TTC Ride Guide

Time to bump this thread with the arrival of the New Ride Guide and Ride Guide Lite. The new updated version of the RGL has debuted on many buses this week and features a new updated system map. Some highlights include new colours that depict GO Train lines. These are the same colours that GO used to identify their rail corridors eg. Brown for Stouffville. Of particular interest are green lines which denote all express and rocket routes. A separate streetcar network map is included that is similar to the map installed on streetcars. The new Ride Guide has been completely revamped and is now the same size as the RGL. Both have the same white cover depicting an artists drawing of different neighborhood's and streets in Toronto. An updated Blue Night Network map is included as well. On the reverse side information about POP, trip planning, subway service alternatives during a disruption, subway station and route map, ten minute network, bike repair shops and Wi-Fi mobile services can be found. I have also noticed that the TTC website has updated all of their maps as well as individual route maps. If you prefer the old school maps with the myriad of information that was given before you may not like this updated change. And a quick note but I no longer see MapArt copyrighted too. Overall an excellent map, well done TTC :).

And of course there are mistakes on it. They did a better job of fixing the mistakes before they released it this time but there are still some:

96A/D near Carrier Dr and Finch. When the 96A and D separated, it should be limited service along that short split.

97C/D goes to St Clair not Summerhill station.

107 is limited service, not regular service. On weekends, it doesn't operate past 10pm.

Both 117A/B goes to Steeles, not just 117A as indicated near Steeles/Dufferin (should just say 117 instead of 117A in the white box).

Comment: The 191 should get a bold line to indicate it's on the 10 minute network. Instead they chosen to only give the 192 the bold line to indicate Airport Rocket.

Map also fails to show that the 96 and 191 now loops inside the Humber College North Campus bus terminal.

Note: the map is only valid till March 26 before the introduce the 5 new express/rocket routes. After that, in the summer when the 121, 172 and 514 changes come into effect, a 3rd version is needed.

A few other points:

The map is inconsistent when it comes to marking hospitals (only some are labelled, like Sunnybrook and the new Humber River Hospital, others are not). Connections to neighbouring transit agencies are inconsistent as well. Why label a connection to DRT (a rush hour only service) at Rouge Hill, and not to MiWay at Long Branch (two routes that run 7 days a week)? Why label connections to MiWay, GO, and Brampton Transit at Pearson Airport, yet miss noting the connections at Humber College?

Overall, I like the new map, and support the idea of going with a schematic map, tossing aside perfect geographic accuracy and scale. It's much easier to read than anything published since the early 1980s.

A few thoughts on my own blog:
http://seanmarshall.ca/2016/02/02/a-new-ttc-system-map/

• 1 year later...

With the extension of the subway into Vaughan, does the coverage get extended on the Ride Guide/Ridge Guide Lite or will it just be shown as in inset or worse, like bus routes into York Region as a line running off the map with the final destination labelled?

I do miss seeing everything from a regional perspective with the other 905-agency routes.Ā  Especially with PRESTO, it kinda blurs the boundaries, moreso if the TTC can ever sort out a transfer arrangement with those agencies.

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to grab a new Winter 2017-2018 Ride Guide Lite last Saturday a week before the opening.Ā  Looks like they've extended the map up to Highway 7 meaning along with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre you can also see the 160 BATHURST NORTH in its entirety.Ā  The ledger setting was the only one that could fit the entire map for scanning.Ā  Wasn't sure if they were supposed to be out as I haven't seen any since.Ā  I'm guessing the TTC will switch their system map to this one once the extension officially opens.Ā  Other than the 160, it looks strange seeing no routes going into Vaughan.

TTC Ride Guide Lite W17-18.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gil said:

Managed to grab a new Winter 2017-2018 Ride Guide Lite last Saturday a week before the opening.Ā  Looks like they've extended the map up to Highway 7 meaning along with Vaughan Metropolitan Centre you can also see the 160 BATHURST NORTH in its entirety.Ā  The ledger setting was the only one that could fit the entire map for scanning.Ā  Wasn't sure if they were supposed to be out as I haven't seen any since.Ā  I'm guessing the TTC will switch their system map to this one once the extension officially opens.Ā  Other than the 160, it looks strange seeing no routes going into Vaughan.

They already put up this map on some of the bus sheltersĀ 

7 hours ago, nfitz said:

Why though - we've known for a while that it's staying open? Heck, it will have more trains a day than Oriole, even with limited service.

The maps they put up are intended to stay up for some time and probably way beyond the York U GO station closure date. I guess someone in the map making department made an assumption. The last time revision found on bus shelters isĀ dated March 2016 when they transition to the current map layout which was over a year an a half.Ā Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Does anyone know whether the TTC will be issuing a full Ride Guide with the Spadina Subway extension, or just the Lite version?

Haven't seen the full-sized Ride Guide yet. In fact, I haven't even taken one home since the first redesigned Ride Guide (without the street map in the background) back in 2014.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, Express Network said:

The Fall 2019 Ride Guide has a few additional changes:Ā 

- Toronto Public Library branches
- BikeShareTO locations in selected stations.

Ā 

The Fall 2019 Ride Guides have been available for a few weeks now.Ā  At first glance the library symbols could be mistaken for the accessible/wheelchair symbol as they're both in blue squares along with the hospital symbol (which is albeit a different shade of blue).Ā  The branch name identifies it as a library, but perhaps a different symbol/shape/colour could have been used?Ā  Even their new logo would have made a suitable differentiation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gil said:

The Fall 2019 Ride Guides have been available for a few weeks now.Ā  At first glance the library symbols could be mistaken for the accessible/wheelchair symbol as they're both in blue squares along with the hospital symbol (which is albeit a different shade of blue).Ā  The branch name identifies it as a library, but perhaps a different symbol/shape/colour could have been used?Ā  Even their new logo would have made a suitable differentiation.

It'll be better if they just made it as a icon of a book

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 12:33 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

It'll be better if they just made it as a icon of a book

Case in point around Coxwell station between the Michael Garron Hospital, the Danforth/Coxwell Library branch and the accessible station it's easy to get the symbols mixed up (using the thumbnail here as a perfect example) if you can't distinguish the shades.Ā  The same point could be made at Queen's Park station on the downtown inset with the CAMH facility and Lillian H. Smith branch nearly all lined up.Ā  Perhaps putting it in a circle instead to distinguish the shapes?Ā  The person reading the book could also be misconstrued as a superhero of some sort (or at least someone in a cape)!Ā 

Fall 2019 Ride Guide East York.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Oke said:

I've noticed that the 502 is missing from the Fall 2019 Ride Guide Lite

Because it has temporarily been replaced by the 503 all day service. Itā€™s is unknown when/if it will return

There is still the numbers on the Downtown section but no line.Ā 

• 1 month later...