Streetcar News

CLRV4037

I was wondering about the 512 shuttle bus service.

Would it not be possible to park the cars at Hilcrest overnight? And have the crews start from there? That way they wouldn't need to run buses.

Think of it this way. If the answer was yes and it made logical sense, streetcars would be running on the 512 today.

there was a bit of discussion on the tweet machine about 514 - Brad Ross confirms C/ALRVs with cards in the window will operate.

https://twitter.com/bradTTC/status/711530139658678272

As expected. Like how they have window cards on the 521 when they had it during the CNE. They'll probably put up 504 Dufferin and 504 Parliament.

The should make the signs more noticeable like a full window size sign for the side window. I find the 521 signs way too small to be noticeable.

As expected. Like how they have window cards on the 521 when they had it during the CNE. They'll probably put up 504 Dufferin and 504 Parliament.

Though 504 Parliament turn north on Parliament - 504 Broadview may make more sense ... though that has equal problems. Express? No great answer eastbound.

504 Broadview would be problematic because people would think the car's going all the way to Broadview station.

504 Broadview is used every day for the cars that head north on Broadview and short-turn west on Dundas. Why is it okay for that, but would make people think it's going to Broadview Station if used for Cherry.

Car #4406 failed while in service on 510 Spadina just south of King Street shortly before 4 PM today. It was pushed out of the way, most likely to Queens Quay Loop, by #4413.

Yup! And I was there to see the WHOLE thing take place. :P

Hi all, I'm Sammi, author of the apparently well-known tracker, and this is my first post on the CPTDB. :)

I was out fanning with my friend, and we were heading down Spadina... on 4406. As we go south towards Front Street we hear a loud bang from the back of the car. My friend and I thought it was a derailment, and then the car stopped. We look back and see the wire, along with the end of the trolley pole, dangling from the insulator:

DjG8VAQ.jpg

Turns out the end of the pole just snapped off. :o

awagChB.jpg

Wsma4EB.jpg

We stayed there for a few minutes while the operator sorted it out, and got 4413 to join in to move it out of the way. While they were attempting to couple the two cars, 4406 decided to put up the pantograph! :D I didn't think they would be using them any time soon, but they did in this case.

WhFmlSS.jpg

On our way back, we decided to stop by Queens Quay Loop and saw that the car was still sitting there. Too bad I didn't get a picture.

• Like 1

I honestly had a bad feeling about #4406. I remember seeing it on the 509 back when I was in Toronto, and it made a loud screeching noise when it was stopping, sounded way worse than the other cars. Not surprised by this incident.

How on earth are the two incidents related in any way? That is like if a bus with screechy brakes had an engine fire. Apples and oranges.

I was wondering yesterday if the panto could be raised in an electrically isolated way to act as an ice cutter. I think Amtrak does something like that sometimes (raise both pantos)

No, the pantograph is never used an ice cutter. The reason Amtrak's electric locomotives (or any other electric locomotives for that matter) are more likely to operate with both pantographs raised at the same time in icy conditions has to do with basic electrical principles. When current flows through a contact spot, heat is generated in the constriction resistance and dissipated into the bulk of the conductors. The generation depends on the electrical resistivity, and the dissipation on the thermal conductivity; both of these vary with the local temperature. In an electric locomotive operating at speed using an icy catenary as power supply, even though the ice on the contact wire is partially melted by the flow of electric current through the wire, it is not completely removed at the contact point with the pantograph's graphite strip, which makes the total "exposed" surface area between contact wire and the pantograph smaller in icy conditions.

This in turn greatly increases the electrical resistance. At a current intensity that can vary roughly from say, 20 to 200 A/ locomotive, a small contact area with the pantograph (due to ice formation on the overhead catenary), resulting in increased electrical resistance, generates a tremendous amount of heat, which in turn leads to two things: 1) significant damage/wear of the pantograph's contact strip and 2) damage to the overhead catenary itself.

1) is not that bad (because graphite strips are essentially consumables that wear out anyway and need to be replaced regularly), but 2) is a much more serious problem that's harder to fix. So in case of ice on the overhead, both pantographs are raised. Each pantograph acts as its own electrical resistance and as everybody recalls from basic high school physics, two electrical resistances set up in parallel result in an overall resistance that is lower than each of the individual resistances. So the total resistance at the pantograph-overhead interface is reduced compared to the case of having only one pantograph raised. The total contact area between pantograph and catenary is also increased (because both pantographs are simultaneously in contact with the wire). So the chances of either 1) or 2) happening are reduced.

• Like 1

Yup! And I was there to see the WHOLE thing take place. :P

Hi all, I'm Sammi, author of the apparently well-known tracker, and this is my first post on the CPTDB. :)

I was out fanning with my friend, and we were heading down Spadina... on 4406. As we go south towards Front Street we hear a loud bang from the back of the car. My friend and I thought it was a derailment, and then the car stopped. We look back and see the wire, along with the end of the trolley pole, dangling from the insulator:

Turns out the end of the pole just snapped off.

We stayed there for a few minutes while the operator sorted it out, and got 4413 to join in to move it out of the way. While they were attempting to couple the two cars, 4406 decided to put up the pantograph! :D I didn't think they would be using them any time soon, but they did in this case.

On our way back, we decided to stop by Queens Quay Loop and saw that the car was still sitting there. Too bad I didn't get a picture.

Welcome to this forum! Car #4406 is back in service today after a one-day break. Obviously this incident wasn't a big deal.

These kinds of incidents are likely to be much more "entertaining" in the future once the switch to pantograph operation is made, because pantographs do snag on the overhead occasionally and - compared to a ripped trolley shoe - the potential for damage to equipment on the roof is much higher if the pantograph snaps off.

1) is not that bad (because graphite strips are essentially consumables that wear out anyway and need to be replaced regularly), but 2) is a much more serious problem that's harder to fix. So in case of ice on the overhead, both pantographs are raised. Each pantograph acts as its own electrical resistance and as everybody recalls from basic high school physics, two electrical resistances set up in parallel result in an overall resistance that is lower than each of the individual resistances. So the total resistance at the pantograph-overhead interface is reduced compared to the case of having only one pantograph raised. The total contact area between pantograph and catenary is also increased (because both pantographs are simultaneously in contact with the wire). So the chances of either 1) or 2) happening are reduced.

very interesting. Thanks!

Today at the Easter parade, they bought out five streetcars: Witt 2766, PCC 4500, CLRV 4125, ALRV 4217, and LFLRV 4412. This year, they ran the cars in chronological order as they had a service truck running in front of the Witt.

I have attached pics:

1 Witt 2766.JPG

2 PCC 4500.JPG

3 CLRV 4125.JPG

4 ALRV 4217.JPG

5 LFLRV 4412.JPG