Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

On 5/7/2019 at 10:17 PM, Charlie said:

The OC Transpo website and official app will be receiving cosmetic updates (the app is way overdue, in my opinion) in the near future. The OC Transpo mobile website will also be retired, as the full website is changing so it will automatically adjust to fit your device’s screen.

News Article Here

The redone website has now gone live.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, Michel said:

Glad to hear a website refresh is on the way.  It could have used one years ago.  I guess I won't need my 14.4bps modem and Netscape navigator browser anymore ?

New website was launched today

WAYYYYYY Better than the old one

There appears to a few errors

The Vehicles' section:

1) the Alstom Trains(LRT) you click on more info and a page comes up Cannot  Display Page.

2)The O-Train if you click more info it brings to page that has no info on the trains

3)According to  Novabus buses its capacity is 104(I know this just an error)

4)Para Transpo doesn't say how many wheelchair postions or hoqw many it holds

5)and few minor errors here and there.

I'm guessing in the next little while they'll fix the errors.

The bus shelter at the east end of St-Laurent Station (closest to the street) that was under scaffolding for the past couple months has reopened and is now a sheltered bike lockup (looked like 3 or 4 post-and-ring bike posts inside each of the two wings of the shelter) along with getting a new coat of paint.

Must've reopened sometime this week or last week but I only noticed it tonight (which is embarassing given I get off there every morning...).

On a separate note, is OC planning to replace the current 60' buses with more DDs when they reach the end of their service life? Or are we eventually going to go back to buying more artics? I know there's plans to buy new buses to replace the current artic fleet during/ahead of Phase 2 LRT construction but I don't know if they're leaning in a specific direction.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, OCTranspoMaster said:

So apparently those black accessible shelters may have existed for quite a long time. Seen in this old video of a fire truck responding dashcam in Ottawa in 1998 shows an OC Transpo stop @ 4:59 with the retro "OC Transpo" Bus flag. 

https://youtu.be/2aP6zr7djD8

The Daytech shelters were the RMOC standard, so the timing fits.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:03 AM, OCTranspoMaster said:

On the sto when the 'Demande d'arrêt" is flashing, what does that mean? Does it mean to the passengers "look the hell up you moron, stop has already been requested"?

You got it!

On 5/14/2019 at 12:03 AM, OCTranspoMaster said:

On the sto when the 'Demande d'arrêt" is flashing, what does that mean? Does it mean to the passengers "look the hell up you moron, stop has already been requested"?

They actually say "Arrêt Demandé" as opposed to OC Transpo's "Stop Requested / Demande d'Arrêt"

On 5/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, OCTranspoMaster said:

So apparently those black accessible shelters may have existed for quite a long time. Seen in this old video of a fire truck responding dashcam in Ottawa in 1998 shows an OC Transpo stop @ 4:59 with the retro "OC Transpo" Bus flag. 

https://youtu.be/2aP6zr7djD8

A few of them have been around since the 1980s. I remember as a kid seeing one in Hunt Club on Paul Anka getting installed circa 1988. They were rare back then though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does remember taking the 179 back in the day? I can only remember one time that I did, but that's because I remember the 179 would come earlier than both the 118 and 166 when I and my father were going to Zellers before they opened to get first dibs on good deals, which for the record is still there, but acts as a liquidation store for (Hudson's Bay)?  Anywho, here is a map of the routing prior to cancellation that I made.

Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_179_(09-2009).gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Does remember taking the 179 back in the day? I can only remember one time that I did, but that's because I remember the 179 would come earlier than both the 118 and 166 when I and my father were going to Zellers before they opened to get first dibs on good deals, which for the record is still there, but acts as a liquidation store for (Hudson's Bay)?  Anywho, here is a map of the routing prior to cancellation that I made.

Ottawa-Carleton_Regional_Transit_Commission_route_179_(09-2009).gif

I used to take the 118 Hurdman (now the 88) from Kanata to Algonquin College and would see the 179 Nepean Centre coming the other way almost every morning, usually on Baseline.

Ironically, now I see the 158 Haanel (the replacement service that serves CANMET) almost every morning on my way to work, as I come from Bayshore and work very close to the Zeller's in question in Bells Corners.

I never took the 166 but always remembered it as kind of a waste of buses, as IIRC it was a two way loop between Bayshore and Bells Corners (there was the 166 Nepean North / Nord and the 166 Nepean Centre, which travelled counter-clockwise and clockwise, respectively).

• Like 1

Is STO also getting route & destination announcements?

I rode 0909 yesterday and I heard what sounds like a route & destination announcements similar to OC Transpo except in French only.

They do have the Next Stop Announcements however but in French only.

Can anyone confirm this?

21 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Is STO also getting route & destination announcements?

I rode 0909 yesterday and I heard what sounds like a route & destination announcements similar to OC Transpo except in French only.

They do have the Next Stop Announcements however but in French only.

Can any confirm this?

I've noticed the Rte Description is played prior to departure from a starting point. 

Example 33 Ottawa from Stn De La Citè 

This is Rte 33 Ottawa departing in 3 mins. 

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

I've noticed the Rte Description is played prior to departure from a starting point. 

Example 33 Ottawa from Stn De La Citè 

This is Rte 33 Ottawa departing in 3 mins. 

It's always been like that, at least when I've boarded Nova's before their scheduled departure.

3 minutes ago, Orion VI said:

Hey Ottawa folks,

I'm from toronto, and while exploring the Eglinton Crosstown Doors Open in Toronto, I spotted this near Mount Dennis Garage: IMG_1139.thumb.JPG.6b8988710559f1692a773d996a0aa2e7.JPGIMG_1140.thumb.JPG.a8c16d03d5e63e90f08118d6ceec824a.JPG

Just thought I'd let you know!

VI

Ugh... I miss the GM Classics! 

I think all of us here would be willing to pay the owner to come to Ottawa & Charter us around ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I've noticed on some artics that the rear windows have a sticker on them saying "This window does not open" or something like that.

I could have sworn there was a previous post on this but cannot recall where I saw it.

Is there a safety risk or something?

People complained about smelling fumes.

1 hour ago, wowzhao said:

Have there always been passenger counters installed on the buses here and I just never noticed? Or are they new? (saw some on 6575 tonight)

Yes. In fact, those date back to the fishbowls. OC Transpo used to have them installed on almost every model of bus (eg. 1992 Orion V, 1989 and 1991 MCI Classics, 1993 Nova Classics, 1989 D40s, Orion VI, 1998 Orion V).

Nowadays you will find them on many D60LFRs, not sure about other bus models currently in service.