TTC SRT Retirement Tracking

T3G

10 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Have they considered keeping two SRT cars for an historical fleet as the tracks between Midland and McCowan may soon permanently disappear for good? If not, they can donate some to HCRY, Seashore, etc…

You have to remember that the SRT, albeit old, is very much computerized, and the propulsion is a non-conventional linear induction motor.  You wouldn't be able to re-create that at a railway museum.

I think if any get donated to one, it will be purely for display, or towed by some other vehicle.

There is also the further complication that HCRR maxed out their available space when they acquired the CLRVs and ALRVs. If they wanted to get anything that wouldn't end up like the PCCs parked out back, they would need to build more.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, T3G said:

There is also the further complication that HCRR maxed out their available space when they acquired the CLRVs and ALRVs. If they wanted to get anything that wouldn't end up like the PCCs parked out back, they would need to build more.

Aren't a bunch of those CLRVs being held temporarily for other museums?

On 8/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, T3G said:

As I recall, the RT uses standard gauge. How easy would that be to regauge to TTC?

9 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

That’s the most minor of a laundry list of compatibility issues.

Well, I know that with PCCs and CLRVs, regauging is possible and commonly done. I have no idea if the RT buggies were set up with regauging in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta say, it was a pretty nice thing they put together for the SRT today.

Also heard Councillor Thompson make a remark about making sure at least one train set gets saved, so it looks like there's some political will to preserve something.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Archer said:

Gotta say, it was a pretty nice thing they put together for the SRT today.

Also heard Councillor Thompson make a remark about making sure at least one train set gets saved, so it looks like there's some political will to preserve something.

I wonder where this set will be displayed? HCRR?

On 9/23/2023 at 2:52 PM, Archer said:

What exactly makes the SRT more worthy of saving than the countless other vehicles retired over the past 20+ years that weren't saved? What was councilor Thompson doing/thinking back then?🤨 Why the double standard?? If it weren't for the whole line shutting down and they simply replaced the old trains with newer ones, would there still be as much hype about saving them? Probably not.

I also really enjoyed the event. One thing that the TTC has to be given a lot of credit for is that they do a lot of community events like this really well in the recent era. Be it the CLRV or ALRV last days, this, or the open houses they've had over the last few years, it's a far cry from the last trips of the Hawkers or the GMs, which were interesting if you were a photographer in the know, but were limited in scope and in public communication.

I had a look at car 3024/II to see if there were any visual clues as to its past identity. The interior fleet numbers were covered up really well, but one could see the 16 under the 24 on the outside of the car from a certain angle.

image.thumb.png.8b4bee2e81955c120115cd69edb271a9.png

3 hours ago, 5242 said:

Either HCRR or at Hillcrest

Why would it be Hillcrest? As any possible form of preservation would preclude running in service, there would be basically next to no opportunities to see the car if it was shut away at Hillcrest. Not that the historical streetcar fleet is much better these days, but it could theoretically be so, unlike with an SRT car.

There have been lots of other ideas put forward; I myself have toyed with the idea of mounting on a car on a plinth outside of the civic centre, or, latterly, repurposing the upper level at STC or Kennedy to an SRT museum. Then there is the Toronto Railway Museum downtown. Hillcrest seems to me to be the least logical place to put such a car.

5 hours ago, T3G said:

I also really enjoyed the event. One thing that the TTC has to be given a lot of credit for is that they do a lot of community events like this really well in the recent era. Be it the CLRV or ALRV last days, this, or the open houses they've had over the last few years, it's a far cry from the last trips of the Hawkers or the GMs, which were interesting if you were a photographer in the know, but were limited in scope and in public communication.

I had a look at car 3024/II to see if there were any visual clues as to its past identity. The interior fleet numbers were covered up really well, but one could see the 16 under the 24 on the outside of the car from a certain angle.

image.thumb.png.8b4bee2e81955c120115cd69edb271a9.png

Why would it be Hillcrest? As any possible form of preservation would preclude running in service, there would be basically next to no opportunities to see the car if it was shut away at Hillcrest. Not that the historical streetcar fleet is much better these days, but it could theoretically be so, unlike with an SRT car.

There have been lots of other ideas put forward; I myself have toyed with the idea of mounting on a car on a plinth outside of the civic centre, or, latterly, repurposing the upper level at STC or Kennedy to an SRT museum. Then there is the Toronto Railway Museum downtown. Hillcrest seems to me to be the least logical place to put such a car.

He has no more insight than anyone else. Nobody knows anything yet, and It could take any form…IF it happens.

Speaking strictly hypothetically, Kennedy would probably be the better spot for such an exhibit, as it will aways remain physically linked to the rapid transit network, and there are no future plans for the space (that I know about) and the lower structure isn’t going anywhere. STC station and it's ground level terminal should be razed wholesale in about a decade, if everything goes to schedule -THIS time around (cough- crosstown-cough)

• Like 3

I figured I'd share my photos of the final trains departing STC on Line 3. It's unfortunate to see it go the way it did but I rather enjoyed the event the TTC put on to help us all get a final look at the Scarborough RT. It was well worth the trip from Hamilton to get my final shots.

IMG_8481.thumb.JPG.f6f73689f350e0682efbde17c9a8b1b7.JPGIMG_8482.thumb.JPG.4237ed339dcbb0ad42c483909825ffda.JPGIMG_8516.thumb.JPG.cfe30579606714ff3819f5f0d2874072.JPGIMG_8524.thumb.JPG.4ab9df3f0bc33d3cfc38d054746ccd41.JPG

• Like 6

On 9/24/2023 at 10:29 AM, T3G said:

There have been lots of other ideas put forward; I myself have toyed with the idea of mounting on a car on a plinth outside of the civic centre

Now that would be a cool idea, since the SRT has been a unique landmark of Scarborough for nearly 40 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, Toro said:

Has any cars been disposed of yet? I'm wondering when they'll begin and if a new bid would be put up for their disposal

I'm wondering if for whatever reason they're waiting until after November 19th (original scheduled closure date) before they start to dispose of them. Once a vehicle fleet starts retiring, usually they'd start being disposed of in fairly short order (like the 79xx currently retiring, some of which have already been disposed of), although the last ones remaining might sit for a few months after retirement.