TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

29 minutes ago, DepthOfField said:

I'm still amazed how such a small tow bar can push a 30 tonne vehicle. 

Did 4178 break down? I noticed around midday today there wasn’t any service East of Coxwell on the 506 due to “mechanical issues” and 4178 was sitting at Main station. I notice it’s in the carhouse at Russell now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

Did 4178 break down? I noticed around midday today there wasn’t any service East of Coxwell on the 506 due to “mechanical issues” and 4178 was sitting at Main station. I notice it’s in the carhouse at Russell now. 

It did indeed break down. Pushed by 4447 to Russell.

• Sad 5

59 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Why is there no service on the 511 right now? They said a mechanical problem, but on a streetcar or other things?

It appears that 4100 may have broken down and being pushed or pulled back to Russell by 4042. They’re heading eastbound at King/Sherbourne now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

It appears that 4100 may have broken down and being pushed or pulled back to Russell by 4042. They’re heading eastbound at King/Sherbourne now. 

Yep, I saw it this morning as it was approaching Russell, just at the Greenwood lights. It was followed by a pusher truck.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

The front section of 4230 has been loaded onto a truck at this very moment. No sign of 4249, it must've already left. 4221 is peeking out from behind the rear section.

4230’s ‘A’ section left Russell. It was took a right at Coxwell, and then another right at Lakeshore Blvd... possibly to head up the DVP?

A0AFF8D7-46C0-4BF9-9AA3-0D1AAD841B60.jpeg

A064A380-0F27-4A26-8360-27B179EA6D53.jpeg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 7

4230's "B" section departed westbound on Queen towards Greenwood (and presumably onwards) at 13:39 this afternoon. I (obviously) left several hours ago but I overheard the workers shouting to each other that they would see each other tomorrow, so the evidence is good that 4221 and 4228 will follow their sisters in the first half of tomorrow. And then who knows what will become of 4207? Hopefully she won't make this same journey...

Attaching some pics from today.

jmwQFak.jpg

zi6ZY46.jpg

CBwwVEZ.jpg

6ruUBRX.jpg

WgEjTu2.jpg

bVAoOrh.jpg

grciQTZ.jpg

WoKD5VE.jpg

heq3TP5.jpg

KQAAHcC.jpg

• Like 9
  • Sad 6

84D6B413-C24B-431F-A823-0F9B4D45B648.thumb.jpeg.adfcd995ac474f25fcaaf465f251faeb.jpeg

248671FA-4D35-4FB6-86BA-750CE489E314.thumb.jpeg.276a4d06f7681320ed188b4239f843dc.jpeg

5EF8BB7B-270B-452C-B220-E138AEDD7AC7.thumb.jpeg.e584efcbe55895c2bad65a76230521db.jpeg

Here’s a few pics of cars that have been mentioned lately. 4119 at Main Station in mid-September 2019 and 4086 at Yonge/Carlton in early-October 2019. 4119 was removed from TTC property yesterday and 4086 tracks in the carhouse at Russell although hasn’t run in nearly a month and is almost certainly done. 

The final image is of 4221 when I managed to get a ride on it during its brief return to service in May 2019. I remember taking it from Jameson to Yonge and getting off to snap this picture at Victoria. When I was on it I remember it playing an old pre-recorded message about an upcoming subway closure the following weekend that didn’t exist as it was likely recorded many months prior and not removed. This was my first ALRV ride since January and my last until their retirement day on Labour Day. 

• Like 11

The ALRVs were lemons and have always been troublesome to deal with. At some point they figured it was easier to call it quits then to keep investing time in such bothersome vehicles.

Does anyone know if the TTC ever considered a replacement of the control systems in the ALRV? IGBT thyristors were all the rage in the streetcar world back in the 2000s when the cars were reaching the midpoint of their lives.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

The ALRVs were lemons and have always been troublesome to deal with. At some point they figured it was easier to call it quits then to keep investing time in such bothersome vehicles.

Does anyone know if the TTC ever considered a replacement of the control systems in the ALRV? IGBT thyristors were all the rage in the streetcar world back in the 2000s when the cars were reaching the midpoint of their lives.

They also had the same motors as the H6. Surprise surprise.

the CLRVs and H5s had Garrett motors and choppers

The ALRVs and H6s had Brush choppers and motors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

They also had the same motors as the H6. Surprise surprise.

the CLRVs and H5s had Garrett motors and choppers

The ALRVs and H6s had Brush choppers and motors.

So in summary 80s technology sucked compared to 70s technology. lol

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Uh oh.  It looks like there’s some confusion about the semiconductors.

IGBTs and Thyristors are two different things.

Thyristors are a diode class type of device that have a third terminal called the gate in addition to the cathode and anode that lets you control when it turns on and starts conducting.  Basic as can be, they’re either fully on or fully off and can’t even turn themselves off. You need an external commutation circuit to force them off in a DC environment.  For the ability to turn themselves off, you need to move up to Gate Turn Off (GTO) Thyristors. The name Thyristor is derived from the name of thyratron tubes which worked exactly the same way.  If you ever get a chance to see thyratrons working, it’s quite beautiful how they glow when they fire because they’re a gas filled tube and the whole visual let’s you get a better idea of what’s going on in the solid state thyristor counterpart.

IGBT.  Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors.  These are kind of a hybrid of a field effect transistor with a gate that’s purely voltage controlled but operating a bipolar type PN junction so you end up with an easy to drive device that also has the collected-emitter characteristics of a BJT transistor especially at saturation which is important in switch mode applications like motor control, i.e. choppers.  They’re fully controllable from the gate lead too so no need for an outboard commutation circuit to stop conduction and IGBTs actually do have an active/ohmic region but they’re typically never used that way, it’s always switch mode alternating between saturation or cutoff with duty cycle control for choppers for maximum efficiency.  Thyristors don’t have that at all.

That’s the very brief, 5 AM coles notes summary.  Things like “extra heavy diodes” and “diode protection diodes” are strictly foamer fantasy BS creations.

The ALRVs have always been basketcases.  The TTC and I think it was Siemens began work prototyping a CLRV rebuild since they were older and coming due sooner but aborted that partway through so by the time it would’ve been reasonable to think about doing that on the ALRV cars, the TTC has already moved past the idea of a heavy overhaul and made the decision to go with new cars only so the whole idea of a major gut and replace rebuild job on the ALRVs never really came up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8