confirmed that 4081 is the historical car they're going with? Didn't Mike Filey write in the Sun that 4089 is the other one that they're keeping?

He did indeed, but 4081 appears to be the historical unit of choice now. Judging by where it's parked and all. Now what this means for 4089, I don't know. 

Just now, John Oke said:

A HR guy told me on the ALRV farewell trip in September said they’re planning on keeping 7 CLRV’s and 4207 he knew back then that 4204 was going to Halton

7 Cs? Well, the CEO's Report says only 2 CLRVs are not being disposed of. A lot of misinformation here. 

8 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

7 Cs? Well, the CEO's Report says only 2 CLRVs are not being disposed of. A lot of misinformation here. 

I have heard the same thing that TTC was keeping 7 C months ago. I expect some will be for parts.

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

I have heard the same thing that TTC was keeping 7 C months ago. I expect some will be for parts.

Perhaps "keeping" as in terms of "not junking"?

3 went to Halton, 1 to USA. Rumours of 4178 being preserved somewhere. 2 for TTC.

That's 7.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

Oh has that been confirmed? What's going where? And where is 4178 going (if anywhere)?

4001 and 4081 staying at TTC. 4003, 4010 and 4039 at Halton. 4034 at IRM. 4068 going to Seashore (also the US), and 4178 going to Halton

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

Oh has that been confirmed? What's going where? And where is 4178 going (if anywhere)?

4034 went to the IRM and 4068 to Seashore.

Stuart Green confirmed 4178 was going to Halton.

• Like 9

On 1/11/2020 at 10:34 AM, Robert Lubinski said:

The shedman sweeping the PCC later went to Greenwood Shops and worked on subway gearboxes, I was told he retired about five years ago or so!

ust left Russell Yard - 6 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20). No other visible CLRVs other than on the dead tracks. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed!

On 1/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, JWC said:

Feb 4 - Just left Russell Yard - 8 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20).

4 CLRVs parked outside close to the Barn. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed. 3 Flexities and no PCCs also.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JWC said:

Feb 4 - Just left Russell Yard - 8 CLRVs on track #19, - 6 CLRVs on track #20 (4178 up front on track #20).

4 CLRVs parked outside close to the Barn. Couldn't see if any CLRVs were inside the barn as the doors were closed. 3 Flexities and no PCCs also.

There’s no need for the daily updates if it’s gonna be the same thing you see every single day. Also, once again, 4001 and 4081 (I’m unsure of the order) are parked behind the PCC on 7 track

• Confused 1