Sign in to follow this  
BCT-3122-D800-10240

Nova Bus LFS 2010 #8101-8130

Got comfirmation today that Nova did in fact get the contract for the next order of buses for Calgary. I am not sure if we will see Articulated Nova's just yet (Especially with a delivery just starting in the last day or two of 22 more D60LFR's), as from what I understand we are still in a contract with NFI for more articulated buses on top of what we are now receiving. As for how many Nova's, I am not sure at this point, so we shall have to wait and see, but I heard the first ones may begin arriving in January of 2010. This is all I have for info at this point and will post if I hear anything more.

Great news! It looks like Peter's dream of driving Novas in Calgary will actually come true :lol:

Any ideas of the transmission they will have?

Most likely Allison (B400R), since that's what they have on their D40LFs.

Most likely Allison (B400R), since that's what they have on their D40LFs.

Yeah, I think I'll agree with that option, but the time will tell!

Yeah, I think i'll agree with that option, but the time will tell!

Calgary has been ordering Allison for a while now, so it's pretty much standarize!

WHOOOOOOHOOOO! I'm hoping the Calgarian drivers will like the LFS!

Sweet!!!!! My dreams have come true :lol: I love NovaBus's and missed only riding them for a short time time back in Vancouver when they only got their first batch. These actually might look good in the Red, White and Grey livery (better than D40LF's at least)

Change is good! :lol: Gotta admit though that I like the looks of NFI's Xcelsior but either way I can't wait to see the first of these buses in the red livery as I'm sure they'll look good. I suppose these are LFS(s) and not HEV(s)?

New Flyer loses, at least partially, yet another customer it looks like.

This leaves Edmonton, Winnipeg and the Ontario consortium as the 3 biggest operators who might still be buying New Flyer's.

Halifax went with Nova for 60 artics

Ottawa went with Orion for 40' low floors

Regina and Strathcona have been dedicated Nova customers since 2005 or so.

Vancouver and BC Transit have gone to Nova for 40' diesels and hybrids

Saskatoon has 3 Nova artics coming, although that doesn't mean they will buy 40' Nova's, it is a step in the door for Nova there.

All of these properties were practically shoe ins for New Flyer during the late 90's and early-mid 2000's. Nova Bus must be doing something right!

So will these Nova's be like the Nova's in Vancouver: ?

lfs1.jpg

Because I really enjoyed the layout of the Nova's in Vancouver.

I am always game for new buses. Between these Nova's and the Siemens SD160's....2010 is going to be a really good year.

Any ideas of the transmission they will have?

Like another member on the board mentioned, I am thinking they will be Allison transmissions as well. CT was not happy with the ZF transmissions in the fifty 1993 D40LF's and 49 were swapped out to Allison B400R's. (#7516 never got the retrofit due to being written off long before). They might get Voith transmissions, but not sure about that. We shall see I guess.

what will they be numbered

I have no idea. Will post if I find out anything.

Like another member on the board mentioned, I am thinking they will be Allison transmissions as well. CT was not happy with the ZF transmissions in the fifty 1993 D40LF's and 49 were swapped out to Allison B400R's. (#7516 never got the retrofit due to being written off long before). They might get Voith transmissions, but not sure about that. We shall see I guess.

ZF has improved over the last decade, but alot of transit authority are too afraid touching that brand ever again! It does cost high on rebuild but don't know if it's dropped today.

My bet is they start at 8500 or 9000.

I was thinking 5500's. Who knows!

ZF has improved over the last decade, but alot of transit authority are too afraid touching that brand ever again! It does cost high on rebuild but don't know if it's dropped.

Yes I have noticed the ZF's have improved quite a bit and was rather impressed with the ZF transmissions in Vancouver's diesel Nova's. But yeah Calgary will probably avoid them after the costs they had to go through retrofitting the old ZF's form the 1993 D40LF's.

Yes I have noticed the ZF's have improved quite a bit and was rather impressed with the ZF transmissions in Vancouver's diesel Nova's. But yeah Calgary will probably avoid them after the costs they had to go through retrofitting the old ZF's form the 1993 D40LF's.

Well, Vancouver could have gone with Allison as for standarize but they seem to trust Nova to give recommendation.

Anyway, I have to see how well CT will spec. their buses if it's similar to Vancouver.

Well, Vancouver could have gone with Allison as for standarize but they seem to trust Nova to give recommendation.

Anyway, I have to see how well CT will spec. their buses if it's similar to Vancouver.

Agreed. However, I don't recall Vancouver every operating a fleet of buses with ZF transmissions before the Nova's, so they would be much more willing to try out the ZF than Calgary would be.

Agreed. However, I don't recall Vancouver every operating a fleet of buses with ZF transmissions, so they would be much more willing to try out the ZF than Calgary would be.

One thing is CT needs Allison to downgear the transmission during bad winter storm anyway.

So will these Nova's be like the Nova's in Vancouver: ?

Because I really enjoyed the layout of the Nova's in Vancouver.

I am always game for new buses. Between these Nova's and the Siemens SD160's....2010 is going to be a really good year.

Most likey they will be the same. The seat layout might be different but apart from that probably the same.

Ah yes! Very true. That can't be done on the ZF's?

Nope, neither does Voith.

Just curious, are HID headlights standard on the Nova buses? I noticed that Translink Nova(s) are equipped with them.

I belive halogen headlights are standard.