Safety vests

SMS

Today I went to Anjou's industrial park where I bought a fluorescent green safety vest. I decided to invest in one for the purposes of the charters that I like to host. Typically I take my shots last once everyone has photographed the vehicle in question. Sometimes the participants get onto the roadway and this can sometimes be hazardous when traffic approaches, especially on a busy thoroughfare. My goal is to enhance our visibility and if need be I can signal traffic to pass around or stop.

I'm curious if any of you fellows have one. I personally know a local railfan has either a CN or a CP one in orange. I was dissuaded from choosing orange since this is what construction workers use, and signalers are known rather for the fluorescent green.

If anyone needs one for anything other than collecting, Mark's carries them.

If you are going to go out railfanning, DO NOT wear a vest. The last thing that any crew needs is to think that they have blown past a red board or that they are being watched by management.

Dan

We have them at work - and thats the only time I'll ever wear one.

Oh yeah, it's bright yellow with reflective silver stripes ... says "FirstCanada" and is 90% velcro.

I have the same one but mine has a picture of a dog on it... We gotta wear them "at all times" when we're in the shop... Only times we're supposed to take them off is when we're working around the engine compartment, or if we're doing some sort of welding or cutting with the torch. Why they couldn't just opt for the coveralls with the reflective stripes is beyond me....

I have the same one but mine has a picture of a dog on it... We gotta wear them "at all times" when we're in the shop... Only times we're supposed to take them off is when we're working around the engine compartment, or if we're doing some sort of welding or cutting with the torch. Why they couldn't just opt for the coveralls with the reflective stripes is beyond me....

Our mechanics have blue cover-alls with yellow striping, a vest would be too much off a safety hazard for them if it got caught in something. As for drivers, Handydart drivers have to wear them at all times since they constantly get in and out of the vehicle in traffic. Us conventional drivers only have to wear them when we're outside of the bus in the yard or in traffic, wearing them inside the bus (although some drivers do) gives too much of a glare in the windshield when its sunny out or at night with oncoming headlights. All employees and visitors have to wear them in the yard or in the shop.

• 2 months later...