Vicinity Motor Corporation

MAX BRT

• 2 months later...

Any out there in Vancouver who have been following Grande West Vicinity buses leaving the plant to be delivered to various agencies...
Any of you seen any of the last 3 of the 2017 order for Burlington Transit, specifically 7029-17 to 7031-17? On the wiki and our sources out Burlington-way and Greater Toronto Area have all pretty much confirmed 7 buses, from 7026-17 to 7032-17, with only 7026, 27, 28 and 32-17 being in service thus far without any sign of the other 3 either on property or either in the process of being delivered.
In addition, Burlington Transit had put an order in for 7 buses for 2018 with an additional 3 to that order from the announcement in March through the  Public Transit Infrastructure Fund, making it 10 buses, delivery expected in May or June of 2018., Any news or updates if possible?

21 hours ago, MVTArider said:

A bit stale now, but, a few pics from the APTA Expo:

38682560572_9ea4bd5d2d_t.jpg 37826722885_4a6dacdb6f_t.jpg 37826718795_a4dece3016_t.jpg 37826652705_0468462f4c_t.jpg 24841822008_4ce4014f46_t.jpg

... and a couple un-obscured shots from MARTA yard visit with MBS:

38574702831_a1283d5430_t.jpg 24702532648_1032240438_t.jpg 37686634955_c0bf14260e_t.jpg

... and a short ride clip aboard one of the MARTA community routes:

37843624521_3a68a3a2db_t.jpg MARTA 1726 Ride by J. Mc., on Flickr

The CNG one look like was different.

Does CNG and 35 foot was dually wheel in the back?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chinese Daniel said:

The CNG one look like was different.

Does CNG and 35 foot was dually wheel in the back?

Can't confirm on the rear wheels as I didn't look specifically at those. This CNG is actually 32' and not 35' as I originally stated, thanks to Tilley for the correct info. Was informed by a sales rep it was 35', though as we know a busy sales rep at a tradeshow may not always be the best source on technical info ;)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

To nitpick, what about the few running around st. Jean sur Richelieu?

I'm wondering if they mean the first for the Association du transport urbain du Quebec. Perhaps they see Transdev as a private operator.

14 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

To nitpick, what about the few running around st. Jean sur Richelieu?

Many Transdev properties have Vicinities. This is the first major purchase of a bus by a ATUQ associated agency that is not Nova Bus.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MTL66 said:

This is the first major purchase of a bus by a ATUQ associated agency that is not Nova Bus.

I was going to say, is that trend of Nova-only purchases by ATUQ a result of Quebec favoritism or just out of convenience? The only orders of NF come from agencies outside the ATUQ, like URBIS, CITSV etc. And the situation is similar from an Orion perspective as well. 

Just now, MiWay0310 said:

I was going to say, is that trend of Nova-only purchases by ATUQ a result of Quebec favoritism or just out of convenience? The only orders of NF come from agencies outside the ATUQ, like URBIS, CITSV etc. 

I won't state my opinion on that, as I have no proof in my statement.

Funding for new buses is given in priority to Quebec Based compagnies

4 minutes ago, MTL66 said:

I won't state my opinion on that, as I have no proof in my statement.

Funding for new buses is given in priority to Quebec Based compagnies

Okay, interesting. I was just finding it peculiar that agencies on the other side of Canada are willing to purchase Novas, yet QC operators, at least the ones under ATUQ rarely ever get a diversified roster of buses. 

Edit: Never actually, at least until now. 

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:
12 hours ago, Andru said:

Well, there are more Xcelsiors in Quebec than there are LFS' in Manitoba! Buying local is probably encouraged everywhere.

This is true. 

Frankly, this doesn't apply to Ontario, though, since the demise of Orion. But since it's only 6 hours from Nova Bus's factory to the GTA (not much farther than the journey to Saguenay), it's sort of like buying local when it comes to how long it takes for the finished product to be delivered from a logistical perspective.

6 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Frankly, this doesn't apply to Ontario, though, since the demise of Orion. But since it's only 6 hours from Nova Bus's factory to the GTA (not much farther than the journey to Saguenay), it's sort of like buying local when it comes to how long it takes for the finished product to be delivered from a logistical perspective.

I disagree there. I don't think the delivery time is as important as the actual manufacturing of the buses. The road trip at worst, takes a few days. I think what agencies are most concerned about is how fast can manufacturers pump out quality buses. Take the TTC w/ the BBD LFLRV issue. The delivery time isn't as big of an issue as the time to produce the cars themselves. The actual ferrying trip is only a few days. 

Don't get me wrong though, there is an incentive to buy Nova as a QC agency since St. Eustache is relatively close to the agencies under ATUQ, and only a few hours from other cities which offer public transport in QC. I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things, its not a huge issue compared to the actual manufacturing of them. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Looks like the engine is arranged in a more conventional T-drive set up versus the transverse design they’ve gone with up to now.

That back axle sure appears to be shifted forward compared to previous models.

This: BCC5C803-D63D-41B1-BDBE-5E4E4A1585E5.thumb.jpeg.b7b36183b46854e7db4a3c65ed2d2480.jpeg

compared to this: DDBF5E30-9520-4275-B0E3-417D61C38CC8.thumb.jpeg.7aaede2af656e5bf432b5fa0ae8d2640.jpeg

The rear axle is not shifted forward, rather there is an additional 2.5' (approximately) added to the rear which makes the bus around 32' long rather than 30', allowing for a traditional T drive setup with dual rear wheels. The rear of the 35' version is also designed this way.

The giveaway is the last passenger windows at the rear are about half the size on the 27' and 30' versions compared to the 32' and 35' version. Hard to tell from the first photo due to the wrap, here's come more clear ones from flickr that show it, from users "J. Mc." and "Articulated":

It seems the 32' version came about because of the customer insisting on a T-drive design, I assume Grande West would offer this version to other customers that insist on T-drive designs as well. 

38682560572_9ea4bd5d2d_z.jpgVicinity 32' CNG Demonstrator by J. Mc., on Flickr

25544950628_f570a0e745_z.jpgBurlington Transit 7026-17 by Articulated Photos, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2