Nova Bus LFS 2010 #8101-8130

BCT-3122-D800-10240

I meant by giving you guys choice! I don't know exactly too. :P<_<

The EPA 2010 engines use the urea solution to help further reduce pollutants. The tailpipe design is to help dissipate heat from the regeneration of the particulate filter. This is present on both EPA 2007 and EPA 2010-compliant buses. The tailpipe design on the Calgary buses, seem to have been refined however.

I'm so excited the Nova's finally arrived in Calgary :P. I wish they went with the perimeter seating and frameless windows that BC Transit went with on their last batch of LFS. Air conditioning isn't a major concern here in Calgary. Too bad they are out of SG, means I won't be able to ride them much unless I go out of my way to find them.

I'm so excited the Nova's finally arrived in Calgary :P. I wish they went with the perimeter seating and frameless windows that BC Transit went with on their last batch of LFS. Air conditioning isn't a major concern here in Calgary. Too bad they are out of SG, means I won't be able to ride them much unless I go out of my way to find them.

Sorry, but as an Operator, A/C is a must when you gotta drive these buses in the summer for 8 hours in a day.

SOOO jealous!

I think the manufacturers are getting away from standard vents in favor of auto-style fan venting systems (defrost), the advantage to this (in theory) is that the air is run through a filter and that there are more options as to the amount of air and the direction it is blown in. On our (TTC's) shitty NG's the defrost 'vent' option is a limited time offer, after about 1 year it just blows heated air regardless of fact it is not set on 'heat'.

On a hot day if we get an NG without working A/C it's a change-off, they have zero air flow and no vents. :P

• Board Admin

I think those fans that you can direct (like the one on the dash) would be more useful than the fans part of the climate system - it's more direct air and gives a better cooling sensation than hot air blowing through vents...

(I'm just imagining on a hot day in a car that has been sitting in the sun for hours - the climate system blows warm air regardless of temperature setting unless you have AC then you wait a couple of minutes, but if you had a battery powered fan pushing air directly at your face it would be better)

At least give the drivers A/C, I'm surprised unions haven't fought harder for it as overheating is a health risk on the job.

That same argument is being used by KMB in Hong Kong to pressure the government for funding to buy new buses sooner, to accelerate the retirement of the remaning non-air conditioned buses in the fleet.

So I see the Calgary Nova's have the "wait for green light, wave hand here" decals on the rear doors. Yay, nothing like confusing people like you see in Halifax's fleet.

Are you guys sure there's no AC? The LFS models I drove for Coach Canada had a 3 way switch alongside the other overhead switches, it was AC - Off - Heat. You have no control over the temperature settings, that was all done by the programable thermostat but is wasn't obvious you had A/C capabilities unless you looked at the icon on the switch. I can't see them making it like an oven for the drivers in 2010.

So I see the Calgary Nova's have the "wait for green light, wave hand here" decals on the rear doors. Yay, nothing like confusing people like you see in Halifax's fleet.

We already have that on the 2006 and newer NFI's as well. So it's nothing new.

Are you guys sure there's no AC? The LFS models I drove for Coach Canada had a 3 way switch alongside the other overhead switches, it was AC - Off - Heat. You have no control over the temperature settings, that was all done by the programable thermostat but is wasn't obvious you had A/C capabilities unless you looked at the icon on the switch. I can't see them making it like an oven for the drivers in 2010.

I will be taking another look at them later today. I'll check again.

We already have that on the 2006 and newer NFI's as well. So it's nothing new.I will be taking another look at them later today. I'll check again.

There's no A/C for the passengers (obviously) but I have no idea for the driver.

The driver and passenger areas are not separated therefore your couldn't A/C one without the other, most drivers I've talked to here say that while un-A/C'ed LFSs are hell for passengers the drivers window opens wide enough that driving them isn't so bad. As for the roof mounted unit, I can tell it does not have A/C unless they've hugely changed the design in the past half a year, compare Peter's photos with this one which DOES have A/C

ddbb3a0d40d7363888e2432aafe746185g.jpg

"We already have that on the 2006 and newer NFI's as well. So it's nothing new."

I've seen the "virtual" touch bars on the NewFlyers, especially on the artics but those spot the beam on a very narrow and accurate location. The Nova's single beam overhead often isn't properly aimed and will get out of out of position in time. Where people are used to putting their hand within an inch of the door will eventually turn into a frantic waving in a 12 to 18" square area and 6 to 12" away from the decal. In Halifax, Moncton and Montreal I just cheat if I realise the beam is wonky - reach up and break the beam close to the fixture itself.

The driver and passenger areas are not separated therefore your couldn't A/C one without the other, most drivers I've talked to here say that while un-A/C'ed LFSs are hell for passengers the drivers window opens wide enough that driving them isn't so bad. As for the roof mounted unit, I can tell it does not have A/C unless they've hugely changed the design in the past half a year, compare Peter's photos with this one which DOES has A/C

I like the rims on the Nelson units, the exaust pipe is different too, I bet CT will change the pipe on the Nova units.....

I like the rims on the Nelson units, the exaust pipe is different too, I bet CT will change the pipe on the Nova units.....

Probably not. At the least, it probably won't get changed to a regular, straight pipe like the New Flyer's. Apparently the designs of these pipes allow heat to dissipate, likely heat from the particulate trap.

Apparently, New Flyer's design doesn't require a spilt pipe where as Nova and Gillig (not sure about Orion) do. Found this out from some tender documents out of Fresno where the split pipe was listed as a requirement and in the questions and answers, New Flyer explained their design doesn't require the split pipe.

I don't think those pipes are REQUIRED for Novas, just recommended, BC Transit's 09/10 LFSs don't have it while TransLink's (and now CT's) do. One thing I notce CT's are lacking is the fresh air vent at the driver's feet, I noticed today that all of ours have that so I guess all bets are off in terms of whether these will be bearable in the summer B)

I don't think those pipes are REQUIRED for Novas, just recommended, BC Transit's 09/10 LFSs don't have it while TransLink's (and now CT's) do.

Uhm, every new buses built now have this pipe, from what I've seen. The new STM buses now have this thing (30-095 +). But what's weird is that the demo bus (STM 30-256U) for EPA 2010 engine's pipe is now removed (or washed away)...

So far I have seen the following Nova's on the property; 8101, 8103, 8104, 8105, 8107, 8108. I believe 8102 has been seen by others as well.

And just 20 minutes ago on my way home from work, I found 8111 and 8110 parked at a Truck Stop by Piegan Trail and 50th Ave. S.E. They will probably be washed up tomorrow morning and on CT property by the time I get to work in the afternoon.

180810_02692ct8110.jpg

180810_02693ct8110.jpg

180810_02698ct8111.jpg

180810_02700ct8110.jpg

So far I have seen the following Nova's on the property; 8101, 8103, 8104, 8105, 8107, 8108. I believe 8102 has been seen by others as well.

And just 20 minutes ago on my way home from work, I found 8111 and 8110 parked at a Truck Stop by Piegan Trail and 50th Ave. S.E. They will probably be washed up tomorrow morning and on CT property by the time I get to work in the afternoon.

8102 in SG diesel shop... 2nd last lane from the North Exit next to 8105.

They are driven out here by a company who does deliveries and such of new vehicles (And possibly used vehicles? Not sure though)

There's something that I still don't get it... The drivers. If they, for example, come from Plattsburgh and they are in Calgary now, how do they manage to go back home?