TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

2 hours ago, meltingtomato said:

Minor capacity bump on the 506, assuming they manage to run at all? If the targets are all correct, then they'll all be gone come January anyway, but if they can get them out during the summer on any route, it will certainly be welcome.

Seems rather pointless for capacity - particularly given 506 doesn't have the summertime reduction in service it used to get - so presumably it won't be at peak again until late September/October when the Universities are back in. Lot of trouble for 1 or 2 ALRVs.

Sounds like the CLRVs and ALRVs will be all done by January. At this point, I think we've seen the end of the ALRVs other than perhaps a handful of runs on Bathurst, a last ceremonial goodbye, and the museum circuit.

• Like 1

when the active ALRVs last ran in revenue service

4204: Jan 19 2019

4207: May 15 2019

4221: May 15 2019

4226: Dec 27 2018

4228: Sep 16 2018

4230: Jan 19 2019

4236: Dec 14 2018

4249: Jan 18 2019

many of them have been in testing, with the exception of 4228 but not in revenue service

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jor said:

when the active ALRVs last ran in revenue service

4204: Jan 19 2019

4207: May 15 2019

4221: May 15 2019

4226: Dec 27 2018

4228: Sep 16 2018

4230: Jan 19 2019

4236: Dec 14 2018

4249: Jan 18 2019

many of them have been in testing, with the exception of 4228 but not in revenue service

4226 is being chopped up as we speak and loaded onto a flatbed

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

6 hours ago, Ultimate said:

4226 is being chopped up as we speak and loaded onto a flatbed

I saw it on the back of a flatbed truck (half of it actually) on Kingston Rd and Golf Club Rd around 3pm today

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It was not so long ago that 4226 was being outshopped from the life extension program...

29296057153_dcf93e4f78_z.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4226 - 01 by t6a5iii, on Flickr

29628505370_7bbc5f9bf9_z.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4226 - 02 by t6a5iii, on Flickr

Or was a part of the last hurrah for ALRVs on the 504.

37853465782_bedb229f5d_z.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4226 - 04 by t6a5iii, on Flickr

• Like 5

0EF75E63-8E36-4734-823A-DE129FD7D448.thumb.jpeg.cca1b62f782b5c025c43343a31d7a665.jpeg

So the TTC customer service was replying to someone’s tweet and said that Pantographs on CLRVs and ALRVs are still a possibility 

So I’m just asking for clarity, but there’s no way in hell that’s actually happening right ? 

Other note: 4089 in service 

4 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

0EF75E63-8E36-4734-823A-DE129FD7D448.thumb.jpeg.cca1b62f782b5c025c43343a31d7a665.jpeg

So the TTC customer service was replying to someone’s tweet and said that Pantographs on CLRVs and ALRVs are still a possibility 

So I’m just asking for clarity, but there’s no way in hell that’s actually happening right ? 

Probably not. I think the customer service reply is deliberately vague because they have no clue themselves. Certainly they don’t have the engineering department or technicians monitoring Twitter.

We’d probably violate the terms of use before the day was out.

I would, anyway.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Probably not. I think the customer service reply is deliberately vague because they have no clue themselves. Certainly they don’t have the engineering department or technicians monitoring Twitter.

I thought there were parts of the network, particularly on St. Clair, where you couldn't use poles any more? Nothing precludes putting pantographs on the historic Witt, PCC, and A/CLRV cars does it?

30 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I thought there were parts of the network, particularly on St. Clair, where you couldn't use poles any more? Nothing precludes putting pantographs on the historic Witt, PCC, and A/CLRV cars does it?

Imagine showing someone from the '30s a picture of the Peter Witt with electromagnetic induction equipment. Even just a pantograph would be strange...

Will the As and Cs be retrofitted with pantographs for service? No. There's no point, they will all be out of service before the overhead reaches the point of being pantograph-only.

(For the record, the only part of the system that is currently pantograph-only is St Clair, save for the short section between Bathurst and Vaughan. Cars are to run to St Clair from Roncy on their poles, and upon arriving at Bathurst and St. Clair, drop the poles and raise the pans. If the pan fails, than the pole is raised again and the car is sent back to the division by turning left onto St. Clair West and then left onto Vaughan, and a new car sent out.)

Will the couple of vehicles retained for historic service by the TTC be given pantographs? Yes. When will this happen? Who knows.

Dan

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Will the As and Cs be retrofitted with pantographs for service? No. There's no point, they will all be out of service before the overhead reaches the point of being pantograph-only.

(For the record, the only part of the system that is currently pantograph-only is St Clair, save for the short section between Bathurst and Vaughan. Cars are to run to St Clair from Roncy on their poles, and upon arriving at Bathurst and St. Clair, drop the poles and raise the pans. If the pan fails, than the pole is raised again and the car is sent back to the division by turning left onto St. Clair West and then left onto Vaughan, and a new car sent out.)

Will the couple of vehicles retained for historic service by the TTC be given pantographs? Yes. When will this happen? Who knows.

Dan

Actually, transition from pole to pantograph happens at Bathurst Stn now. Has been since earlier this year

12 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It was not so long ago that 4226 was being outshopped from the life extension program...

29296057153_dcf93e4f78_z.jpgToronto Transit Commission 4226 - 01 by t6a5iii, on Flickr

The "Short Turn" sign kind of says it all.

9 hours ago, nfitz said:

I'll give two answers, one flip and one serious.

The flip answer:  The biggest thing that precludes putting pantographs on the historic cars is the Toronto Transit Commission.

The serious answer:  There's nothing at all that rules out mounting pantographs on any of the historic cars.  The CLRVs famously ran with pantographs in Switzerland.  There are pictures of 4900 running on the Milhaven test track with a pantograph and I'm told that there are pictures of 4200 running with a pantograph there too.  My thought was it was probably because the wire was strung up for pan-only and they needed at least one ALRV running under its own power to move things around.  New Jersey Transit retrofitted their PCC cars with pantographs for their last few years of service.  Pittsburgh retrofitted a bunch of PCC cars with pantographs including some air cars that hung on pretty late.  MUNI put a pantograph on top of one of their double ended cars in the late 70s so it could run through the subway for testing before the line opened.  MBTA's 3295 got a pantograph at some point.  Countless euro PCCs had and have pantographs.  Tons of Milan Peter Witts had and have pantographs.  A pan was briefly put on a Pittsburgh car that was contemporary to the Peter Witts so it could run in Pittsburgh on loan from the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum for an opening ceremony for something.  It can definitely be done, so if the TTC doesn't, it's an issue of won't versus can't, so depending on how things go, my flip answer may or may not be so flip.

• Like 4

Anyone know what the deal is with 4065 ? It’s marked as retired, yet it isn’t stripped and I believe it still runs. It was in the service bays a while ago, now it’s at Leslie. Every time I’ve seen it, it has its pole up and it’s running, but it hasn’t seen service in months 

Is it perhaps another mule car ? 

12 hours ago, nfitz said:

That’s not what (Alex Rampaul ?‍♂️) et al,  asked. They didn’t specifically ask about the historic fleet.

The solution may just be as simple as ensuring they stay the hell out of St. Clair west station.

edit: apparently I’m slow on the uptake. I always reply thinking the post at the bottom of the page is the last.

Dammit.

• Like 2

I read through that page of Twitter and got a good reminder about why I don’t bother with social media.

Anyways, the comment about 4063’s rebuild being a failure was something else.  Taking it apart, cancelling the rebuild and kicking Siemens off site, and then not putting it back together again is a very interesting take on what “failure” is.