TTC Orion VII Diesel & Hybrid Rebuild Tracking

3 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I am sorry as I am a newer member.

The information I got this from is a friend of mine who managed to get into hillcrest after talking to a employ who we met at the 2015 hillcrest open house. I am still surprised that they are being rebuilt at the moment.

You do not have to belive me if you don't want to, but my source has asked me to post this information.

I will take your advice in the future

Thanks, Matthew TTC 4120 

EDIT: my source says that not all will be rebuilt. Possibly around 50

If you want to talk to my friend, he will be joining later in the night hopefully

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

-made me do a double take too.

Unfortunately not at the moment, no. I’ll have to get back to you all on that.

Also, even if some are there getting done, don’t assume they’re ALL getting cycled through.

Um I thought the 2017-26 fleet plan I read on Steve Munro's blog calls for the retirement of the #1500-#1689 series beginning next year to 2021. Could @Xtrazsteve clarify and explain this? This could change at anytime. 

3 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I am sorry as I am a newer member.

The information I got this from is a friend of mine who managed to get into hillcrest after talking to a employ who we met at the 2015 hillcrest open house. I am still surprised that they are being rebuilt at the moment.

You do not have to belive me if you don't want to, but my source has asked me to post this information.

I will take your advice in the future

Thanks, Matthew TTC 4120 

EDIT: my source says that not all will be rebuilt. Possibly around 50

If you want to talk to my friend, he will be joining later in the night hopefully

Hi Matthew. Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your post. 

18 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

Um I thought the 2017-26 fleet plan I read on Steve Munro's blog calls for the retirement of the #1500-#1689 series beginning next year to 2021. Could @Xtrazsteve clarify and explain this? This could change at anytime.

The fleet plan changed. With the TransformTO initiative looking to move towards more environmentally-friendly transit, the TTC board at their last meeting decided to purchase second-generation hybrids and retire the older diesel buses, along with the battery electric bus trial. The fleet plan was shifted to accommodate sooner retirement of diesel buses and keep the more environmentally-friendly hybrids around longer. Considering that the 15xx series of hybrids has now been spotted undergoing rebuild, they are clearly no longer being retired.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Could you confirm that what he's saying is true, that the 1500s and 1600s are being rebuilt?

I recently spoke to a couple of co-workers who work at Duncan in the rebuild section. They mentioned that only the 15-16xx buses which have had recent engine replacements are being rebuilt at this time. This could change at a moments notice though. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Hey guys I went by hillcrest 1215 is finished rebuilt. also 1603 1608 1626 1672 1633 1641 not in for rebuild after all just small body work. 1676, 8109  rebuilt in the new livery with 8195. 1579 was being prepared for paint. 

1215 was already on the list, last time I checked. 

2 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

1215 was already on the list, last time I checked. 

oh okay and no problem.

35 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

EDIT: On second thought, admins please keep this post.

Anyways, I checked the list, and all currently active 1200-1423 VIIs are now rebuilt.

Last I heard, they were wrapping up 12xx-14xx rebuilds, and they are starting to do some of the 15xx-16xx units as of now. They already did five or six.

The TTC is supposed to rebuild 50 of the 15 and 16 series I got the info from a TTC worker at hillcrest today

23 hours ago, Antarctica said:

Why would you even be surprised? TTC changes it's plans every 3 months. That's what the plan was last year. Every year, they put a different plan out. Voila, TTC's recommending hybrids again. 

These 1500/1600s might be rebuilt in place of buses in other batches that didn't get rebuilt.

15 minutes ago, Rami A. said:

Lol, it says 8147 on the bumper. That one is rebuilt also.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the rear bumper is attached to the engine and not the body of the bus. The number written on the rear bumper corresponds to the bus that engine was originally installed in.

With the amount of rebuilds underway, the TTC works on multiple buses at once. Once a fully refurbished engine is ready, they will insert it into whatever refurbished chassis/body is available. No use in having a perfectly good engine sitting for a month waiting for body work to be done on the bus it came out of, when there is another completed body sitting waiting for its original engine to get refurbished.

One of Malvern's 1500-1600 series hybrids has also been rebuilt and repainted to the new livery. Can't remember which one it is, but if it is relevant to anyone who might want to identify the vehicle, it was heading northbound on McCowan north of Middlefield shortly after 7:40 this morning.

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

One of Malvern's 1500-1600 series hybrids has also been rebuilt and repainted to the new livery. Can't remember which one it is, but if it is relevant to anyone who might want to identify the vehicle, it was heading northbound on McCowan north of Middlefield shortly after 7:40 this morning.

It was 1657.