Rob Ford's Transportation Plan

vivablue5215

He as to raise tax somehow to pay for subways. This isn't good enough don't get me wrong, but at least a bit of realty is getting to his head. I respect that he is ambitious for subways, just be smart about. I don't mind paying more, as long as it goes to subways, even that is a long shot. I wonder how the Spadina line extention was funded?

What exactly is the province waiting for, I thought TC was already voted for.

So, is that how you Ford backers rationalize his poorly thought out "plans"? By saying that he's finally gotten a bit of reality? Because I could have sworn that you - and some other members here - said before that you wanted to vote for him because he was "smart with money". He's certainly showed thus far that he's not. Very far from it.

And by the way - the Province can't move forward on TC yet because City Council still needs to get the report back from the working group on the future of transit on Sheppard, be it subway, LRT or other. And considering that Ford just set back transit in the City by at least a year, what in the hell is the rush?

Dan

So, is that how you Ford backers rationalize his poorly thought out "plans"? By saying that he's finally gotten a bit of reality? Because I could have sworn that you - and some other members here - said before that you wanted to vote for him because he was "smart with money". He's certainly showed thus far that he's not. Very far from it.

And by the way - the Province can't move forward on TC yet because City Council still needs to get the report back from the working group on the future of transit on Sheppard, be it subway, LRT or other. And considering that Ford just set back transit in the City by at least a year, what in the hell is the rush?

Dan

He has resistance from other councilors. Dalton agreed with his plan everything was going smooth. If he had the vote earlier we wouldn't be having this mess.

Federally (697 million), provincially (870 million) and locally through the city of Toronto (526 million) and York region(352 million).

Thanks. There is no way this type of funding is going to happen again. I know YRT wants to extend the Yonge line, I woner if they will get resistance or funding. They might have to switch it to LRT because its cheaper.

He has resistance from other councilors. Dalton agreed with his plan everything was going smooth. If he had the vote earlier we wouldn't be having this mess.

And if he didn't overstep his boundaries and go directly to the Premier and unilaterally declare Transit City "dead" without getting a declaration from Council, than we might actually be looking forward to the opening of the first enhanced transit line in a year or two. And frankly, if he wasn't smart enough to take the agreement to the other councillors when he had a chance of getting it approved by Council as a whole last year, than whose fault is that but his own?

Let me repeat that so it is clear - he was in no legal position to do what he did.

But then again, Metrolinx is at least partially complicit in this as well, even if it is after the fact. They were in absolutely no position to issue stop-work orders without the agreement being signed by Council, and yet they did anyways.

Thanks. There is no way this type of funding is going to happen again. I know YRT wants to extend the Yonge line, I woner if they will get resistance or funding. They might have to switch it to LRT because its cheaper.

Don't be so sure about that. Remember that Metrolinx is working on a funding strategy. It will be very interesting to see what they say.

And if he didn't overstep his boundaries and go directly to the Premier and unilaterally declare Transit City "dead" without getting a declaration from Council, than we might actually be looking forward to the opening of the first enhanced transit line in a year or two. And frankly, if he wasn't smart enough to take the agreement to the other councillors when he had a chance of getting it approved by Council as a whole last year, than whose fault is that but his own?

Let me repeat that so it is clear - he was in no legal position to do what he did.

But then again, Metrolinx is at least partially complicit in this as well, even if it is after the fact. They were in absolutely no position to issue stop-work orders without the agreement being signed by Council, and yet they did anyways.

Don't be so sure about that. Remember that Metrolinx is working on a funding strategy. It will be very interesting to see what they say.

As you said, and I agree, both Dalton and Ford had no legal position to do what they did. I said in another thread, Ford flopped on this one, he should have brought this to council a year ago when he was still riding high.

As you said, and I agree, both Dalton and Ford had no legal position to do what they did. I said in another thread, Ford flopped on this one, he should have brought this to council a year ago when he was still riding high.

Funny thing about that.....all McGuinty did was sign a non-binding agreement with Ford, and Ford still had to get the approval of Council before it became legit. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the Premier who signed the stop-work orders either....

So while the Premier isn't entirely in the clear on this, he is nowhere near to being as much at fault in this as Ford.

Dan

Agreed, those days are over for him, he missed his chance(on the entire transit file) and he'll be lucky to get any of his agenda passed from now own. Can anyone say lame duck? Course, that does'nt mean he still won't try to ram it through with his me only attitude and "bull in a china shop" mentality.

Agreed, those days are over for him, he missed his chance(on the entire transit file) and he'll be lucky to get any of his agenda passed from now own. Can anyone say lame duck? Course, that does'nt mean he still won't try to ram it through with his me only attitude and "bull in a china shop" mentality.

More like "bovine in a china shop"

I hope that Andy Byford becomes General Manager, I think he represents the TTC well, but I hope he has guts.

More like "bovine in a china shop"

I hope that Andy Byford becomes General Manager, I think he represents the TTC well, but I hope he has guts.

So far I'm impressed with Andy Byford. He did a great job at the press conference about the Dupont shooting. My jaw dropped when he started speaking french, never saw that one coming. Well prepared, knowledgeable, professional. Brad Ross could learn a thing or two from him.

So far I'm impressed with Andy Byford. He did a great job at the press conference about the Dupont shooting. My jaw dropped when he started speaking french, never saw that one coming. Well prepared, knowledgeable, professional. Brad Ross could learn a thing or two from him.

I know I had that same jaw drop reaction. Reporter and him, and no real stumbling just a steady conversation.

And hear this, this is him again, amazing http://www.radio-can...0223_143853.asx

The article with the interview http://www.radio-can...to-byford.shtml

French, German, English he has chops so I guess he could go to meetings in Europe and represent, bravo Andy Byford.

Yeah, unamious support from millionaire developers who told him exactly what he wanted to hear.

He wasn't listening to their caveat though. Sure they all want subways, they just aren't willing to pay for them. They're afraid the additional development charges (which get passed on to the purchaser) will drive away potential buyers. At what point do they feel that having a subway station along the street is TOO MUCH of a premium?

To make matters worse...

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1143438--ttc-subway-study-ran-out-of-money-gordon-chong-and-consultants-still-owed-more-than-100-000?bn=1

So let me get this straight...The Mayor creatively resurrected a dormant account to use it to pay for a consulting project he didn't have approval for. Isn't that a case for misuse of city funds? Isn't that a case for dismissal? And now Gordon isn't even going to be paid out for his out of pocket expenses?

To make matters worse...

http://www.thestar.c...an-100-000?bn=1

So let me get this straight...The Mayor creatively resurrected a dormant account to use it to pay for a consulting project he didn't have approval for. Isn't that a case for misuse of city funds? Isn't that a case for dismissal? And now Gordon isn't even going to be paid out for his out of pocket expenses?

What I can't figure out is why didn't Ford find more money for the study when the funds ran out? I mean, if he cares so much about subways, there was more than enough money in the budget to complete the study. Of course, I'm assuming that he actually cares about building subways rather than only caring about the votes he can get from empty promises.

What I can't figure out is why didn't Ford find more money for the study when the funds ran out? I mean, if he cares so much about subways, there was more than enough money in the budget to complete the study. Of course, I'm assuming that he actually cares about building subways rather than only caring about the votes he can get from empty promises.

The fund that the mayor used to initially fund the study was pre-existing money, or "gravy". Taxpayers wern't saddled with the cost for producing the report at first because they had already invested the money which was sitting, being unused. Since this money had already been set aside by a previous administration, Ford didn't need to bring the vote to council to approve funding to study a Sheppard subway.

As to why he didn't ask Council to extend additional funding to cover the shortfall, it's simple - look at how the recent transit debates at City Hall have fared. A loss for the Mayor and his subways-or-bust approach. Council likely would not have approved additional funding for a report they never authorized in the first place, so Ford just swept it under the carpet. Exposing the issue at council and seeing them deny the request would send a clear message to taxpayers that the $120,000 already spent was just completely wasted on a half-finished report.

Council likely would not have approved additional funding for a report they never authorized in the first place, so Ford just swept it under the carpet.

Actually, any experienced politician would have been able to get the money simply by using the aproval of the funds needed to complete the study as the tradeoff for reducing/eliminating the library cuts. That's what I meant by my comment about there being more than enough money in the budget to complete the study. Unfortunately though, Ford doesn't seem to be an experienced politician and he keeps wanting to ice skate uphill.

Mayor Ford has been claiming that we need only get shovels into the ground and the support to extend the Sheppard Line eastward into Scarborough will come. The shovels first hit the ground in the mid-90's, while the line itself has been up and running for nearly a decade. Where was the support to incrementally extend the line during all that time?

Also somewhat puzzling is that Ford has seemingly turned his back on getting a subway for Etobicoke. If one ignores the ends of the Bloor-Danforth line which poke into both former cities. Is he trying to foment dissension between downtown and the suburbs while also pitting one suburb against another? If this spirals out of control I'd hate to see the end result. We've already got a barely cohesive Council (though let's hope they get their act together quickly) as it is. Throw in some protracted labour problems and add a scandal or two and it'll be all downhill.