TTC P/R Codes

YRT-Guy

You know, I always felt that ferry service was never given a fair chance, a lot of people didn't know it even existed and government seemed to want no part in funding it, what a shame and a waste. Now they talk about operating a service between Port Dover and Erie, PA, if that ever comes to pass I hope they do a better job of promoting it.

You know, I always felt that ferry service was never given a fair chance, a lot of people didn't know it even existed and government seemed to want no part in funding it, what a shame and a waste. Now they talk about operating a service between Port Dover and Erie, PA, if that ever comes to pass I hope they do a better job of promoting it.

I don't know if it's the government (Fed/Prov-State/City) or the company to blame but I think the biggest problem for the Rochester Ferry was the scheduling. It favoured tourists coming over to Toronto for day-trips. For those heading over to Rochester, unless you wanted to stay for only 2-3 hours you had to stay overnight. Then there's the fact that there wasn't much advertising as to what there was to do once you got to Rochester. Tourism ads promoting Rochester could have easily included a mention of the ferry.

On our side, the TTC didn't make things easy for those who walked onto the ferry at Rochester. There was not ticketing agent at the terminal to by day-passes or tickets. Plus most the tourists were taking out Canadian cash at the ATM in the terminal. However, there weren't any places to get change to pay for their fares. When I used to work there I would have to tell people that they'd have to make it to Union Station first to purchase day passes or tickets/tokens. They'd have to take the hit on overpaying the fare with the $20 bills that the ATM spit out. I'd recommend that people team up to get the maximum passengers for $20 and sort out the fare once they arrived at Union. This brings to mind the situation at Pearson, which I hope by now is rectified somehow.

I don't know if it's the government (Fed/Prov-State/City) or the company to blame but I think the biggest problem for the Rochester Ferry was the scheduling. It favoured tourists coming over to Toronto for day-trips. For those heading over to Rochester, unless you wanted to stay for only 2-3 hours you had to stay overnight. Then there's the fact that there wasn't much advertising as to what there was to do once you got to Rochester. Tourism ads promoting Rochester could have easily included a mention of the ferry.

The governments had a lot to do with the failure. A large part of the justification for the ferry was to take trucks off of the highways, but one of the governments (I think Canadian, but I'm honestly not sure) refused to allow them to be carried without the proper facilities at their end, and essentially scuttled the whole project before it started.

With trucking out of the picture early on, the ferry company did make a push for tourists in both directions, but frankly who wants to visit Rochester for a day-trip anyways, especially more than once?

Dan

I dont think you were joking... ur comment is way off LOL

Doesn't that take a LONG time to get there since there is no direct route on the waters? West of Lake Ont is Niagara Falls and you can't exactly ferry it up the falls. East of Lake Ont goes all the way into Quebec and then you have to go around it into Atlantic Ocean. Maybe I got it all wrong since I failed Geography! Joking!

I dont think you were joking... ur comment is way off LOL

To Luke and Busman:

I thought Rochester was a place in New York City since I've head that word used in some MTA Subway. My mistake! My whole question started from thinking Rochester was inside NY City so having a ferry service from Toronto to there is going to take a LONG loop. I didn't know it was right at the bottom of Lake Ont. <_<

To Luke and Busman:

I thought Rochester was a place in New York City since I've head that word used in some MTA Subway. My mistake! My whole question started from thinking Rochester was inside NY City so having a ferry service from Toronto to there is going to take a LONG loop. I didn't know it was right at the bottom of Lake Ont. <_<

FYI, there is no Rochester Station on the MTA Subway system. You've probably fused some names of other station names together (Eastchester, Westchester, Baychester, Parkchester, Rockefeller, Rockaway) or .... maybe you've read up on the abandoned Rochester subway and thought it was part of the New York City subway system.

Word of advice, if your not sure of something "Google" it up. I'm sure if you google "Rochester Ferry" it'll turn up links to pages/sites with mention or content on the Rochester ferry service and what lead to its demise.

FYI, there is no Rochester Station on the MTA Subway system. You've probably fused some names of other station names together (Eastchester, Westchester, Baychester, Parkchester, Rockefeller, Rockaway) or .... maybe you've read up on the abandoned Rochester subway and thought it was part of the New York City subway system.

Word of advice, if your not sure of something "Google" it up. I'm sure if you google "Rochester Ferry" it'll turn up links to pages/sites with mention or content on the Rochester ferry service and what lead to its demise.

It's quite of ashamed that funding was the hardest part to get the people ride the ferry and the operation. I personally would like to try it, but been told it's expensive.

So with the port already build, I don't know what's happening to the Toronto location today. I have my doubts that they will never bring it back again.

Expensive?

I cant remember the exact amount, but i recal it was very reasonable.

It's quite of ashamed that funding was the hardest part to get the people ride the ferry and the operation. I personally would like to try it, but been told it's expensive.

So with the port already build, I don't know what's happening to the Toronto location today. I have my doubts that they will never bring it back again.

1. Try http://www.hamblywoolley.com/

2. I don't see a sign "SORRY... BUS FULL" a la Mississauga Transit. Passenger by-pass is one of the top TTC complaints.

3. I was going to include an image of a Montreal funeral tram, but I'm a noob when it comes to attaching (appropriately-sized) graphics.

I like the idea of #2 but for that to work people would actually have to LOOK at the sign when in fact most don't even look to see that the bus is already crushloaded yet still want on at all costs, and they still have the nerve to complain about passenger by-pass? <_< Complain about the service, or lack thereof, it's not the driver's fault he can't pick up any more people.

On Bayview this morning there was an Orion VII southbound at Millwood whose sign read: TPS-TFS-EMS. I can only assume it was a training vehicle for Toronto Police, Toronto Fire Service and Emergency Medical Services crews.

It's used primarily for shuttle duties for police, fire, and ambulance personnel. Pretty common to see in front of police headquarters during Caribana weekend.

The old sign I remember was WOODBINE RACES, althought it hasen't been programmed for years.

I know that there is a coee for "RACES" but I think that one is a destination code and not a P/R code.

Also, people have mentioned ones like "Training Bus" and "Funeral" ... those are also desto codes instead of P/R codes because they're not supposed to be mixed with route displays.

I can see the looks on faces now ... bus pulling up to a packed platform at Jane ...

35C JANE

TO STEELES

. . .

TRAINING BUS

Yeah, I can see only a few brave souls getting on that one! Too bad I couldn't try that later!

• 2 weeks later...

Found a new one ...

Proof of Payment

Required on Queen Street

... or something to that effect.

Also, new desto code ... "TORONTO GTTA" ... unfortunately, they rushed this one and someone left the rear sign without a value, so we get another lovely "CHK MW" in the back!

Thats not new, it was added in the May 2007 update

Found a new one ...

Proof of Payment

Required on Queen Street

... or something to that effect.

Also, new desto code ... "TORONTO GTTA" ... unfortunately, they rushed this one and someone left the rear sign without a value, so we get another lovely "CHK MW" in the back!

How about "Extra Fare Required AT Steeles"? There's a video on YouTube of a Hybrid on the 165 displaying that.

I beileve that is part of the route display (couldn't think of a better term to use) for routes that go north of Steeles like 165A, D, F, 37D, 68B, etc.

How about "Extra Fare Required AT Steeles"? There's a video on YouTube of a Hybrid on the 165 displaying that.
I beileve that is part of the route display (couldn't think of a better term to use) for routes that go north of Steeles like 165A, D, F, 37D, 68B, etc.

That's my video, and it is a P/R code. The wording is slightly different in the 'built-in' exposure than the P/R one.