Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

I don't think it's worth pondering how many BBD fell short as is customary here and on the similar UT thread - the bottom line is that they are doing way better in 2018 than 2019, and considering the fleet MTBF is still bumbling along at 50% or less of contracted, there are bigger fish to fry...

On 12/31/2018 at 11:27 AM, dowlingm said:

I don't think it's worth pondering how many BBD fell short as is customary here and on the similar UT thread - the bottom line is that they are doing way better in 2018 than 2019, and considering the fleet MTBF is still bumbling along at 50% or less of contracted, there are bigger fish to fry...

It's still worth talking about! Bombardier has finally cleared the bar of 60 cars delivered in a year. 62 to be exact. This still falls way short of the promises made at the end of last year which called for 76 cars in 2018. 9 of the 62 cars delivered this year have needed 24 or more days before being cleared for service so questions of quality are also valid.

But where are the cars for Eglinton? Didn't Bombardier show pictures of those things earlier in 2018? Where are they now? Why are they missing in action like the streetcars?

2 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It's still worth talking about! Bombardier has finally cleared the bar of 60 cars delivered in a year. 62 to be exact. This still falls way short of the promises made at the end of last year which called for 76 cars in 2018.

Regardless of what promises Bombardier had made in the past, the TTC's 2018 target as published in official reports has been 64 cars commissioned for service. In reality, 62 cars have been delivered and 60 cars have entered service this year. However, there are currently four cars on property in various stages of commissioning, and a fifth one which will likely be on TTC rails tomorrow morning (Jan. 2). So, in conclusion: yes, they have missed the year-end target, but they missed it by very little. I think we can all live with that, considering that they are doing an astounding job compared to previous years.

2 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

9 of the 62 cars delivered this year have needed 24 or more days before being cleared for service so questions of quality are also valid.

4 of those 9 cars were commissioned during the summer months, which coincides with the vacation period for many staff members. So unless you have direct evidence that quality control is a problem, I wouldn't draw such a conclusion based on a few outliers in the data.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, bus_7246 said:

4518 was the car used to tow 4520 off of the flatbed rail car

Thanks for your post, but I think you've made a typo: it was car 4517 that was used to offload 4520 yesterday.

Car 4518 had only began on-street testing yesterday as part of its commissioning.

2 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Thanks for your post, but I think you've made a typo: it was car 4517 that was used to offload 4520 yesterday.

Car 4518 had only began on-street testing yesterday as part of its commissioning.

My bad. I had assumed as much since I knew the guys that were on board 4518

23 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

It's still worth talking about! Bombardier has finally cleared the bar of 60 cars delivered in a year. 62 to be exact. This still falls way short of the promises made at the end of last year which called for 76 cars in 2018. 9 of the 62 cars delivered this year have needed 24 or more days before being cleared for service so questions of quality are also valid.

As far as I understand it, the 76 target came about much earlier in 2017. The February 2018 CEO report (which seems to date from the first week in January given it reports 58 cars in service) says that the target for 2018 is 64 in-service and 65 delivered.

Either way though 60 in-service and 62 delivered is a significant improvement from the 27 that entered service during 2017, and the 17 that entered service during 2016.

They only need 80 more cars manufactured (plus 4401 which is being completed in Quebec). With them delivering 61 cars from Thunder Bay in 2018, then the remaining 47 cars from there seem to be easy enough. Can they deliver 33 more cars from Kingston this year? I think that's going to be the weak point. Or will they try and shuffle some production from Kingston back to Thunder Bay?

27 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Since Bombardier faces a stiff financial penalty for not fulfilling the 6 cars for Eglinton Cross, I wonder if they bump the TTC order aside till they complete the six car order.  

What plant are the Eglinton Cross vehicles being made at because they might suspend it at that plant to finish the manufacturing there and slow down the TTC delivery’s temporarily until they finish

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

What plant are the Eglinton Cross vehicles being made at because they might suspend it at that plant to finish the manufacturing there and slow down the TTC delivery’s temporarily until they finish

I believe that they are being built at the Kingston plant.

There are two production lines at Millhaven, they are capable of working on multiple cars at once. There are at least 3 Crosstown cars completed - 2 from Thunder Bay, 1 from Millhaven - and besides whatever else they've managed to build there, in theory they shouldn't have any issue with either getting 6 cars shipped to Toronto for the Crosstown, nor for getting additional Flexities completed for the legacy fleet.

Dan

19 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Car 4521 was offloaded at Hillcrest this morning (i.e. Thu, Jan. 3), with car 4505 used to tow it off of CP's flatbed car.

Thanks. I was about to ask if 4521 was off loaded yesterday or still waiting since nothing was posted here. Someone said it was off loaded yesterday in another thread and wanted to be sure on the date, since you know best.

Now, what plant will have the next car here and when will it be??

4518 went out last night testing with its GPS working. GPS has it outside Toronto, but in the Barns.

Looks like 4572 is ready to see service this weekend

16 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Thanks. I was about to ask if 4521 was off loaded yesterday or still waiting since nothing was posted here. Someone said it was off loaded yesterday in another thread and wanted to be sure on the date, since you know best.

Now, what plant will have the next car here and when will it be??

4518 went out last night testing with its GPS working. GPS has it outside Toronto, but in the Barns.

Looks like 4572 is ready to see service this weekend

Does 4572 still have black front fleet numbers?

On 1/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, nfitz said:

As far as I understand it, the 76 target came about much earlier in 2017. The February 2018 CEO report (which seems to date from the first week in January given it reports 58 cars in service) says that the target for 2018 is 64 in-service and 65 delivered.

Either way though 60 in-service and 62 delivered is a significant improvement from the 27 that entered service during 2017, and the 17 that entered service during 2016.

I don't know why you have an issue with me being as pedantic as you are. I only care about the numbers published before the year started not the numbers revised in mid stream and bottom line they didn't meet them. All well and good with relative improvements but as we're seeing with Eglinton they're still making promises they can't keep.

I believe Adelaide is OOS (save for the Spadina - Charlotte section), but Richmond between Church and York is used as a diversion route, I've seen a number of 501s and 504s using it back in November.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2019 at 5:38 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I only care about the numbers published before the year started not the numbers revised in mid stream and bottom line they didn't meet them.

If you only care about the numbers before the year started, than you are caring about the wrong numbers, and using the wrong information.

Whether you like it or not, the TTC is the ultimate judge of how well the contract is going and whether Bombardier is meeting it or not. Just because you want to believe that Bombardier should have built 76 cars when everyone else - including the TTC - is happy(-ish) with the 64/65 is your problem, and no one elses.

So yeah, please - try to hold Bombardier to account on that. We'll enjoy watching.

Dan