Rob Ford's Transportation Plan

vivablue5215

I's a safe bet that ford can yell and scream for subways all he wants, but the money just ain't there. That's a mathematical fact. It's transit city or nothing.

Unless he can drag Harper by the ear to cave in, and he's got other things on his plate.

What really worries me is if he tries to do it through "public-private partnership"

*shudders* :lol:

Then God help all the Torontonians who didn't vote for Ford and those who realize anything that has to do with the words "private" and "public transit" put together.

Then God help all the Torontonians who didn't vote for Ford and those who realize anything that has to do with the words "private" and "public transit" put together.

-just happened in Vancouver, now SNC Lavalin has an iron clad contract to staff and maintain the airport line for the next 40 years.

Once you let the cows out of the pen, you'll never get them back.

I don't think TTC will be privatize in any way. Maybe out source cleaning, snowplowing, and what not, but not the actual operation of running buses, subway, etc, like YRT.

I know for sure George brought that up.

What exactly did Ford say about public-private partnership, and the operation of TTC?

At least Rob Ford is being a leader and standing up for subways. If it was really that bad, I don't think Vaughn would be getting any.

What exactly did Ford say about public-private partnership, and the operation of TTC?

At least Rob Ford is being a leader and standing up for subways. If it was really that bad, I don't think Vaughn would be getting any.

I don't know, you tell me. Check the post I was quoting.

His beloved subway idea, at this stage, is unrealistic. Sheppard shouldn't have been a subway in the first place. It would have been much better off as an LRT line. Look at the Sheppard line, it uses 4 cars compared to the other two subway lines.

I don't know, you tell me. Check the post I was quoting.

His beloved subway idea, at this stage, is unrealistic. Sheppard shouldn't have been a subway in the first place. It would have been much better off as an LRT line. Look at the Sheppard line, it uses 4 cars compared to the other two subway lines.

B-D used 4 cars when it started. And if it's already built then why build an LRT, Don Mills will be just like kennedy station today, useless transfer. Build for the future, not yesterday. Even England built subways to nowhere, look at it now.

He won't privatize the TTC. He even said he will work with the Union and went as for as saying he wants to make it an essential service. The only thing he said iirc, was that he'll get private busisness to help pay for the subway. But not to actually operate it.

B-D used 4 cars when it started. And if it's already built then why build an LRT, Don Mills will be just like kennedy station today, useless transfer. Build for the future, not yesterday. Even England built subways to nowhere, look at it now.

That was back then. What about now? Do I think Sheppard line ever get the amount of ridership to get 6 car trains? You're damn right I don't. How much will it cost to extend the platforms when it is needed?

That was back then. What about now? Do I think Sheppard line ever get the amount of ridership to get 6 car trains? You're damn right I don't. How much will it cost to extend the platforms when it is needed?

It can hold 6 cars, they just have to take the wall down. Thats what I heard any ways. And not all subways have to be 6 cars. If it's really that bad tell TTC to replce it with an LRT now?

It can hold 6 cars, they just have to take the wall down. Thats what I heard any ways. And not all subways have to be 6 cars. If it's really that bad tell TTC to replce it with an LRT now?

That's what you've heard. But have you actually seen it? :lol:

Unless someone else would like to prove me wrong, this is my stance on that issue.

What's done is done. I do not believe Sheppard should have been a subway in any way, shape or form. It should have been an LRT line. But can we change that portion of subway to LRT from Yonge to Don Mills? Not anymore.

I don't think TTC will be privatize in any way. Maybe out source cleaning, snowplowing, and what not, but not the actual operation of running buses, subway, etc, like YRT.

Once he starts, why would he stop there? He already wants to outsource the garbage collection process.

If he thinks he can get away with that, the TTC will just be another notch in his belt.

Most of the snow removal on TTC property is contracted out already, btw.

He won't privatize the TTC. He even said he will work with the Union and went as for as saying he wants to make it an essential service. The only thing he said iirc, was that he'll get private busisness to help pay for the subway. But not to actually operate it.

Prove it.

What's in it for the private consortium if they can't run it? You really think SNC Lavalin was just gonna lay out all that cash just for the small potatoes profit of building the blue-22?

Bullshit!

Didn't you see how quickly they turned and ran after metrolinx told them they'd operate it themselves?

Being declared an essential service will completely fuck us over as it takes months longer for binding arbitration to come up with a collective bargiaing agreement, and

we'll have no recourse but to accept it once it's presented. Ask any paramedic of firefighter and they'll tell you it sucks big donkey co*k.

It would also markedly add to the payroll expense (something I thought he promised to stop???) as we'll be required to be compensated extra for being classified as

such.

When I meant by "have you actually seen it", I meant at all the stations. Not just one.

I can tell you, having seen all of the stations as a summer student, that all of the platform extensions exist and are non-public areas. They just have to relocate some utilities and knock down a wall or two at platform level.

I can tell you, having seen all of the stations as a summer student, that all of the platform extensions exist and are non-public areas. They just have to relocate some utilities and knock down a wall or two at platform level.

Fair enough.

Once he starts, why would he stop there? He already wants to outsource the garbage collection process.

If he thinks he can get away with that, the TTC will just be another notch in his belt.

Most of the snow removal on TTC property is contracted out already, btw.

Prove it.

What's in it for the private consortium if they can't run it? You really think SNC Lavalin was just gonna lay out all that cash just for the small potatoes profit of building the blue-22?

Bullshit!

Didn't you see how quickly they turned and ran after metrolinx told them they'd operate it themselves?

Being declared an essential service will completely fuck us over as it takes months longer for binding arbitration to come up with a collective bargiaing agreement, and

we'll have no recourse but to accept it once it's presented. Ask any paramedic of firefighter and they'll tell you it sucks big donkey co*k.

It would also markedly add to the payroll expense (something I thought he promised to stop???) as we'll be required to be compensated extra for being classified as

such.

Nothing to prove, I just put it out there. I thought making it essential would be good way of ensuring people get to where they need to go. I guess I'm wrong. Extra cost and whatnot.

Does this include Leslie Station? I always thought that Leslie's platform extension was the long walkway at the east end of the platform leading to the Leslie St exit. Sorry for going off topic BTW.

-just happened in Vancouver, now SNC Lavalin has an iron clad contract to staff and maintain the airport line for the next 40 years.

Once you let the cows out of the pen, you'll never get them back.

PPP is evil. The best example that exists is the Canada Line indeed, what a piece. And if not, check out the suburban transit operations here (MTL) done by Veolia, Transdev, La Quebecoise, and Groupe Orleans. Stingy money grubbers that care more about their bottom line rather than convenience. You should have seen the ol jalopies Veolia was running in St Bruno until the RTL took back the service in April 2009.

I was thinking that, as I was exploring (public areas only) Shepperd Station last weekend, as I was trying to figure out my way from the buses to the bloor line, with the one elevator being out of order, its a long walk for those who need to do the transfer, (I certainly wish there was benches along the way) I noticed that the wall along the unused platform is a long, long hallway to the elevator that goes up to the little concourse (crossover) for shepperd ave.

Nothing to prove, I just put it out there. I thought making it essential would be good way of ensuring people get to where they need to go. I guess I'm wrong. Extra cost and whatnot.

look no farther than Veolia, that runs VIVA, the strike was basically a waste, as the drivers got basically the same contract they were originally offered, as Veolia wouldent budge.

PPP is evil. The best example that exists is the Canada Line indeed, what a piece. And if not, check out the suburban transit operations here (MTL) done by Veolia, Transdev, La Quebecoise, and Groupe Orleans. Stingy money grubbers that care more about their bottom line rather than convenience. You should have seen the ol jalopies Veolia was running in St Bruno until the RTL took back the service in April 2009.

Yep, same as with VIVA, its a PPP, I think, its a service that should be public owned, as I dont like the way Veolia treats their drivers, also customer service there is a friggin joke!

I was thinking that, as I was exploring (public areas only) Shepperd Station last weekend, as I was trying to figure out my way from the buses to the bloor line, with the one elevator being out of order, its a long walk for those who need to do the transfer, (I certainly wish there was benches along the way) I noticed that the wall along the unused platform is a long, long hallway to the elevator that goes up to the little concourse (crossover) for shepperd ave.

You won't be able to figure out your way from the buses to the Bloor Line without riding the Yonge Line first. :P

Yep, same as with VIVA, its a PPP, I think, its a service that should be public owned, as I dont like the way Veolia treats their drivers, also customer service there is a friggin joke!

Agreed.

Funny, the odd one out in terms of PPP customer service is Miller.

Does this include Leslie Station? I always thought that Leslie's platform extension was the long walkway at the east end of the platform leading to the Leslie St exit. Sorry for going off topic BTW.

Derp on my part, you are correct. :P

Apparently the streetcars are safe. According to Breakfast Television this morning Rob Ford said he has no plans on getting rid of the streetcars, and that this was just a rumour propagated by his opponents.

So I guess HIS transportation platform on HIS website was written by his opponents then. Can't wait to see what else he lied about. I hope his entire platform was propagated by his opponents because I agree with almost none of it.

Apparently the streetcars are safe. According to Breakfast Television this morning Rob Ford said he has no plans on getting rid of the streetcars, and that this was just a rumour propagated by his opponents.

So I guess HIS transportation platform on HIS website was written by his opponents then. Can't wait to see what else he lied about. I hope his entire platform was propagated by his opponents because I agree with almost none of it.

IIRC, he also has a YouTube video of him, monotonously, announcing what his transit plan contains.