Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

Rode the 6x and 7x set on Line 4 today. Saw 5x, didn't see the 4th set.

Noticed that none of the two sets I rode had A/C running, only the vent was on. Presumably the reason was to keep the temperature of all the stations comfortable (turning the A/C on can contribute to hotter stations for lines that are completely underground).

9 hours ago, vivablue5215 said:

Noticed that none of the two sets I rode had A/C running, only the vent was on. Presumably the reason was to keep the temperature of all the stations comfortable (turning the A/C on can contribute to hotter stations for lines that are completely underground).

I doubt that was the reason why the A/C on the trains weren't running. The ventilation system of the Sheppard line is much more robust than that of the rest of the subway system.

Dan

12 minutes ago, Fire123 said:

TRs going out of service at Kennedy Wednesday morning - deadheading back to the YUS after the delay?

Presumably. With the fire starting that early, I'd have thought they'd have been short T1 trains from Kipling to St. George - so presumably some from Wilson were put in service until they could get trains from Greenwood to west of St. George.

So after everything started again, I'd think any TR train already heading east from Kipling, would simply continue to Kennedy.

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Is wiki correct for the TRs?  I read it that all sets are delivered, I had thought more six car sets were to come after the four car sets, starting at 6091.

Clearly wrong. This is the "Editing Toronto Transit Commission 5381-6176" page?

There is 76+6 sets in total. Only 71 (up to 6081-6) 6-car sets and 3 4-car sets are in service. (correct me if a 4th 4-car set entered service. I don't see any sightings of it. Nor is the 72th set in service)

3 hours ago, TTC5327 said:

Does anyone know when the last two 4 car TRs namely 6181-6182-6185-6186 and 6191-6192-6195-6196 will be delivered?

If they are still following the schedule that I remember reading earlier this year, they are suppose to be delivered once the final 6-car set is here. There are only 4 6-car sets left to be delivered.

This shot from May 2012 looks as if there are enough cars for a whole train and then some, including two cab cars next to the facility ^_^:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.3568997,-89.30605,3a,20y,72.48h,86.02t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQOJlr0vz5B-X76QaLF-gWg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQOJlr0vz5B-X76QaLF-gWg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D103.92654%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656

Question: did Bombardier install TTC-gauge track for this work, are the trucks swapped out before shipping, or it is just an illusion that the TR cars appear to be sitting on the tracks?

20 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

Question: did Bombardier install TTC-gauge track for this work, are the trucks swapped out before shipping, or it is just an illusion that the TR cars appear to be sitting on the tracks?

The vast majority of the trackage up at the plant is built to TTC gauge.

Dan

• Like 1

It looks like the tracks with regular gauge connect to the cars on the track. Is that track compatible with both gauges?  It looks like the track the flat car is parked on is connected to the ones that the TR's are parked on. 

On 6/14/2016 at 9:14 PM, Shaun said:

It looks like the tracks with regular gauge connect to the cars on the track. Is that track compatible with both gauges?  It looks like the track the flat car is parked on is connected to the ones that the TR's are parked on. 

There is mixed gauge within the yard, with large signs now instructing the yard crew which cars can go where.........

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed, but a few weeks ago I witnessed a TR test train with destination signs in some of the passenger windows on the sides of the train like they have in New York and some other systems. I don't recall what set it was though. Looks like that's going to be another additional feature on the TRs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

I don't know if any of you guys have noticed, but a few weeks ago I witnessed a TR test train with destination signs in some of the passenger windows on the sides of the train like they have in New York and some other systems. I don't recall what set it was though. Looks like that's going to be another additional feature on the TRs.

It will be nice but don't know if it'll be necessary, only time I could think of is when they shut down Bay Stn. and you'll have trains on one platform going to 3 different destinations at Museum but other than that we don't have a platform at any station that could have trains go to multiple destinations that could really warrant that feature unlike in NYC.

6 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Has anyone seen the 609x set in service yet? Please post if you do! Thanks

I think I saw it this past week, but it was a high 60XX number I haven't seen before.

Had my first look at 6161 & 6151? on Sheppard this week as well. Stange not seeing the 4 & 5 number car in the set.