Jump to content
Orion V

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

That's why I asked here first.

The operator struck me as a fairly new one, and if no one informed him of the detour, then it would be quite a surprise (to the op, I mean). (Would long-term route detours be posted at the division? I would think they ought to be.)

On the other hand, he made some bad decisions, that went against the training to call in to CIS, and I wouldn't say the interactions with the passengers were very good either. That's the same reason I reported a different op who I suppose misread the run sheet and went off on the wrong route branch, insisting that he was right. This was early enough in the morning to know that he was wrong (the bus enters service on this run, every morning)....and the other passengers, 90% of whom are regulars on that run, knew that as well.

Up to you if you want to file a complaint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Unless the commission adopts the same fueling practices ( which there is no desire to) we have little to worry about...at least about running out, anyway. The article is just an excuse for both sides to lob insults at each other. After reading, I’ve surmised that neither spokesperson is familiar with the nuts and bolts of hybrid technology, the BAE incarnation in particular.

- (tinfoil hat time)

....I wonder how many of these mileage accounting errors between fuellings are actually *ahem* ...accidental.

The fuel practices is something I know we in Toronto dont have much to really worry about (unless some moron comes by and decides to change the current practices).  That decision alone would be enough to wreak havoc to various aspects of the maintenance regime.

The hybrid stuff is what came as a surprise to me, so it would be interesting to know whether Montreal is *actually having problems with their hybrids or if this is just another Union vs. Employer gripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lip said:

The fuel practices is something I know we in Toronto dont have much to really worry about (unless some moron comes by and decides to change the current practices).  That decision alone would be enough to wreak havoc to various aspects of the maintenance regime.

The hybrid stuff is what came as a surprise to me, so it would be interesting to know whether Montreal is *actually having problems with their hybrids or if this is just another Union vs. Employer gripe.

The article smacks of the latter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that just came across my mind. All of the cars on St.Clair can’t go back to Leslie due to the accident. On top of that, aren’t drivers still not allowed to do overtime due to the battle between the union and TTC? Are they expecting to just have all the drivers rack up overtime or is there a contingency plan in place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New (arbitrated) contract just came down about three(?) weeks ago. I think overtime is allowed again.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know why the TTC doesn't buy buses with rear windows? For example, I know the newer LFS can for sure have a rear window (MiWay). 

Is it just the extra cost?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ttc9432 said:

Does anyone know why the TTC doesn't buy buses with rear windows? For example, I know the newer LFS can for sure have a rear window (MiWay). 

Is it just the extra cost?

 

It's an unnecessary extra cost. The Proterra BE40s will be an exception to this since they come standard with a rear window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Holy shit

thankful it wasn’t the other side.

Yeah that's crazy... Who's betting this bus will be retired? Thats quite serious damage. 9003 looks like an Artic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 9003 is too damaged to repair, I wonder if Nova can build just a front section of an artic and TTC and separate the back section and use it with the new front section? Or TTC can graft the front of the 8500 that was t-boned onto 9003 like what they did with a fishbowl and a D40LF?

 

Hope the injured make full recoveries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

If 9003 is too damaged to repair, I wonder if Nova can build just a front section of an artic and TTC and separate the back section and use it with the new front section? Or TTC can graft the front of the 8500 that was t-boned onto 9003 like what they did with a fishbowl and a D40LF?

They may just do the latter if anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

If 9003 is too damaged to repair, I wonder if Nova can build just a front section of an artic and TTC and separate the back section and use it with the new front section? Or TTC can graft the front of the 8500 that was t-boned onto 9003 like what they did with a fishbowl and a D40LF?

 

Hope the injured make full recoveries.

90% of the front portion of the bus is still perfectly fine. I expect there to be no problem in fixing this, but if the  bus wizards at Harvey Shops can't fix it, they might just order a front section of the cab, kind of like they did on 7333 from the front end of 7308. I'm expecting frame, windshield, destination sign, door mechanism, electronics, front axle and cab damage (dashboard, wheelchair lift). Don't think it will take tooooo long, maybe 6 months????? 

Also, do you mean 8573? 8500 is still in service. Also, is the front (windshield and cab) of the artic and non-artic the same on the LFS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they keep the carcass of 8573, or was it scrapped after they harvested all the parts from it? Maybe the cab portion can be grafted over from it. But who knows if it would be structurally the same after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They won’t know for sure until they get their laser sighting tools on the body to see how warped it is overall. To add, I’m told they had to hack away quite a lot of the front end just to extract it from what was left of the pole. From another picture I’d been shown at another angle, the front axle is damn near touching the rear fender. That’s not good.

A co worker of mine who was at Duncan before the vision project told me that 8573(?)s front end is compromised too, so that idea is in doubt. His prognosis isn’t good, and he’s the one that typically runs the alignment machines there.

  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ttc9432 said:

90% of the front portion of the bus is still perfectly fine. I expect there to be no problem in fixing this, but if the  bus wizards at Harvey Shops can't fix it, they might just order a front section of the cab, kind of like they did on 7333 from the front end of 7308. I'm expecting frame, windshield, destination sign, door mechanism, electronics, front axle and cab damage (dashboard, wheelchair lift). Don't think it will take tooooo long, maybe 6 months????? 

Also, do you mean 8573? 8500 is still in service. Also, is the front (windshield and cab) of the artic and non-artic the same on the LFS?

Yeah I meant 8573. I knew it was in the 8500 series, but I knew it was NOT 8500 even

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

They won’t know for sure until they get their laser sighting tools on the body to see how warped it is overall. To add, I’m told they had to hack away quite a lot of the front end just to extract it from what was left of the pole. From another picture I’d been shown at another angle, the front axle is damn near touching the rear fender. That’s not good.

A co worker of mine who was at Duncan before the vision project told me that 8573(?)s front end is compromised too, so that idea is in doubt. His prognosis isn’t good, and he’s the one that typically runs the alignment machines there.

Do the non-artic and the artic versions of the LFS have the same front? If they don't, 8573 is useless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

They won’t know for sure until they get their laser sighting tools on the body to see how warped it is overall. To add, I’m told they had to hack away quite a lot of the front end just to extract it from what was left of the pole. From another picture I’d been shown at another angle, the front axle is damn near touching the rear fender. That’s not good.

A co worker of mine who was at Duncan before the vision project told me that 8573(?)s front end is compromised too, so that idea is in doubt. His prognosis isn’t good, and he’s the one that typically runs the alignment machines there.

They won't need laser tools to check that one. It was towed to Mt Dennis early this morning and is now on a hoist surrounded by police tape and barrier ropes waiting to be inspected. We got a good look at it this morning. It's bad. In addition to what you heard, everything forward of the front wheel wells/axle has shifted several inches to the right side and the right front wheel well has shifted upwards 4-5''. It may be repairable if a donor front can be found but is it worth it? We'll have to wait and see.

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what the premium an Artic carries over a standard Nova, so this may factor into it, if it can be structurally sound after the repair. Age may also be a factor, since that bus is already 5 years old and the TTC doesn't seem to run the buses as long as they used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BusFanForever said:

They won't need laser tools to check that one. It was towed to Mt Dennis early this morning and is now on a hoist surrounded by police tape and barrier ropes waiting to be inspected. We got a good look at it this morning. It's bad. In addition to what you heard, everything forward of the front wheel wells/axle has shifted several inches to the right side and the right front wheel well has shifted upwards 4-5''. It may be repairable if a donor front can be found but is it worth it? We'll have to wait and see.

Artics are definitely worth a lot more than the 40 foot LFS. They wouldn't scrap it. 

 

18 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I don't know what the premium an Artic carries over a standard Nova, so this may factor into it, if it can be structurally sound after the repair. Age may also be a factor, since that bus is already 5 years old and the TTC doesn't seem to run the buses as long as they used to.

5 years old? Barley old enough for mid-life rebuild. I don't really think the TTC would retire it. Maybe keep it in storage until a proper front end is found? These buses will probably run for 7 more years. The age of this bus i don't really think this is a major or deciding factor. This bus is too valuable for that still. Plus, was there really that much damage? A lot of damage in a small area. Don't think they are going to retire 9003 anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The age of the bus won't factor into it in the way you suppose it will. If a bus got into an accident on the same day it entered service, and was irreparably damaged, it would be retired, be damned to its age.

The question is whether that is the case for 9003 or not. Speculating is pointless, there are enough insider folk on the forum that I'm sure we'll be kept up to date on its status when a decision has been made.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...