TTC in the news

buschic

You know, that if the operator invested in a 2 dollar coat hook, and hung his jacket up over the "one way" window.... that none of this would have happened.

You know, if the operator wasn't texting or using his cellphone while driving the train... that none of this would have happened. Management has made it pretty clear for the past couple years that cellphone use is not allowed.

The guy who took the video is no better though. If it was such a concern to him, he should have tapped on the door and told the driver off, or shown the video to a station manager, or forwarded it to the complaints department. Giving it to the news is dumb. I have to remember not to pick my nose while in the cab-I'd hate to have that video surface on youtube.

I'm off to Dollarama to get me one of 'em chromed door hooks.

+10

People and their cell phones are getting more and more ridiculous every day.

Agreed. Sometimes I pretend / play with my cell phone when I'm on the bus when I intentionally want to ignore someone. However, I agree that the whole business is becoming very ridiculous. There isn't anyone out there to contact that is so important (except 9-1-1) that you have to jeopardize personal and / or public safety to call or text. And if the person on the receiving end can't understand that, they aren't worth the cyberspace the call or text is sent on. Sorry, just my two cents.

Really? You're going to play THAT card?

Dan

Well I didn't mean it to be offensive, I'm just imagining if the operator had been paying less attention to the speed of the train, or signage/signal... the operator could have missed those.

I'm sorry if this offended you...

Edit: this made the news here in L.A. earlier

And suddenly, the memories of the Chatsworth Metrolink crash comes to mind...

Well I didn't mean it to be offensive, I'm just imagining if the operator had been paying less attention to the speed of the train, or signage/signal... the operator could have missed those.

I'm sorry if this offended you...

You are trying to compare apples and flamingos...

You are forgetting (Russell Hill aside - and steps have been taken since) that the TTC's signaling system enforces red's and switches are interlocked meaning a conflicting routing should be impossible. The chances of 2 trains hitting each other head on as in Chatsworth are almost impossible (Mainline TTC doesn't have single multi-directional trackage for one), and the chances of a train running a red (2 reds really) and failing to trip and then colliding with another train are also very very slim, particularly after the changes since Russell Hill.

That said - distracted operating is just that, and can lead to mistakes - but it is far less dangerous (in theory) to be operating a subway train than say a streetcar, bus or commuter train.

TTC bus collides with truck on Hwy. 427

Crews freed a TTC bus driver who became trapped after driving into the back of a transport truck on Highway 427 Wednesday morning.

The driver couldn’t get out because his compartment door was bent in the crash, which happened in the southbound collector lanes near Bloor Street West around 7:30 a.m.

Paramedics took 12 people to local hospitals, most complaining of neck and back pain, and assessed the driver at the scene.

Twenty-one other passengers were transferred to another bus to continue their trip.

Traffic was backed up in the area for more than two hours.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/202435--ttc-bus-collides-with-truck-on-hwy-427

TTC bus crash sends 18 people to hospital

Toronto EMS officials say 18 people were transported to hospital with various injuries after a TTC bus was involved in a crash with a tractor-trailer during Wednesday morning's commute.

One person suffered serious injuries, while the remaining patients were treated for non-life-threatening injuries at three different hospitals, EMS officials told CP24.

Several bus passengers were complaining of neck and back pain following the crash, which occurred in Highway 427's southbound collector lanes at the Bloor Street bridge at about 7:30 a.m.

TTC spokeswoman Jessica Martin told CP24 a 191 Highway 27 Rocket bus was involved in the crash, and a second TTC bus was sent to the scene to pick up passengers who didn't go to hospital.

About 33 people were on the bus, she said.

Police are investigating the circumstances of the crash.

http://www.cp24.com/...5/?hub=CP24Home

The bus was 7963. It doesn't look like the damage is too bad, definitely not as bad as 7461.

That said - distracted operating is just that, and can lead to mistakes - but it is far less dangerous (in theory) to be operating a subway train than say a streetcar, bus or commuter train.
And yet more people are killed by subway trains in Toronto every year than streetcars or buses combined, even though we have about over 2,000 surface vehicles, compared to only about 120 train sets.

And yet more people are killed by subway trains in Toronto every year than streetcars or buses combined, even though we have about over 2,000 surface vehicles, compared to only about 120 train sets.

Not sure if that was supposed to be some sort of a joke... but people vaulting themselves out in front of a subway train with the intention of harming themselves doesn't really count. Little bit different then a collision on the surface. Not to mention all an operator is required to do is dump the train into emergency and what happens happens... once again ... little bit different then driving a bus where the operator has extra dimensions (ie the ability to steer the bus)

You're comparing apples to oranges. The majority of the deaths by subway are people jumping under their own power.

Are you kidding Nick? Trying to link the prevalence of suicides with distracted driving - regardless of mode - insults the intelligence of everyone here, not to mention your own.

Dan

If we were to believe everything the media says, it wouldn't be safe to do anything.

+1

Again the question if it's safe for buses to use the 427 carrying passengers.

Film buses on the highway and send it to a media outlet to really get your point across. I suggest the Toronto Sun!