New routes in March 2010 - 427 & 747

Pyerre

• 1 month later...

Scoop...

747 will be run by coach buses soon. They will start by renting buses from Galland, while what is suspected to be Prevost X3-45 are being built.

Buses will be based out of Stinson.

2 hours ago, MTL66 said:

Scoop...

747 will be run by coach buses soon. They will start by renting buses from Galland, while what is suspected to be Prevost X3-45 are being built.

Should start with the fall booking for four months (Sep-Dec). There will be both coaches and LFSs.  Details of what will happen as of January are very sketchy. First I hear about the x3-45s but very plausible. 

Do you know what type of equipment we will rent from Galland?

On 2016-07-02 at 11:41 PM, novalfs26001 said:

Should start with the fall booking for four months (Sep-Dec). There will be both coaches and LFSs.  Details of what will happen as of January are very sketchy. First I hear about the x3-45s but very plausible. 

Do you know what type of equipment we will rent from Galland?

From what 2 of my driver friends said, they will be coaches. Galland has a big fleet of MCI J4500 Coachs, those coachs are going to be operated by STM Drivers who will recieve training.

As for the Prevosts, my drivers friends heard this around their respective garages by 2 different trainers.

• Like 1

Funny, a friend told me that these would be operated by Autocars Préférence! Interesting rumours nevertheless. But let's be honest, the 747 service -successful as it is- is a joke. ADM cannot expect the STM to run crushloads on the autoroute with LFS buses and with baggage flying left right and centre ad infinitum. Adding luggage racks to a minority of buses clearly did little to alleviate the situation. The smart thing to do is to operate a premium service with coaches, air conditioning, wifi, the whole shebang! But here are the problems I see happening:

• Coach operation means slower loading and unloading times... no more local service allowed downtown on Rene-Levesque? IE embarquement seulement direction YUL and debarquement seulement direction Berri??
  • Who handles the baggage? Will the driver remain in his seat? With luggage racks below, what can be done to counter theft?
  • Change in fare structure forthcoming? Will dedicated 747 tickets be sold?
  • Will STM drivers be trained to operate on this new vehicle? What does the convention collective say? Remember- LaSalle drivers all had to be trained to drive 28-70X buses before they entered into service.
  • What is the union's reaction to this? Will they willingly accept jobs being outsourced to a contractor? (No news currently on CAOMSC 1983 website)
  • Will the STM ultimately abandon the line?

And the timing of this is very interesting. CDPQ Infra is pushing their metropolitan light rail plan (REM) with a branch heading to YUL. Isn't it in their interest to see the alternative service suffer so that the population starts screaming for a better alternative?

Let's be honest, the 747 is taking backward steps. First example, being thrown out of the bus station. Second, service reductions so that the taxis don't suffer (you can draw your conclusions here). Long live uber and the car rental facility? Ducking to avoid the tomatoes

4 hours ago, SMS said:

Funny, a friend told me that these would be operated by Autocars Préférence! Interesting rumours nevertheless. But let's be honest, the 747 service -successful as it is- is a joke. ADM cannot expect the STM to run crushloads on the autoroute with LFS buses and with baggage flying left right and centre ad infinitum. Adding luggage racks to a minority of buses clearly did little to alleviate the situation. The smart thing to do is to operate a premium service with coaches, air conditioning, wifi, the whole shebang! But here are the problems I see happening:

• Coach operation means slower loading and unloading times... no more local service allowed downtown on Rene-Levesque? IE embarquement seulement direction YUL and debarquement seulement direction Berri??
  • Who handles the baggage? Will the driver remain in his seat? With luggage racks below, what can be done to counter theft?
  • Will STM drivers be trained to operate on this new vehicle? What does the convention collective say? Remember- LaSalle drivers all had to be trained to drive 28-70X buses before they entered into service.
  • What is the union's reaction to this? Will they willingly accept jobs being outsourced to a contractor? (No news currently on CAOMSC 1983 website)

And the timing of this is very interesting. CDPQ Infra is pushing their metropolitan light rail plan (REM) with a branch heading to YUL. Isn't it in their interest to see the alternative service suffer so that the population starts screaming for a better alternative?

Let's be honest, the 747 is taking backward steps. First example, being thrown out of the bus station. Second, service reductions so that the taxis don't suffer (you can draw your conclusions here). Long live uber and the car rental facility? Ducking to avoid the tomatoes

Can I add a question. How about wheelchair accessibility? Will the coaches have wheelchair lifts?

57 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Can I add a question. How about wheelchair accessibility? Will the coaches have wheelchair lifts?

That would not be a problem as Prevost already offers lift-equipped commuter coaches, and they've been in service in NYC for about five years now:

_m7a2450.jpg?itok=zMdE3od7

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/NYMTA/MTA2437.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

That would not be a problem as Prevost already offers lift-equipped commuter coaches, and they've been in service in NYC for about five years now:

_m7a2450.jpg?itok=zMdE3od7

http://www.tomsbuspage.ca/NYMTA/MTA2437.JPG

But not all commuter coaches in the Montreal area have these lifts.

3 hours ago, SMS said:

The driver will be in charge of handling the luggage, sources told me that drivers will receive an extra 6$ per hour on their paycheck for that duties. Union has already approved the move since on the CAOMSC 1983, a meeting was held recently and it was about that service change (lettre d'entente).

For fares, it will be hard for the STM to justify more money since the 747 service is already a "premium" service since it's not regular fare and you cannot pay with tickets.

And for the Caisse project is at least 4 years away from active service, so as a temporary solutions it's good

13 hours ago, SMS said:

Galland unit 456 was on display at Stinson today for drivers to see. We are expecting 16 coaches for end of August. 

Interesting news guys. There are still burning questions that can only be answered with time:

• Is this the beginning of the end of STM service for route 747? Galland could easily pick up the contract if the coach trial proves to be a success over (let's face it) bastardized urban transit buses never designed for airport operations in the first place! A friend informs me that ADMTL offers the 747 contract on an annual basis purely so that they can drop a contractor if the service does not meet expectations.
  • If the operator is expect to be a skycap (baggage handler), can we expect reduced bus stops along Rene-Levesque Blvd in order to accelerate the service??? Can the STM hire a baggage handler for YUL and LG stn stops???
  • Is the current 747 service suffering due to interlining? Will garage-garage crews improve reliability and customer satisfaction?
  • Do drivers have the right to refuse work if deemed unsafe - in this case oversize or heavy baggage. Can we expect a slew of senior drivers (probably old men) to book the work purely so that they can get on CSST. I work with slackers and I know how they think.

I think that it's a matter of time until they short turn the line at Lionel-Groulx station and force everyone on to the metro. Holding up the 150, 410, 427, 430, 435, CIT buses etc on the Rene-Levesque reserved lane isn't going to fly (no pun intended).

Too damn bad that airport train isn't coming anytime soon. As with YMX airport, here is history repeating itself again!

As an aside. I just learned that you can buy 747 tickets from a parking meter!! I don't think that it was mentioned here yet. French and English links below.

http://www.stm.info/fr/infos/reseaux/bus/reseau-de-navettes/en-savoir-plus-sur-la-navette-747-aeroport-p-e-trudeaucentre

http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/bus/shuttle/more-about-747-aeroport-p-e-trudeau-centre-ville-shuttle

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 11:49 PM, gmnewlook said:

Those would be the first new coaches the transit agency will have since 1975.

The then-CTCUM had 30 Prevost Prestiges from 1975-1984 to operate the Areoservice downtown-Mirabel and Dorval-mirabel, route 250 and 252 respectively IIRC. Laval's then-CTL had 12 Champions for a local service Henri-Bourassa - Laval - Rosemere - Ste. Therese - Mirabel local service, 1975-82. I just looked on Busfan Place for pictures, but couldn't find any.

On July 21, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Mark Walton said:

The then-CTCUM had 30 Prevost Prestiges from 1975-1984 to operate the Areoservice downtown-Mirabel and Dorval-mirabel, route 250 and 252 respectively IIRC. Laval's then-CTL had 12 Champions for a local service Henri-Bourassa - Laval - Rosemere - Ste. Therese - Mirabel local service, 1975-82. I just looked on Busfan Place for pictures, but couldn't find any.

I just acquired a 1978 CTCUM map that shows that the Aeroservice charged $5 each way, when the regular bus fare was 50¢.  $5 in 1978 works out to about $17.50 today.

I found these photos on ESBDave's Fotki page:

http://images14.fotki.com/v218/photos/9/2227239/11268018/montreal49021f-vi.jpghttp://images108.fotki.com/v613/photos/9/2227239/11268018/montreal49024f-vi.jpghttp://images15.fotki.com/v1626/photos/9/2227239/11271410/laval3002f-vi.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2016 at 1:44 PM, eclair14 said:

And for the Caisse project is at least 4 years away from active service, so as a temporary solutions it's good

Airport branch is not planned for entering service in the first phase ― that would rather be the Champlain bridge LRT. The Fairview, Deux-Montagnes and Airport branches require a crapload of work (such as a grade-separated freight line to maintain CN service along Doney spur, and converting the busiest train line into a light rail line without much disruption), thus would not be in service before 2022 or 2023.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-07-02 at 8:40 PM, MTL66 said:

Scoop...

Some changes in regards to the 747 Coach buses. Seems the STM is only renting these buses as a temporary measure and will not be going ahead with coaches after the lease ends. Instead they have opted to order more HYBRID LFS to do the job.

I don't see the logic of buying HYBRID LFS at a premium price in order to put them on the 747... Hybrid buses are designed to work best when starting and stopping, probably the only savings they would see is during the rush hours when it is basically a parking lot on the 20.

The STM seems to also have changed the numbering scheme for the rented buses and decided not to put the buses in full STM livery as first discussed. Photos from the Galland Facebook page show the 2 units currently being used to train drivers, if everything goes to plan, the coach service is supposed to start in the new booking on August 29th.

I will try and collect more information when I go do the planibuses next week, I will try and grab an OT shift at Stinson.

74-701.jpg

74-703.jpg

74-703_2.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MTL66 said:

I will try and collect more information when I go do the planibuses next week, I will try and grab an OT shift at Stinson.

Probably an official media annoucement to come Friday as fall Planibus is avaliable on the STM Website for all lines ... except the 25 and 747 which they announce it will be avaliable on friday

edit: Never mind, PDF is on the STM website http://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/planibus_aout2016/fr/747.pdf

And we learn by this PDF that coach service will be offered between the 5am and 9pm daily with some LFS runs mix in between. Between 9pm and 5am, service will be done by LFS only

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2016 at 1:00 AM, MTL66 said:

Some changes in regards to the 747 Coach buses. Seems the STM is only renting these buses as a temporary measure and will not be going ahead with coaches after the lease ends. Instead they have opted to order more HYBRID LFS to do the job.

I don't see the logic of buying HYBRID LFS at a premium price in order to put them on the 747... Hybrid buses are designed to work best when starting and stopping, probably the only savings they would see is during the rush hours when it is basically a parking lot on the 20.

The STM seems to also have changed the numbering scheme for the rented buses and decided not to put the buses in full STM livery as first discussed. Photos from the Galland Facebook page show the 2 units currently being used to train drivers, if everything goes to plan, the coach service is supposed to start in the new booking on August 29th.

74-701.jpg

74-703.jpg

74-703_2.jpg

they should have consider the SuperLo double decker buses for the airport routes, not LFS.....

On 2016-08-20 at 11:46 PM, novalfs26001 said:

74-701 to 74-709 are on property at Stinson with STM decals

701 is Galland 456 (dark blue)

702 is Galland 459

703 is Galland 481

The others are all white and don't seem to have any apparent Galland markings on them. 

74-708 is all white and has markings of "940" above the door. Also that makes the 4th coach to break down within the first two days of service. It was towed away from Rene-Levesque and Peel this afternoon by the white Kenworth STM truck 89-126. This is already off to a bad start... :-/

Joseph and I saw other ones but I'll give him a chance to go through his photos and list the ones we saw today.