O-Train Line 1 | The Confederation Line

7 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Until further notice, R1 replacement service in effect for the entire line. Looks like they are working to get the trains back to the yard to avoid further damage or problems getting around the derailment. 

I think it will be a few days until the derailed train can be removed safely and the signalling equipment repaired. Making sure that once the repairs are done and everything works correctly. 

Not just repairs, I foresee a full on investigation (possibly TSB involved) which may take longer then “just a few days”

• Like 1

Patrick Uguccioni is a former staffer who worked with then-Mayor Larry O'Brien who now runs several local community newspapers called "Your Community Voice". He attended the media briefing and did a 6-part tweet. I will copy-and-past Tweets 3 and 4:

On 9/19/2021 at 9:59 PM, JCL said:

There are a couple of pictures on Twitter showing a bunch rocks on the westbound platform of Tremblay Station (note that the derailed train stopped west of Tremblay, between Tremblay and Hurdman). 

Through media reports, TSB's preliminary finding suggests that the train derailed as it arrived Tremblay Station, then departed Tremblay Station already derailed before coming to a complete stop between Tremblay and Hurdman.

Article links:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/derailed-lrt-train-was-off-the-tracks-when-it-pulled-into-station-and-crossed-a-bridge-federal-agency-says
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/lrt-train-had-already-derailed-before-reaching-station-but-kept-going-tsb-1.5594646
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lrt-derailment-tsb-details-1.6184095?cmp=rss

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCL said:

Transportation Safety Board has issued a safety letter regarding the derailment incident on August 8, 2021 near Tunney's Pasture.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/securite-safety/rail/2021/r21h0099/r21h0099-617-02-21.html

It should be criminal negligence to put a train that was pulled out of service for a fault and was not inspected before being put into service. Heads need to roll.

The TTC has been running streetcars for a 100 years and they dont have issues with overheating bearings or defective cars being put back into service without inspection. So there must be something wrong with their process in maintaining and inspecting vehicles. 

And i hope they do something before someone gets killed. 

There is no alert in the cab for hot axle bearings? That should be a standard feature. 

Just now, Shaun said:

It should be criminal negligence to put a train that was pulled out of service for a fault and was not inspected before being put into service. Heads need to roll.

The TTC has been running streetcars for a 100 years and they dont have issues with overheating bearings or defective cars being put back into service without inspection. So there must be something wrong with their process in maintaining and inspecting vehicles. 

The train was not put back into service (it was deadheading to the yard) and the car that derailed was not the one that had been inspected.

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

There is no alert in the cab for hot axle bearings? That should be a standard feature. 

The TSB letter comments on this.

18 hours ago, Shaun said:

To the best of my knowledge, no rapid transit equipment built anywhere in the world is equipped with any sort of bearing monitor. As they are maintained in one (or relatively few) locations, and are inspected more often than full-sized railway equipment, it is felt that they are not needed.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Noticed this evening that the Fare Gates/Washrooms  at Hurdman are now available (with staff guarding the Stairs/Elevators ) 

So if I’m correct, the following Stations are accessible (Fare gates only) . Tunneys past (Washrooms closed)  , Hurdman (Washrooms Open) & Blair (Washrooms open?) with the rest closed. 

Just now, Oc4526 said:

Noticed this evening that the Fare Gates/Washrooms  at Hurdman are now available (with staff guarding the Stairs/Elevators ) 

So if I’m correct, the following Stations are accessible (Fare gates only) . Tunneys past (Washrooms closed)  , Hurdman (Washrooms Open) & Blair (Washrooms open?) with the rest closed. 

The washrooms at Blair Station are open, and have always been open during past planned/unplanned closure. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Tunneys past (Washrooms closed)

To be honest it's so stupid they're not mitigating their own design flaw. They can close platform 2, while having either signs or pylons or something giving a visual aid along platform 1 that there's no train service, but no... they close the whole station which locks people out to use the facilities.

Think people are just gonna visit another station that has one opened? Well, if they're going further west via BRT, chances are they'll just go along the outer edges of the stations (from what I've seen) and it's unacceptable that people have to see that because of this stupid station design. Let's set aside bathroom breaks... what about happy Goat coffee? They're still not open, but inherently they have to stay closed, putting the people out of a job until the station reopens, nevermind let's say, a diabetic needs a quick sugary snack to stay alive...

13 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

To be honest it's so stupid they're not mitigating their own design flaw. They can close platform 2, while having either signs or pylons or something giving a visual aid along platform 1 that there's no train service, but no... they close the whole station which locks people out to use the facilities.

Think people are just gonna visit another station that has one opened? Well, if they're going further west via BRT, chances are they'll just go along the outer edges of the stations (from what I've seen) and it's unacceptable that people have to see that because of this stupid station design. Let's set aside bathroom breaks... what about happy Goat coffee? They're still not open, but inherently they have to stay closed, putting the people out of a job until the station reopens, nevermind let's say, a diabetic needs a quick sugary snack to stay alive...

The mezzanine at Tunney's Pasture was never closed. There was some confusion the first day, but it was resolved before morning peak. The Happy Goat at the location is also incomplete, so no snacks even before the train had its oopsie. The diabetics I know always have a snack on hand. Like...always.

• Thanks 2