2501 (New Flyer E60LFR): IN ACTION

Enviro 500

I went to OTC after school, hoping to see 2501 out on a road test so I could get photos of it (and share with you guys!) Anyway, god did indeed answer my prayer! As I was getting close to OTC, 2501 was making a right turn out onto 41st, and split its poles among the left-turn wire and the westbound wire! Therefore, I was able to set myself in "ready position" and captured the beauty! After she left, I waited at OTC for one whole damn hour for her return. She did indeed return at 5:15pm, after approximately 58 minutes of road test (so it left at around 4:17pm)

Here's a photo of her crossing good old 41st & Oak!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p38376407.html

and a shot of her making a left turn into OTC from 41st!

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/p38376364.html

For more photos, click on the link below:

http://www.trans-vancouver.fotopic.net/c1202337.html

Enjoy the photos!

Comments welcome! :mellow:

Dave

• Board Admin

Yeah, the official owner of 2501 right now is probably New Flyer, until they officially hand it over to TransLink. With the power steering problems on the E40LFs I don't know if TransLink will accept it until that's fixed. ;)

Wonder if 2501 is the same as the rest of the E40LFs as far as it's electric drive motor, anybody know if it has the same motor or one thats a bit more powerfull due to it's extra weight?

Same motor is what I have heard.

The motors on the E40LFR's are "governed" as in their actual maximium power isin't being used on full throtle acceleration. This is because the motors have more then enough power. So on the E60LFR, I would assume they would just govern the output power accordingly as well. I recall reading this somewhere, but please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Same motor is what I have heard.

The motors on the E40LFR's are "governed" as in their actual maximium power isin't being used on full throtle acceleration. This is because the motors have more then enough power. So on the E60LFR, I would assume they would just govern the output power accordingly as well. I recall reading this somewhere, but please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Precisely. Or as Derek Cheung put it,

"The E40LFR is software 'suppressed' from operating at the motor's maximum output. If allowed to go at the full potential, burn rubber!!!"

So I would assume the E60LFR would be software governed to "burn a little more rubber" than the E40LFR does. ;)

• Board Admin

E40LF:

Traction inverter IGBT direct pulse inverter Kiepe DPU 450

Input voltage DC 600 V (+20 %, - 30 %)

Output permanent/max. 250 kW / 600 KVA for t

Traction motor Force-ventilated three-phase

asynchronous motor

Type 19 ML3550 K/4

Rated output 240 kW

Rated voltage 420 V

Rated current 407 A

Rated frequency 50 Hz

Rated speed 1476 min-1

E60LF:

Traction inverter IGBT direct pulse inverter Kiepe DPU 450

Input voltage DC 600 V (+ 25 %, - 30 %)

Output permanent/max. 250 kW / 600 kVA for t

Traction motor Force-ventilated three-phase

asynchronous motor

Type 19 ML3550 K/4

Rated output 240 kW

Rated voltage 420 V

Rated current 407 A

Rated frequency 50 Hz

Rated speed 1476 min-1

From technical data by Vossloh Kiepe. From what I can tell, just the input voltage is different.

But the performance charts are also different:

ex0lfperformance.jpg

E40LF:

Input voltage DC 600 V (+20 %, - 30 %)

E60LF:

Input voltage DC 600 V (+ 25 %, - 30 %)

One of those is a typo. Even if the E60LFR can actually handle a higher line voltage, it's not going to need to in Vancouver--and so it won't affect performance.

While the Vossloh-Kiepe brochure people were kind enough to scale them differently, here are the two charts overlapping:

ex0lfperf.jpg

The performance of the two vehicles is pretty much the same, but the E60LF draws more current.

I'm surprised that they wouldn't power the middle axle, as was done with the San Fransisco E60LF's and as can be done (as claimed) by New Flyer on their DE60LF's.

And of course the E60LF's would draw more current....they require more force to get the bigger vehicle started.

Ashton, those numbers from Vossloh-Kiepe...are they continuous ratings, or 1hr/half-hour/short-term? And as well, do they have torque ratings available?

Dan

Ashton, those numbers from Vossloh-Kiepe...are they continuous ratings, or 1hr/half-hour/short-term? And as well, do they have torque ratings available?

Dan

If you haven't seen it, this file may or may not answer some of your questions. I believe it's where Ashton pulled some of his info. http://www.vossloh-kiepe.com/files/Vancouver_fr.engl_507.pdf

I'm surprised that they wouldn't power the middle axle, as was done with the San Fransisco E60LF's and as can be done (as claimed) by New Flyer on their DE60LF's.

Dan

When did NFI say they could power the middle axle?

Jeff

Martin: the file didn't have have the info. I haven't found it anywhere, actually.

Kevin: Yes, you're absolutely right, I did. Or rather, I should have ment E60's.

Jeff: I can't recall explicitly where they've said that, but in hindsight it couldn't have been in the literature for the DE60LF's they built for Seattle, as those use Allison's HybriDrive system.

Dan

2501 in motion...

http://members.shaw.ca/dennistt/2501reverse.avi

http://members.shaw.ca/dentsang/2501uturn.avi (using aux power)

http://members.shaw.ca/dentsang/2501forward.avi

Being on the other side of the fence, I couldn't get a great view. 2501 should spend more time outside OTC <_< These new trolleys go so fast on aux power compared to the old ones.

Nice to see artic trolleys in Vanocuver, definatly something to look for next time I'm in Vancouver. are there any routes planed to use them once they enter revenue service?

We've been told, but they people who tell us these things keep changing their mind. :huh:

At first the plan was to use them on routes 3 Main and 20 Victoria, then we heard they would be used on the 9 (Broadway), and now I don't know what the official word is.

Keep in mind though, any predetermined plan is always subject to change. The first production E40LFRs, before they began arriving, were originally going to be put on the 3 and 20, and the 8 as well I think, but when they did enter service they all ended up on 5 Robson/6 Davie. They then branched out onto the 9, and more recently (in the last couple of weeks before they went offline), they were making regular appearances on the 10 and 17.

All that being said, I personally wouldn't be surprised to see the artics split between the 9 and a couple of other routes. The complication with the artics has to do with the fact that all the bus stops they will serve must be lengthened, otherwise the bus won't fit. Main Street has been undergoing a complete rehabilitation which includes lengthening of all bus stops to accomodate artics, but Commercial Drive could be a problem. As for Broadway, only certain parts of it will need to be redesigned, because all of Broadway west of Granville regularly sees artics using all local stops - on the N17 UBC Nightbus. When 2501 enters revenue service testing we'll have to see how well it handles the bus stops on whatever routes it serves.

Well wasn't it more of a limitation of the current overhead power supply which is why the new trolleys could not serve Main Street (possibly also Fraser Street?). I think that is what forced them off regularly serving Main Street, not just someone's hand-waving yes or no.