Rob Ford's Transportation Plan

vivablue5215

No no, Rommel was a decent strategist and had the limeys on the run in the desert for a while....

I'd sooner say Goebbels... propaganda and public enlightenment... which is as far from the truth as you can get! Bingo!

yeah......But he wasn't fat.

Maybe sergeant Shultz? :P

• 4 weeks later...

Some guy, who claims is from Toronto, decided to make this comment, on this article, comparing of riders the amount a bus and a streetcar can hold:

"Streetcars carry more people than buses in techniclour NDP-speech only. Buses would carry a similiar number AND more importantly there will be less behind the scenese labour and infrastructure costs. How many guys (Streetcar Ops paid OT) do you every morning standing at a corner with a hunk of metal in their hands switching tracks?? (most of the time they have their personal vehicle parked illegaly ON the sidewwalk while they are earning 35-40 bucks an hour)."

Fucking amazing.

Some guy, who claims is from Toronto, decided to make this comment, on this article, comparing of riders the amount a bus and a streetcar can hold:

"Streetcars carry more people than buses in techniclour NDP-speech only. Buses would carry a similiar number AND more importantly there will be less behind the scenese labour and infrastructure costs. How many guys (Streetcar Ops paid OT) do you every morning standing at a corner with a hunk of metal in their hands switching tracks?? (most of the time they have their personal vehicle parked illegaly ON the sidewwalk while they are earning 35-40 bucks an hour)."

Fucking amazing.

The person who posted that has been trolling the various newspaper comment sections for years.

Fucking amazing.

Ah. You have met Darren in TO. He has written far more outrageous crap in the past. Like the above poster said, he has been trolling the comment sections for years, preaching as if he is an expert on transit. He actually believes Toronto could have a massive subway network if the city stopped building "huge" stations.

Ah. You have met Darren in TO. He has written far more outrageous crap in the past. Like the above poster said, he has been trolling the comment sections for years, preaching as if he is an expert on transit. He actually believes Toronto could have a massive subway network if the city stopped building "huge" stations.

If Rob Ford Doesn't win and the Eglinton Crosstown/Etobicoke LRT is done, he should feel dumb when comparing rush hour on the 32+34/36 and the 53x against the 536 on pre LRT and after LRT. But with life's wonder, Darren will preach on how you could have subways around the corner, or a "pathetic" streetcar system that "fails" with operators "smoking and taking unexpected layovers" on the job.

Darren is a hoot.

Another quality quote(I won't post anymore after this)

"we wouldnt need the yards because streetcars will be scrapped in favour of buses. Yes we will need more bus barns, but nothing the size of Ashbridges.

You are wrong about the cost savings. Take your head out of that Metro, turn off your Iphone, and look around you the next time you ride a streetcar. Look at all the EXTRA labour involved in its operation"

The TTC should cancel the Ashbridge bay faciltiy because Toronto is going to replace it's streetcars with buses.

Darren also is admin of the Facebook Group "All Things TTC'. This guy is an absolute piece of work. I don't believe that he has a real job, because "Darren in TO" post comments all day long on the Star, the SDun, the Globe and Mail, the National Post, The CBC, etc. website comments sections. He loves to slam unionized TTC workers for wasting taxpayer dollars, but if you look at the times of his posts, he must be wasting his employer's time by spending all his time posting comments - I guess that he is a thief like all those that he slams.

Darren also is admin of the Facebook Group "All Things TTC'. This guy is an absolute piece of work. I don't believe that he has a real job, because "Darren in TO" post comments all day long on the Star, the SDun, the Globe and Mail, the National Post, The CBC, etc. website comments sections. He loves to slam unionized TTC workers for wasting taxpayer dollars, but if you look at the times of his posts, he must be wasting his employer's time by spending all his time posting comments - I guess that he is a thief like all those that he slams.

i hate those discussion sections, it doesnt mater what the topic is. theres people who nothing better to than rag on whatever the topic is,

Given that Rob Ford was elected mayor, how much of his transit platform do you think he'll accomplish? Will he build those subways? Will he be able to do away with streetcars? Will the TTC become a much worse systems by his 4 years are up?

Given that Rob Ford was elected mayor, how much of his transit platform do you think he'll accomplish? Will he build those subways? Will he be able to do away with streetcars? Will the TTC become a much worse systems by his 4 years are up?

He'll try, but I think we'll likely be left with what we have now in 4 years time, no more no less. He'll probably cancel Transit City, cancel Presto, try to kill the streetcars but won't get it through, and try to get more subways built but will back off when he sees the costs.

That's the thing.

I'm not sure how much influence he really has over that since the majority of the capital expenditure projects are overseen by Metrolinx now.

(thank god)

Kinda takes city hall out of the equasion.

Be prepared for a long, long, hard and bitter fight when the ATU's contract comes up for renewal, though.

They might as well go straight to arbitration right from the start 'cause that's where it'll end up.

I for one won't be taking it lying down.

I hope his plan for public transit does not come to light.

If there is anything that needs to be said, it's this: Remember, Ford only has ONE VOTE in city council. He is not the God of Toronto.

If there is anything that needs to be said, it's this: Remember, Ford only has ONE VOTE in city council. He is not the God of Toronto.

That's not entirely true anymore.

The Mayor hand-picks the executive council. And any motions passed by the executive council need a two-thirds majority by the whole of council to get overturned.

As has already been pointed out, much of the transit infrastructure currently in the works is out of the financial hands of the City, and so there is very little that the City can do to stop it.

Dan

That's not entirely true anymore.

The Mayor hand-picks the executive council. And any motions passed by the executive council need a two-thirds majority by the whole of council to get overturned.

As has already been pointed out, much of the transit infrastructure currently in the works is out of the financial hands of the City, and so there is very little that the City can do to stop it.

Dan

Good point I keep telling everyone that they are all Metrolinx funded and owned projects

Yeah, at least that's something to be thankful for. Trust me, we DO NEED some sort of rapid transit along Eglinton! St. Clair ROW or no St. Clair ROW.

Good point I keep telling everyone that they are all Metrolinx funded and owned projects

Never underestimate the effects of a party desperate to stay in power. :S

Oh, please. McGuinty is simply saying he's prepared to listen. That's his job, particularly given that Ford - like it or not - has a mandate from the public. In no way is McGuinty saying that he's giving in. This is just the diplomatic niceties of being prepared to listen.

True, but remember that little generating station in Oakville that was in the news lately. Simply put, I'm not going to relax until he tells Ford that Metrolinx will not make any major changes to Transit City.

Of course. I'm not saying it won't happen, but there's no sign of that yet.

Now, *can* the province force the lines on Toronto if Ford has Council on his side on this? Perhaps not, but they could make it clear that cancelling the lines will NOT result in the monies going to Toronto for another project. My guess - they make it clear that the monies will go to 905 municipalities for their not-yet-funded projects. What they lose in Toronto, they would gain in the 905.

I's a safe bet that ford can yell and scream for subways all he wants, but the money just ain't there. That's a mathematical fact. It's transit city or nothing.

Unless he can drag Harper by the ear to cave in, and he's got other things on his plate.

What really worries me is if he tries to do it through "public-private partnership"

*shudders* :lol: