Contact Us Form Not Being Responded To

The Big H 2014

Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the mods and/or admins since I never got any responses to the messages I sent using it.  It was rather frustrating not being able to communicate with anyone when registrations were closed while I was trying to create an account.  I'm concerned about future contact attempts by others – especially for important issues.

As an aside, no email addresses and/or outdated web sites is what I came up with when looking at the admin profiles.  I even tried using the CIRA's contact a domain holder form.  I had to post on a different forum just to get a response from someone who happened to already have an account here.

• Board Admin
On 11/10/2023 at 4:36 PM, The Big H 2014 said:

Just wanted to bring this to the attention of the mods and/or admins since I never got any responses to the messages I sent using it.  It was rather frustrating not being able to communicate with anyone when registrations were closed while I was trying to create an account.  I'm concerned about future contact attempts by others – especially for important issues.

As an aside, no email addresses and/or outdated web sites is what I came up with when looking at the admin profiles.  I even tried using the CIRA's contact a domain holder form.  I had to post on a different forum just to get a response from someone who happened to already have an account here.

Apologies, with the amount of spam accounts that we were receiving, we had disabled registrations altogether.

We will look into the emails and contact forms. Unfortunately, they do not get checked as often as we would like though.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Opal said:

I agree I have sent several messages trying to alert mods to inappropriate conduct on one forum and no one has responded.  I did reports and the contact form, no response and no action.

It's continued happening and something needs to be done about it.  If the mods can't handle it, then there should at least be automatic moderation that deals with obvious things like swearing and inappropriate words, and when those are caught, not only block or remove them, but give warning points to the users.

If it was done erroneously, then someone can dispute it.  But someone HAS to respond to the disputes so that is not abused either.

Just my two cents, but there are no guidelines against swearing on this forum so I don't see why it needs to be blocked.  There are times when swearing is contextually reasonable, and after all, this is not a forum designed for children anyway.  Different story if it's used derogatorily or to offend someone, then in that case it would violate rule number one.

Don't like it, then just ignore it, it's as simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Opal said:

Swearing is never reasonable.  Shame shame shame that this new generation of people on this forum think that.  IT'S NEVER RESPONSIBLE NOR RESPECTFUL and because of that is clearly in violation of the rules.

It's shameful the number of people on this forum that are defending this behaviour.

Saying ignore it is interesting because I can't ignore swearing if I haven't been able to tell it's swearing until I've read it (and therefore not ignored it).

If nothing is done about this I will make sure the moderators are aware by spamming all the forums with this until they do something.  If they ban me because of it, then it will show their true colours of what they want this forum to be going forward.  I've been on this forum since 2007 because I've been interested in public transit and to have informative discussions (and disagreements) about it and its future.  Not to have to write posts like this to point out that swearing of any type in a public forum is obviously disrespectful and unacceptable.

Last chance for the mods.  By Friday if nothing is done (meaning 9924 is banned for 2 weeks and apologizes on the forum in a post), expect messages from me daily on the forum that are very clearly against the rules and off topic in protest of the direction this site is going.

A few points. 

I agree that swearing is not called for, this is a public forum, not your drinking buddy's man cave.

Ignoring is not the answer. Ignoring does not solve anything. Too many people get away with murder because instead of speaking up, people would just rather ignore. Professor Dumbledore said it best " Harry, in life one must choose between doing what is easy or what is right" Too many trolley systems have been decommissioned because of going the easy route  (ignoring the facts regarding the benefits of trolleys).

However, Opal, spamming all the forums with your rage is also not going to solve anything. A friend of mine always used to say "No use two people being stupid" Please don't drag the mods through the dirt. They are busy with day jobs, families and pretty much the same things we all get busy with. They moderate the forum to the best of their ability, trying to keep peace on here and keep everyone happy. There is a huge demographic here, from older folk to young teens, and everyone seems to have a different standard of what constitutes 'responsible and respectable'.

Overall, it is still one of the best Transit Forums and we all should strive collectively to keep it thus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Opal said:

Swearing is never reasonable.  Shame shame shame that this new generation of people on this forum think that.  IT'S NEVER RESPONSIBLE NOR RESPECTFUL and because of that is clearly in violation of the rules.

It's shameful the number of people on this forum that are defending this behaviour.

Saying ignore it is interesting because I can't ignore swearing if I haven't been able to tell it's swearing until I've read it (and therefore not ignored it).

If nothing is done about this I will make sure the moderators are aware by spamming all the forums with this until they do something.  If they ban me because of it, then it will show their true colours of what they want this forum to be going forward.  I've been on this forum since 2007 because I've been interested in public transit and to have informative discussions (and disagreements) about it and its future.  Not to have to write posts like this to point out that swearing of any type in a public forum is obviously disrespectful and unacceptable.

Last chance for the mods.  By Friday if nothing is done (meaning 9924 is banned for 2 weeks and apologizes on the forum in a post), expect messages from me daily on the forum that are very clearly against the rules and off topic in protest of the direction this site is going.

One person swore twice in a thread, and it wasn't targeted towards anyone, not even a general group. A 2 week ban and a public apology? That's ridiculous.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Opal said:

By Friday if nothing is done (meaning 9924 is banned for 2 weeks and apologizes on the forum in a post),

Making a pariah out of every person who's committed the grievous crime of swearing seems like a great way to push the forum's userbase away.

I think this is a great idea - if the admins wanted to shut the forum down, but wanted to make sure no one would miss it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Opal said:

Your temper tantrums regarding this topic are really immature I have to admit.  I understand you might be frustrated, but typing in all caps and projecting an angry mood is not going to anything to solve the situation, in fact, it's probably making it worse if anything.

It is worth noting with a lot of millenials and Gen Z (myself included) swearing has been sort of integrated into regular conversation.  For some, it may be difficult to not use such language as a result of this. I also understand that with people who are older than me, swearing was often criticized.  It's for this reason that I choose to not use such language on a public discussion forum; I'll leave that to when I'm out with friends or in silly Discord chats.

With that said, however, since "no swearing" is not a rule on this discussion board, you can't tell people not to use it.  However, as I mentioned previously, the use of such words to defame, harass or ridicule other users should definitely fall under existing forum rules.

Before I close off, I appreciate @captaintrolley's viewpoint on the topic, the information that she is providing in her posts are done in a respectful and professional way.  These are the kind of posts makes me respect others opinions, even if the opinion is not one that I agree with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

Just my two cents, but there are no guidelines against swearing on this forum so I don't see why it needs to be blocked.  There are times when swearing is contextually reasonable, and after all, this is not a forum designed for children anyway.  Different story if it's used derogatorily or to offend someone, then in that case it would violate rule number one.

Don't like it, then just ignore it, it's as simple as that.

Agree 100% with @TechSpotlight. I do not see why they are making this out to be an issue when it wasn't even directed at anyone. To be honest, it just comes across as being too sensitive and immature with the way Opal chose to go about it. It'll only make it more likely that the admins will gradually become more annoyed and they might choose to give them the boot instead.....

Swearing and directing it at a specific person (i.e. being disrespectful)? Not acceptable. 

Swearing but not directing it at anyone though? Sure, but be careful with it obviously. I do understand where captaintrolley is coming from when they say it has no place here, but I do think we can allow it as long as it's not directed to someone and kept to a minimum. Asking for an apology and two weeks suspension applied to someone else just because they swore is downright laughable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Opal said:

I'd help but they don't want my help.  I offered (through the contact form which doesn't get responded to) ages ago and never got a reply.

Time to take a hint and move on.   I hope they do ban you and your dramatics.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/2/2024 at 7:45 PM, Opal said:

to see who else is completely unreasonable about no swearing.

tbh seems completely unreasonable to react to it so excessively and extensively, Karen.

Edited by 81-717
Wish I'd came up with this right away lol.
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Seems completely unreasonable to react to it so excessively and extensively tbh

Agreed, however swearing is disrespectful to the reader whether it is directed at someone or not. Your posts / comments etc will come across much more professionally if not festooned with 'colorful metaphors'. We can all strive for better. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Opal said:

And it worked and proved my point that there are way too many immature kids on this forum that no longer have the respect of anyone else and only care about themselves.

I find it disrespectful that someone would choose to police my language. I guess we are at an impasse, then.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Why are you making this into a generational culture war? Do you think your generation didn't swear or something?

Ever heard of George Carlin? The powers that be declared him swearing was so offensive that he got arrested for it. 7 times. If he was still around, he'd be 87. So much for this being a young person thing, eh? Every time a person criticizes younger people for swearing, or doing drugs, or engaging in promiscuity, they always frame their generation as being the paragon of moral virtue...

And really, of all the abominable things people use the internet for, swearing is what you choose to go after?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, T3G said:

I find it disrespectful that someone would choose to police my language.

Language should not require policing. Like I said, we can all do better. Let's all strive for posts / comments that we can be proud to submit.

I'm not saying you should drop expletives in every other word in your post, but swearing has become very much a regular part of speech, and sometimes it's all you can do to vent your emotions. Back in the pandemic when I was banned from going back home and encountering abusive customers on the daily, I would use curse words in just about every post that I made, as I had no alternative means of dealing with what I was feeling. If I got banned and was forced to issue an apology to the forum for the odious crime of saying how I felt about being homesick and stuck in a job I hated, that would be the end of my involvement with the forum.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, T3G said:

Ever heard of George Carlin? The powers that be declared him swearing was so offensive that he got arrested for it. 7 times.

Yes, most of us have heard of George Carlin. He was brilliant, his counter culture views were very much on point, but not because of the swearing. That was his schtick, but IMHO, he could have easily gotten his points across without the vulgarity.

Even many modern day stand up comedians nowadays swear to beat the band as part of their routine. However, those that stand out to me are the ones who can perform their routines without the need to swear. Swearing is easy. To entertain an audience solely on wit and humor is not as simple. Vulgarity does not improve the humor.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:58 PM, T3G said:

I find it disrespectful that someone would choose to police my language.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, T3G said:

but swearing has become very much a regular part of speech, and sometimes it's all you can do to vent your emotions.

as I had no alternative means of dealing with what I was feeling.

Exactly, if I'm upset about something I can't vent my emotions otherwise, and really don't appreciate being reprimanded on the spot for my language or for "being so negative all the time".

On 1/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, T3G said:

I'm not saying you should drop expletives in every other word in your post

lol did you mean: "I'm not f'n saying you f'n should f'n drop f'n expletives in every other f'n word in your f'n post".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...