Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

Nabinut

2020-2021 XDE40s will now be numbered 3100-3159 (subject to change).

Also got word that 6069, 8400 & 9138 are being sent back to boston from seashore for the MBTA's budding historical fleet (Presently includes an 1957 Old Look tdh4512 and 1995 Nova 0309, both fully restored and operational).

For those who may not know, 6069 is a 1966 bowl tdh5303, 8400 is the T's first RTS, a 1985 T8W604, and 9138 is a 1982 Flyer D901

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Moving a discussion about battery buses compared to trolleybuses that started over in the Dayton RTA thread. Here is a recent report on the performance of the 5 BEBs so far. The summary on the first page says that "the technology is not yet mature enough to support full bus service operation".  A number of familiar problems are brought out in the slides such as:

- limited range

- limited service hours

- excessive charging downtime

- cold weather reduces range even further

- need for 30% larger fleet

https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/2020-09/2020-09-14-fmcb-L-bus-electrification-accessible.pdf

While it is no doubt worthwhile continuing to trial battery buses, it doesn't seem to make sense to go all-out for them at the moment until their performance improves.

Meanwhile there are urbanists in Boston such as the Transit Matters group who question the MBTA's policy  of ignoring the recent development of battery-trolleybuses, which use in motion charging off the wires.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ets1060-DSC09878-03-01-2021.thumb.jpg.5dcd72f4fe9ce09e7b13dd4374ff89ed.jpgDSC09878.thumb.jpg.bae5a415651633adc16f69deaa08a684.jpg
This is perhaps a long shot. Edmonton's has an SD160 in a Uber Eats wrap with what appears to be a MBTA logo on a door. 

Anyone know if a similar wrap has shown up on the MBTA?! Again, I figure it's a long shot, I've Googled with no luck, but, I did confirm that Uber Eats operates in Boston so there is at least a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 1:14 AM, Orion6025 said:

2020-2021 XDE40s will now be numbered 3100-3159 (subject to change).

Also got word that 6069, 8400 & 9138 are being sent back to boston from seashore for the MBTA's budding historical fleet (Presently includes an 1957 Old Look tdh4512 and 1995 Nova 0309, both fully restored and operational).

For those who may not know, 6069 is a 1966 bowl tdh5303, 8400 is the T's first RTS, a 1985 T8W604, and 9138 is a 1982 Flyer D901

What happened to Seashore Trolley Museum? Did the museum shut down due to lockdowns from Covid-19? 

• 9 months later...
On 12/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, Orion6025 said:

On 12/14/2020 at 9:42 PM, doglover44 said:

Do they stiil run trolleys ?

Though the days are numbered for the ones that run on rte 73 (Found this tweet ) 

http://belmontonian.com/news/goodbye-trolleys-mbta-prepares-for-rechargeable-buses-on-73-line-by-2024-with-2-yrs-of-diesel-vehicles-starting-in-march/

• Sad 2

On 1/27/2022 at 1:42 AM, Oc4526 said:

That sucks, how many transit agencies are still using trolleys in the US?

24 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Kings County Metro, SF Muni, Septa, Technically TTC (If you want to count North America as a whole)...Not sure who else besides these guys...

Toronto TTC no longer has Trolleys (unless you’re thinking of the Streetcars)  

Vancouver Bc still has a Trolley network. 

On 1/27/2022 at 1:42 AM, Oc4526 said:

Something about this tweet seems off because it says the termination date for the agency's only electric bus fleet will end in march but I am hearing they will be getting electric buses in about two years. Particulary for all the qunciy routes. Can someone help me out with this? I am confused.

20 minutes ago, chasbo2 said:

Something about this tweet seems off because it says the termination date for the agency's only electric bus fleet will end in march but I am hearing they will be getting electric buses in about two years. Particulary for all the qunciy routes. Can someone help me out with this? I am confused.

think it means the end of those trolleys since the article I believe mentions that Route 73 will use the regular buses afterwards

On 1/28/2022 at 2:45 PM, chasbo2 said:

The MBTA is using several road projects as an excuse to end the trackless trolley network out of North Cambridge Carhouse and remove the wires two years before the battery-electric buses will be ready.  Details here:

MBTA.com - Beginning March 2022, MBTA Routes 71 and 73 Trolley Buses To Be Replaced with Diesel-Hybrid Buses due to Roadway Projects on Mt. Auburn Street, Belmont Street, and Huron Avenue in Cambridge and Watertown

The introduction of BEB's for the Quincy bus network will be based on when the new Quincy Garage is ready. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2022 at 9:57 AM, RailBus63 said:

The MBTA is using several road projects as an excuse to end the trackless trolley network out of North Cambridge Carhouse and remove the wires two years before the battery-electric buses will be ready.  Details here:

MBTA.com - Beginning March 2022, MBTA Routes 71 and 73 Trolley Buses To Be Replaced with Diesel-Hybrid Buses due to Roadway Projects on Mt. Auburn Street, Belmont Street, and Huron Avenue in Cambridge and Watertown

The introduction of BEB's for the Quincy bus network will be based on when the new Quincy Garage is ready. 

So after this, will it be curtains for the remaining Neoplan fleet?

For that matter, is MBTA the last Neoplan operator out there?

The Neoplan trolley coaches and dual-mode articulated buses will be retired and sold, likely for scrap.  No word yet on if any will be preserved.

The MBTA still does have 62 active Neoplan AN440LF diesel buses that will likely remain in service until the next order of hybrid buses arrives in 2023. 

• Thanks 1