Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

1 minute ago, MK78 said:

How about any type of limited slip or locking rear diff, has there ever been any of that type of implementation that you're aware of?

I know there are automatic mechanical locking diffs in some pickup trucks, but I don't know how or if the technology translates into a transit bus with regard to reliability.

This is way out of my expertise.  I do know slow box and Nova have traction control system.  

7 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Do TTC buses use winter tires or keep the same tires all year round?

Same all year.

5 hours ago, MK78 said:

How about any type of limited slip or locking rear diff, has there ever been any of that type of implementation that you're aware of?

I know there are automatic mechanical locking diffs in some pickup trucks, but I don't know how or if the technology translates into a transit bus with regard to reliability.

Nope. No locking diffs. Only 6x6 cement trucks and the like  would have stuff like that.

However current versions of air ABS can be used as traction control to arrest the slipping wheel, much like cars.

A locking or posi differential is redundant if you have that.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Nope. No locking diffs. 

One wheel breaks free and you’re stuck.

Yeah, I figured... I remember in the old fishbowls the operators would tell the people to cram in the back of the bus to get more weight to get traction, lol...

1 minute ago, MK78 said:

Yeah, I figured... I remember in the old fishbowls the operators would tell the people to cram in the back of the bus to get more weight to get traction, lol...

You quoted before I edited my response, lol. But yeah, that was definitely the case with anything pre dating ABS.

spinning up the back wheels to ludicrous RPMs was the cause of many grenading diffs. All that rotating mass instantly hooking up on a bare patch of asphalt would break an axle shaft, or bust a tooth or three off the ring gear. Kaboom.

12 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

You quoted before I edited my response, lol. But yeah, that was definitely the case with anything pre dating ABS.

spinning up the back wheels to ludicrous RPMs was the cause of many grenading diffs. All that rotating mass instantly hooking up on a bare patch of asphalt would break an axle shaft, or bust a tooth or three off the ring gear. Kaboom.

Yep speaking of Kaboom, i was on an old bus 20 years ago leaving Kennedy station, it had just made a turn,  and an airbag exploded in the rear, the whole bus leaned to the right... It was like a cannon shot. it was either a fishbowl or one of those MCI classic ones.

41 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I know STM sipes their tires to help with traction, since their elevation is more variable than ours. 

Has TTC ever considered that?

Not that I know of.

Part of the problem might be that we lease our tires, and the ultimate owner may not appreciate us slicing into them. I don’t know what the STM’s arrangement is.

• Thanks 1

Going back to the previous discussion on the Events Support buses, from seeing them on their first assignment at Nuit Blanche, the dark grey made the buses appear nearly invisible at nighttime. Which is probably not a good idea to do when you're using them as roadblocks. The new livery with the lighter grey and the white stripe should do wonders in increasing their visibility, especially for nighttime events.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Articulated said:

Going back to the previous discussion on the Events Support buses, from seeing them on their first assignment at Nuit Blanche, the dark grey made the buses appear nearly invisible at nighttime. Which is probably not a good idea to do when you're using them as roadblocks. The new livery with the lighter grey and the white stripe should do wonders in increasing their visibility, especially for nighttime events.

They could have retained those reflective strips that come with the standard livery I guess. Although I can’t say I’ve seen them in person, on a cursory glance, they don’t seem to have much of anything reflective. 

4 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

They could have retained those reflective strips that come with the standard livery I guess. Although I can’t say I’ve seen them in person, on a cursory glance, they don’t seem to have much of anything reflective. 

Wouldn't concrete or plastic blockades be more affordable? (not saying they should do that tho) 

1 minute ago, ttc9432 said:

Wouldn't concrete or plastic blockades be more affordable? (not saying they should do that tho) 

Barriers need to be picked up and maneuvered by a forklift, and transported on a truck. Difficult and time-consuming to set up and remove, which would add hours to any road closure (and further frustrate drivers). I saw them maneuver the trucks into place on Queen Street this morning - it took them seconds to set up and park two trucks to efficiently block the road. Plus, these trucks already exist and are paid for by the City. Might as well put them to use in the evenings and weekends when they would otherwise be parked at the works yards.

1 minute ago, Articulated said:

Barriers need to be picked up and maneuvered by a forklift, and transported on a truck. Difficult and time-consuming to set up and remove, which would add hours to any road closure (and further frustrate drivers). I saw them maneuver the trucks into place on Queen Street this morning - it took them seconds to set up and park two trucks to efficiently block the road. Plus, these trucks already exist and are paid for by the City. Might as well put them to use in the evenings and weekends when they would otherwise be parked at the works yards.

When you say trucks, you mean the Orion VII Bus/Blockade? I didn't know they still had motors in them. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

No, they mean actual trucks. Note what's in the background of this photo they took.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133105966@N05/44016833500/in/faves-100607361@N06/

The Orions are still fully capable buses, the only thing they did to them was repaint them and transfer them to the TPS.

Oh. In that case, where are the buses stored? Are they still owned by the city?

13 minutes ago, 63 Ossington said:

Supposedly they are to be driven by Special Constables for pre-planned events only. Also being based at Queensway still (I believe), it can take quite a while to get to the scene.

Nobody said it had to be an incident on a highway, could be a building fire or something requiring evac 

5 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Nobody said it had to be an incident on a highway, could be a building fire or something requiring evac 

Not quite sure where you pulled the highway thing from....

I meant that due to its location, an incident, such as your building fire example, could happen far away such as in Scarborough. For the bus to get staffed by a Special Constable, and then driven to the scene in Scarborough from Queensway, it could be prohibitively long.