Wheel-Trans

Read my original post - I stated that W100 (and only W100) was converted into a Community Bus, and that's why it has the Luminator.

The rest aren't being converted, therefore there is no need for a sign, right?

As for replacing the Orion IIs, no one seems to know what is going on with them right now other than they are still running pretty well right now.

Dan

The TTC needed W100 to be a Community Bus for expansion of the CB fleet as a new CB route (406) was implemented last month, so no replacements will be needed in the near future AFAIK.

The TTC needed W100 to be a Community Bus for expansion of the CB fleet as a new CB route (406) was implemented last month, so no replacements will be needed in the near future AFAIK.

No. 406 (the Variety Village link) does not use a Community Bus. It runs using conventional Wheel-Trans equipment (aka an ELF or Friendly Bus). As far as I'm aware there isn't even an exposure programmed into W100 or any of the IIs for the 406.

The 406 has existed for a while now, just that it wasn't widely advertised. After the election issue about Variety Village not having a proper transit connection, the route was increased to a 30 minute frequency and given an official number and published schedule.

W100 was only modified to serve as an extra spare for the now-20 year old IIs (as they were starting to have problems being able to ensure there were enough IIs for service).

No. 406 (the Variety Village link) does not use a Community Bus. It runs using conventional Wheel-Trans equipment (aka an ELF or Friendly Bus). As far as I'm aware there isn't even an exposure programmed into W100 or any of the IIs for the 406.

The 406 has existed for a while now, just that it wasn't widely advertised. After the election issue about Variety Village not having a proper transit connection, the route was increased to a 30 minute frequency and given an official number and published schedule.

W100 was only modified to serve as an extra spare for the now-20 year old IIs (as they were starting to have problems being able to ensure there were enough IIs for service).

most of the Variety Village 406 runs do have a Variety Village cardboard sign in the window of the wheel-trans bus

• 1 month later...

Apparently, 9890 and 9891 are ex-New York. They were bought and refurbished by the TTC to be put into service because there were some problems they needed to work out on the Friendly buses when they were new. Also, there are about 110 ELFs left in service right now.

Apparently, 9890 and 9891 are ex-New York. They were bought and refurbished by the TTC to be put into service because there were some problems they needed to work out on the Friendly buses when they were new. Also, there are about 110 ELFs left in service right now.

IIRC also on the tour the guy was saying the 50 rebuild ELF's should last about 3-5 years with the TTC all depending on funding

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

88 split over 4 years originally. Not sure if they reduced the numbers since 2008.

Is this evenly split over the 4 years, so 22 every year? Also the 4 years are 2011-2014?

W24X and W249 heading west on the 401 near Bowmanville last Saturday.

The highest I've seen in service so far is W234. Is W249 the highest one delivered so far?

Under the Sales page on the TTC's website they have listed 10 ELFs for sale. Unfortunately the links to the info page for the sale and the bidders list don't work.

Is this evenly split over the 4 years, so 22 every year? Also the 4 years are 2011-2014?

The highest I've seen in service so far is W234. Is W249 the highest one delivered so far?

According to a report released by the commission on August 23, 2010, they have exercised the option to order 88 more buses at a accelerated rate (due to frequent ELF breakdowns). 48 for 2011 and 40 for 2012, were the totals listed on the report. So we can assume the 48 for 2011 is the batch currently being delivered, and next year we are due for the 40 that were supposed to arrive for this year.

Link to the report

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2010/Aug_23_2010/Reports/Procurement_88_Low_F.pdf

The highest unit that I have seen is W249 sitting at Lakeshore waiting for PDI.

According to a report released by the commission on August 23, 2010, they have exercised the option to order 88 more buses at a accelerated rate (due to frequent ELF breakdowns). 48 for 2011 and 40 for 2012, were the totals listed on the report. So we can assume the 48 for 2011 is the batch currently being delivered, and next year we are due for the 40 that were supposed to arrive for this year.

Link to the report

https://www.ttc.ca/A...nt_88_Low_F.pdf

The highest unit that I have seen is W249 sitting at Lakeshore waiting for PDI.

Thanks for that link. I believe I've seen it before but lost the link myself.

While were on the topic of the Friendly Buses, someone posted a year or two ago how some of them have black doors while the others have white/silver doors. Based on my observations it seems to be W100-W162 have white/silver doors, W163-W199 have black doors and W200 & W201 have white/silver doors. I have yet to confirm W202-W209 but IIRC W202 and W204 have black doors. Also, all the newer buses (W210 and up) that I've seen have black doors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They're one of the few dealers in the greater Toronto area willing to perform warranty repairs on them.

The friendly bus is so modified, most ford dealers run away scared upon seeing it.

Warranty work on pick up diesels like that are typically a money losing proposition for the dealer as a rule, and the shy away from them outright.

A select few capitalize on that however.